Talbert St Claire posts Low whistle videos to Youtube

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Talbert St Claire posts Low whistle videos to Youtube

Post by greenspiderweb »

Got this from Talbert St. Claire earlier today, (I think only because I posted publicly that I liked his recorded version of May Morning Dew), and although I don't communicate with him, I thought I would pass it on just in case someone might be interested, as he is not a Chiff member any longer: (His version of May Morning Dew on a Kerry Pro Low D, in his car):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1_GBJWXIGU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhi6S5HAnZo

Talbert St. Claire has shared a video with you on YouTube

Hello Barry,

I dedicated this video to you! How have you been? I was hoping that if you don't mind, can you Please share my new 2014 channel and this here slow-air to board members on chiff and fipple. I am no longer a member. Will you please share this with the board? Please don't tell them that I told you to do this. I am seeking some help and so many others will learn from all the coming tutorials. By the way, I hope that you like both videos. p.s. There will be lots of tutorials up in the very near future. For every piece I perform there will be a tutorial that will follow. Lots of teaching and all for FREE!! Let me know please what you think. Thank you Barry! Talbert St Claire

Part 1: The May Morning Dew (Slow Air) Kerry-Pro Tunable Low D
by Talbert St. Claire

First, I dedicate the video to Mr. Barry otherwise known as "green spider" on the chiff and fipple whistle forum. I am happy that you enjoyed my recorded version and hopefully this here video version is satisfactory. There is also a "tutorial" for this air. See Part 2.

Recorded 02/08/2014

Davy Spillane popularized this air without question. I also recorded it many years ago. This I have to say is my favorite air of all time! It has so many different emotions attached to it. I improvised it without knowing exactly how I would approach it again after so many years being away from it. See Part 2 if one is seeking to learn this. Feel free to subscribe to my channel. There will be lots of tutorials coming soon. Every piece I play will feature a video tutorial that will follow. Thank you

Personally, I like his earlier recorded version much better, but some might want to tune in to his channel and learn the piece as he plays it, or keep tabs on what he is up to, possibly. There was no email to reply back to him, (sent via noreply@youtube), even though he said to let him know what I thought. But when I had contacted him years ago, he told me not to write back and forth, as he preferred not to, so here is my reply and requested referral to his youtube channel postings, anyway, for those whom it might hold an interest.

[ Moderator Note: Added Part 1 ]
~~~~
Barry
fearfaoin

Re: Talbert St Claire posts Low whistle videos to Youtube

Post by fearfaoin »

He certainly is being like the palm tree there.

I can't place his accent in the tutorial. For some reason, I had him pegged as Scandinavian, but his accent sounds like a European who lived a long time in Canada maybe?

I'd comment on the air, but I can't really abide them. It sure seems like a hard thing to do a tutorial on compared to, say, a jig... More power to you, TsC.
Greg Connor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

That was excellent. Interesting how he chose to play in his car in the winter.

I wonder who is at home? Maybe someone a little weary from the whistling. I get that a little when I pull out the banjo.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Talbert also had another video of him playing in a car in winter before on Youtube, on an MK. Think it was the same tune too.

I have done so myself on occasion, (playing in my car) as I live in an apartment, and there is always someone home in neighboring apartments, it seems. Or the wife, and I try not to bother her with my playing too often either. But I absolutely hate the acoustics of playing in a car-it makes your whistles sound dead-and terrible! Though it's OK for just working on something, when you are not playing for tone.
~~~~
Barry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Greg Connor wrote:That was excellent.
The vagaries of taste aside, no matter how pleasing you find the playing you should know it is NOT The May Morning Dew in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't qualify as that just because the player wants to call it so, any more than calling a tomato a bird makes it a bird. In the Irish tradition - and this is a well-known Irish tune even without Spillane's help - an air is the melody to a song, so be it simple or be it ornate in presentation, a reasonable and recognisable conformity and emulation of the song's scansion is not optional if you would be taken seriously by those who know it; anything else is just noodling, as is unfortunately the arguable case here. A coincidence of having roughly the same general kinds of notes is not enough if the song referenced doesn't fit the playing. Your only hope of getting an air right with any certainty is to learn from listening to the song itself, as sung.

Now here is The May Morning Dew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4GsWYmbcP4

Contrast and compare.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

greenspiderweb wrote:Will you please share this with the board? Please don't tell them that I told you to do this.
So... underhand pseudo-recognition/advertising!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I saw a similar video of this, by TSC, a couple of years back. In his car , in the winter. I have to admit, it still leaves me with a very strange feeling. I just don't get it!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Nanohedron wrote:
Greg Connor wrote:That was excellent.
The vagaries of taste aside, no matter how pleasing you find the playing you should know it is NOT The May Morning Dew in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't qualify as that just because the player wants to call it so, any more than calling a tomato a bird makes it a bird. In the Irish tradition - and this is a well-known Irish tune even without Spillane's help - an air is the melody to a song, so be it simple or be it ornate in presentation, a reasonable and recognisable conformity and emulation of the song's scansion is not optional if you would be taken seriously by those who know it; anything else is just noodling, as is unfortunately the arguable case here. A coincidence of having roughly the same general kinds of notes is not enough if the song referenced doesn't fit the playing. Your only hope of getting an air right with any certainty is to learn from listening to the song itself, as sung.

Now here is The May Morning Dew:

Contrast and compare.
Well, Nano, not everyone conforms around here, and some may even prefer to noodle, and not be so seriously strict when it comes to making music. As you say, you can call something anything you want. But if it has elements of the tune in it, then maybe it's your interpretation of the tune, even if it strays from tradition. Or maybe that isn't allowed either?

Or maybe we should just divide the forum to conformists and non-conformists? Oh wait, I think you already are doing that. Nevermind! But thanks for pointing out that it isn't really what it is called, merely someone's idea of it, or more accurately probably-Davey Spillane's twist on it.
~~~~
Barry
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

greenspiderweb wrote:Well, Nano, not everyone conforms around here, and some may even prefer to noodle, and not be so seriously strict when it comes to making music. As you say, you can call something anything you want. But if it has elements of the tune in it, then maybe it's your interpretation of the tune, even if it strays from tradition. Or maybe that isn't allowed either?

Or maybe we should just divide the forum to conformists and non-conformists? Oh wait, I think you already are doing that. Nevermind! But thanks for pointing out that it isn't really what it is called, merely someone's idea of it, or more accurately probably-Davey Spillane's twist on it.
A few points on this:

* It's not a question of conforming or not conforming. This just isn't the tune. It hasn't got the notes of the tune, and it hasn't got the phrasing of the tune (or any tune that I know). As a result, it doesn't hang together.
* As such, I don't count it as someone's idea of The May Morning Dew.
* It's definitely NOT Davey Spillane's twist on the tune. Davey Spillane's version is a version of the tune, with notes that either stick closely to, or suggest in an alternative, but artistic way, the tune itself, and with phrasing that strongly brings to mind the song air itself. Talbert's playing doesn't. It's not close to Davey Spillane's version - I'm not talking about quality, but the nature of it. This is a string of notes - Davey's is a version of the tune. So no, I can't accept that calling this "Davey Spillane's twist on it [the song air The May Morning Dew]" is "more accurate".

Now, you might like Talbert's offering here - that's up to you. Personal taste and all. But let's see it for what it is ... and what it isn't.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I stand corrected, thank you Ben. So it's not Davey's take on it, who was following the traditional tune-song-air then, nor is it the true ITM version that so many know. I actually didn't listen to Talbert's version all the way through here, but I still probably wouldn't have known anyway that the tune he was playing was so different. But yes, it is still a matter of conforming to a particular set of values. It might be helpful for some to realize it's not the same as the original, such as those who are traditionalists.

And yes, you're right in the fact that some may like it even still-taste and all. I'm certainly not defending Talbert or his music-just the fact that some others will not mind either way, and should have the freedom to say so without seemingly being right or wrong. That was my point.

Good to know there is a traditional basis for it though, and I will listen to Nano's suggestion on Youtube for it just to hear the difference.

I really liked the playing of this on his CD from where I first heard it-just how it was played and expressed-the feeling he put into playing what he did. But that was purely a non-technical reaction on my part to his music-and how I relate to music, no matter who is playing what. I'm just wired a bit different when it comes to listening to and playing music it seems. That's OK with me.
~~~~
Barry
cboody

Post by cboody »

Well, somebody has to be the loyal opposition :) I don't particularly like TSC's version of May Morning Dew, nor for that matter do I particularly like Davey Spillane's version (readily available on Youtube). None the less I can certainly see relationships between them and relationships to the sung version posted above. I've heard the "you have to know the words and how a singer phrases the song to do a slow air properly" argument many times, and doubtless it is true if one is trying to present a traditional version of a slow air. But, to go another way may still make music. I don't think one should be purjoritive (sp) and make pronouncements about "it isn't even the tune" or "it is only a collection of notes." That simply isn't so any more than Wanda Landowska's odd interpretations of Bach (or Glen Gould's sometimes equally idiosyncratic ones) are not Bach. Or for that matter Casals versions of the cello suites or the Segovia transcriptions that lurch around through romantic versions of various Bach pieces are not Bach. I don't care much for some of those I've mentioned, but they are still interpretations. Seems to me benhall.1 has the right of it.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

fearfaoin wrote:He certainly is being like the palm tree there.

I can't place his accent in the tutorial. For some reason, I had him pegged as Scandinavian, but his accent sounds like a European who lived a long time in Canada maybe?

Huh? Sounds like a rather common U.S. accent to me. A good bit different than is spoken here, but doesn't sound like any Scandinavian people I have heard speak.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Nanohedron wrote:Now here is The May Morning Dew:

Contrast and compare.
Just for the record, Seane Keane is singing this one, and does a lovely job with it. I remember the impression he made on my a long time ago when I first heard this clip of him-it's great. I had to ask on Chiff about him to find out who it was-saw it on TV and loved it. Yes, big difference, for sure, but room for both in my world.

Thanks for the reminder, Nano.
~~~~
Barry
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

As a side note and not to pirate this thread, I have in my whistle fleet a non-tunable narrow bore low G Overton Goldie whistle in a black anodized finish that it a one of a kind in the world as was confirmed to me by Bigitte Goldie. This low G that sounds awesome was once owned by Talbert St. Claire.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Not that this has anything to do with these videos, but Turlach Boylan and Zac Leger were staying at my house some years ago and we were watching a few minutes of some kind of New Agey/World Music horror on TV. We were pretty much speechless, until Turlach let out a little explosion of laughter and said, "Sorry, but I keep thinking about a humpback whale suddenly bursting up on the stage in a spray of water and then crushing these musicians."