2014 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Windcrier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 2014 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by Windcrier »

I started with my first whistles back around 1999, and quickly focused on low whistle in particular, but shortly thereafter developed some health problems that impacted my breathing (not to mention dampening any impulses I had to be creative!) for a number of years. Just in the last year or so I have started trying to get back into it (both whistles and music in general), so I am definitely a learner as far as whistles go. But I've been a musician for almost my entire life (in a professional capacity for around a decade when I was younger), with my main instrument being guitar.

What I am learning on whistle at the moment is a song of my own, as I've been working on getting a set of original songs ready for release this spring or summer, and I love adding the sound of a low whistle to my songs whenever it makes any kind of sense to do so. At this point all I'm really capable of playing are airs, but that's the most suitable style for most of the music I write anyway, so it hopefully works out. But I definitely want to master more styles of whistle playing over time, if I can.

I have a pair of high Generation whistles that I started off with, a D and a Bb (I still love the latter in particular), but I have spent 95%+ of my whistling time with my Overton Low D (which I don't know anything about the history of except that I bought it new from a shop around the year 2000, so I don't know if it is a "good" Overton or not). I also have a Ralph Cook low whistle with a set of shafts for D, Eb, E and F tunings, but I don't play that one much because its tone is not as earthy, masculine, and plain "whistle-like" as I prefer. But I have trouble playing the Overton in tune in the low range and have long wished for a tunable whistle with that sort of "whistle-like" complex tone, so to that end I have recently ordered a Mk Pro low D, which I am simultaneously excited and paranoid about (Misha said probably a few days before shipment but its been a couple of weeks now, so I'm spending much of my days trying to convince myself to be patient, hehe).

I've read this website and forum many times over many years, but only just created an account today. It's about time, huh?
CJNovack

Post by CJNovack »

Hello all.

My name is Chris and I live in Maryland. My son got me interested in the penny whistle about 7-8 years ago and I enjoy playing it. I usually play at a local bar and a pub every St Patty's day with a few other musicians. How hard it it to play the Unicorn Song? Not very!
The tin whistle I like to play was made by Jerry Freeman some years ago. It is starting to wear out and I am purchasing 2 new ones from him.. I expect them to arrive any day.
I have a number of whistles (and other musical paraphanalia) that I "inherited" from my son, mostly low D, but due to Parkinson's setting in I never play them anymore. I have them posted for sale in another thread if you are interested.

Since I dont play the Low D I have been teaching myself the flute. No holes to cover and just as fun!
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Whistlers!

I'm another Chris but I live in Indy. I have been at the music about 6-7 years now but the madness keeps getting worse and worse, so I guess I am incureable. I suffer from the usual WAS that includes high and low whistles and also play bodhran (was a drummer all my life) uilleann pipes (1/2 set) and flute, as much as time allows. I play by ear and am focusing these days on the tunes we play at session and not so much on recordings as in the past. Session night in Indy is Tuesday from 8-10:30 at the Golden Ace. Stop by for a pint and a tune.

C&F has been a huge help to me and I am very grateful to the Mods and community at large for sharing information so freely and sources of inspiration as well.

Keep yer whistle warm
I'm on it...
philaquino

Post by philaquino »

Howdy! I'm a rank beginner--I got my first whistle, a Clarke Sweetone in D, about three weeks ago, and I've been learning to play it with the help of Bill Ochs' book. I played the recorder for a number of years some years back, and I'm finding the whistle to be similar but rather easier. And as far as what song I'm working on...I'm still very much in "Hey, I can sort of play these tunes I'm familiar with" stage of things.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Welcome Philaquino!
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and they've helped me out a lot in my almost 3 years of playing the tin whistle and listening to ITM.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I haven't been here much lately. I'm doing more (not bodhran) drumming and less whistling. I hope all of you are well. Hi to all my old friends and to the friends I haven't met yet.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Nathaniel Dowell here. I've been whistling for a little over 3 years now. I've just finished learning the third tune in a set (Garrett Barry's Jig/Michael Hynes'/Boys of the Town) and I'm working on polishing them up. I'm starting to be able to string tunes together successfully. I'm working on rolls in the upper whistle region, and being able to do double taps after a cut. I'm also trying to be more flexible in my tune playing and work on variations. On top of all that, I'm still too slow to play with others, although I practice almost every day. At least I'm improving, slowly.

I'm going to Ireland with family this summer. I'm excited.
Nathaniel James Dowell
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

Mladen wrote:Hello there!

Nice to meet you all! Great place you have here :)
I have been whistling for a couple of weeks now (afer finally deciding that at 29 I am not THAT old and that I should give it a go). I am looking to take things slowly with my learning. I am currently working on breath control and getting clear tones when changing octaves. As for the songs, I am learning the classics recommended for beginners (Scarborough Fair, Cockles and Mussels, that sort of thing).

Cheers! :thumbsup:
Mladen, never fear, you are a spring chicken at 29! There is nothing you can't learn.
I'm a rusty senior and just bought a D whistle on Friday. Since then, I've tormented my poor hounds with incessant toots and squeaks. Occasionally, something that sounds vaguely like a familiar air will miraculously materialize...and then the squeaks return... Must be leprechauns inside the whistle trying to get out. :-)
Right after buying the Clarke's D whistle. I found an old C whistle in with the grand kids' toy box. I prefer the lower pitch and dream of one day obtaining a low D whistle.
I really appreciate the suggestions and links offered on this forum.
Thank you, all!
And Mladen, keep practising. One day perhaps we'll play a duet. :-)
Peter_H

Post by Peter_H »

So Please, don't be shy you can just say hello, or say how long you've been whistling, share the current tune or ornament/exercise challenge you are working on.
Lifetime musician (guitar, bass, keyboard, singer), but dabbling with tin whistles since about 2008. I have a Generation D that got me started, but almost made me quit. Still don't like the sound of it. I quite enjoy my Clark D, but the wood block and I don't get along, like I'm allergic to it. My favourite is a Waltons C. I should buy some more of different keys.

I can pick my way through sheet music, but I prefer to play by ear. Any song I can force into my head I can usually reproduce a reasonable facsimile of on one of my instruments. It will be a simple version, but you should be able to recognize it. Mostly I'm working on learning traditional Newfoundland music.

Peter
Whistles: Clarke D, Waltons C
Guitar: Kramer Farrington 6-string
Keyboards: Yamaha SK-10, Casio CTK-530
Violin: unknown - belonged to my father
Johannah R. Ashling
Location: Temse, East-Flanders, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth

Post by Johannah R. Ashling »

Hallo everybody

I started with the tin whistle almost 3 weeks ago (officially) and am currently learning from Bill Ochs tutorial. I went through all the lessons and am currently trying to get 'The Quacker's Wife' right.

I didn't even know the tin whistle existed before my trip to Ireland. While waiting to board the plane back home I bought a black brass feadog from the tax free shop and managed to play 'Frére Jacque' on it (not the most impressive song I know). Unfortunately it quickly disappeared in a drawer for the next year and a half. But it kept teasing me, winking at me until the urge to learn the tin whistle became too big.

So here I am, joining your community. Thank you very much for having me.
Sleep and ricecakes