2014 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Angel Shadowsong
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 2014 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi,

I'm Angel.

My first instrument is Piano, but was not successful because of financial problem leading to selling the piano.
My second are flutes, the bamboo type. But was not successful since it frequently crack.
My third was voice... It temporarily was on break due to adolescence where my range started to change from Soprano to Tenor. I worked out my voice again when I was 16, stretched it out and became a Countertenor.

Voice is my main instrument but I was bored so I chose to relearn the winds.
Appreciated polymer whistles and flute because it does not crack and it is washing machine safe.
Tooting again for about 2 years and some months. Then God told me to study violin too.

My first language is Filipino
My second is Music
My third is English

I'm considering to study Irish to understand the culture and the Trad music. I find the Irish accent so sexy that it can melt an underwear, but the spelling and pronounciation drove me nuts.
Looking for a good Irish Tutor Book with CD and a free mentor.

My repertoir is contemporary church music, in which I play and sing on Church.
I love Classicals and Rock.

Learning a trad tune once a month due to a busy schedule.

My current finished project so far was tweaking the Tipple E flute.
Under my breath, G# and A of the second octave was sharp by 15-25 cents.
Modified the wedge and created a balance in tone. I have flattened those notes without using tape and minimized the fluctuation by around +10/-10 cents on a blind flutinini test.
It was a successful tweak.

Another finished project is tweaking my Low D and Low E 2 pc cylindrical Dixon whistle.
2nd octave was too flat on both whistle and flute configuration.
I was successful in creating the second octave sharper and in tune.

My dream is to find a whistle/flute that has a match for my breath.
A dear friend named Dennis, suggested a Burke.
But my dear Pocket suggested NO.

Regards,
Angel
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
stanton135
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Angel Shadowsong wrote:My dream is to find a whistle/flute that has a match for my breath.
A dear friend named Dennis, suggested a Burke.
But my dear Pocket suggested NO.
:lol: Sir, I like the way you think.

Angel Shadowsong wrote:Another finished project is tweaking my Low D and Low E 2 pc cylindrical Dixon whistle.
2nd octave was too flat on both whistle and flute configuration.
I was successful in creating the second octave sharper and in tune.
Congratulations! I'm curious how you accomplished this. Did you fashion a Tipple-Fajardo wedge to insert in the headjoint? Did you put perturbations somewhere else? Did you come to the solution by trial and error, by study of acoustics, or by divine inspiration? What material(s) did you use?
Angel Shadowsong

Hi Stanton,

I shall be posting it in a different thread that will request trials for experimentation for everyone to experiment as well. My experience and breath may vary to everyone, so I can not guarantee.

I am just figuring out how to put picture on the thread to post my illustrations. I seldomly do that.

:)
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

Hello there!

Nice to meet you all! Great place you have here :)
I have been whistling for a couple of weeks now (afer finally deciding that at 29 I am not THAT old and that I should give it a go). I am looking to take things slowly with my learning. I am currently working on breath control and getting clear tones when changing octaves. As for the songs, I am learning the classics recommended for beginners (Scarborough Fair, Cockles and Mussels, that sort of thing).

Cheers! :thumbsup:
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Pauli

Post by Pauli »

Greetings all. I'm a 54 year old Aussie and long time lover of traditional Irish and Scottish music. Just bought myself a Walton's Mellow D tin whistle last week and I'm currently trying to get the hang of breath control, changing octaves, etc. My tune of the moment is "On Raglan Road".

This appears to be an amazing resource so I look forward to hitting you all with some questions soon!

Cheers,

Pauli.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Angel Shadowsong wrote:Hi,

I'm Angel.

My first language is Filipino
Hi Angel! Welcome to Chiff and to the amazing world of the Irish whistle!

I work with a number of Filipinos here in California and they've been teaching me some Tagalog. This is one of the most interesting things, to an American like me

and this has been useful in fact, such as when I was about to get on the elevator at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and I saw that the employee on the elevator was Pinoy. He responded and then we had a laugh about it, that an American would use that phrase.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Angel Shadowsong

Hi Richard,

I'll PM the translation for your safety.

Regards,

Angel
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

Hey there,
More of a lurker than a poster, maybe one of my future goals for C&F is to contribute more to the forums.

Been playing whistle on and off for 15 years but I've been playing seriously for the last 5. My main style is ITM though on occasion love playing some Ghibli soundtracks on my whistle (Totoro theme and Princess Mononoke). My latest tune that I've learnt is Last Train to Loughrea/Across the Black River, but I plan on learning Devanny's Goat soon as well as Tree Gap on my Low A.

My goals this year is to influence my local session to playing more Michael Mcgoldrick tunes as well as keep my Whoad in check (though I'm excited for the Killarney Whistle I'll be getting any day now! My main whistles are my MK Low D and Sindt High D.

Cheers,

Melany
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I got my first whistle in maybe 1992, and Cathal McConnell's Homespun Tapes set not long after. I joined this forum back when I still had to use a dial up connection. Seems like forever ago. But then I forgot about it and years later I came back -- Nov 24, 2009 2:11 pm, according to the control panel ;-)

While I'm familiar with Irish idiom, I mainly play Scottish style music on my whistles. My main instrument is Highland Bagpipes.
sherriev

Post by sherriev »

I'm Sherrie! I live in Oregon and am learning to whistle. And, I have a beautiful new carbony D flute, so I've been learning to play that as well.

My biggest challenge is learning to play music, not read notes on a page. Sight reading notes is stupidly easy for me, but I really want to be able to play from the heart. So.. That's my goal.
tenorTim

Post by tenorTim »

Tim here, I play Tenor Banjo and Whistle, with some guitar on the side. Been playing almost three years now, my collection is up to 16 whistles now and a fife (but I hate the fife ;) ).

The Strayaway Child, Kid on the Mountain, and The Ballintore Fancy are my favorite tunes right now. I mostly play on a Feadog D, Oak D, Walton's C, and a Freeman Gen A.
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Hi folks. I've lurked here a lot. For years. I don't know how long but I don't think MTGuru was a mod then,if that means anything.

Anyway,lately I'd been feeling like a peeping Tom after so long. So while I don't have much to offer discussion wise I figured I should sign up and boost the membership by one.Ok,ok.The final factor was a particular whistle for sale here.

I started playing in the mid 1970s. Wanted to play the pipes-blame Furey- but due to geographical reasons and other factors realized that wasn't going to be happening nor was any other serious study of music.So as compensation I just kept sticking a whistle in my pocket and pretty much always have had one with me wherever I go.

Have problems with my hands now so for around the last several to ten years I don't play as much and consequently not as well as I used to. Still enjoyable on "good hand" days except for those moments when fingers seem to independently try do things they can't anymore.Get some real train wrecks out of that!

A thank you all you folks who over the years have provided me with reviews,tech and music info,and of course lots of laughs.

Especially thanks to Dale W. for starting C&F!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The Lurking Fear wrote:Hi folks. I've lurked here a lot. For years. I don't know how long but I don't think MTGuru was a mod then,if that means anything.
Gee, you're talking ancient history. Some days, at least, it feels like I've been doing this forever ...

Welcome aboard. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

pancelticpiper wrote:
BigDavy wrote: Highland Cathedral is German not Scottish
Sure enough composed by two German guys, but they play the Scottish national rugby team onto the field with it at Murrayfield, and a number of people in Scotland wanted to adopt it as the official National Anthem.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bLljkIe0Po
Volume WARNING! heh.... regaining balance... sort of
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Why I 'member back when.... OK... it's been so long that I can't even remember... But I still love this place!

Missed you oldies, and Welcome to the newbies.

Glad someone is keeping this place lit and warm.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com