Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jayhawk wrote:Plus, I seem to recall an issue with a mail truck wrecking back east during a huge storm a week or two back...
I personally went to the site of the wreck to check for whistles.

I'm happy to inform you that there were no Killarneys in the wreckage—only Sindts and Copelands. Now my grandchildren will be able to go to college....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jayhawk wrote:Sheesh...if you can't complain about the postal service anymore, what can you complain about?
Perhaps there is a case of the "Whistling Postman" going around?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Feadoggie wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Sheesh...if you can't complain about the postal service anymore, what can you complain about?
Perhaps there is a case of the "Whistling Postman" going around?

Feadoggie
That's entire possible. It's probably their way of getting back at all the dogs on their routes... :o
slowair

Post by slowair »

Steve Bliven wrote:[Curious whether you (or others) have received any response from notes to their info@...email address. I sent a note on 2 Jan with some questions based on what we've said here but haven't had a response. Maybe they are too busy filling orders...

Best wishes.

Steve
When I received my whistle, I sent an email to the info email address, suggesting that they acknowledge payment and give an estimate on delivery. They started doing so right away from what I saw on here. I also asked to be informed when they start making whistles in the key of C. They said they would keep me in mind. So they do answer.

I am enjoying the whistle; however, I find it clogs just like a Sindt. I was use to my Trad never clogging. At our last session I switched back to using the Trad. Both are damn good whistles though. The Killarney is great for throat vibrato and bending and blending notes. Really needs to be warmed up before going at it though.

Mike
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Plus, I seem to recall an issue with a mail truck wrecking back east during a huge storm a week or two back...
I personally went to the site of the wreck to check for whistles.

I'm happy to inform you that there were no Killarneys in the wreckage—only Sindts and Copelands. Now my grandchildren will be able to go to college....

Best wishes.

Steve

Probably worth just enough to constitute grand theft from a federal vehicle! Maybe if they decide to become a doctor you will be able to make it out just in time for their graduation! Maybe.
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

Sirchronique wrote:Probably worth just enough to constitute grand theft from a federal vehicle! Maybe if they decide to become a doctor you will be able to make it out just in time for their graduation! Maybe.
On a positive note at least you'll have free room, board, and health care during all that time :thumbsup:
Owner of Hermit Hill Folk Instruments - http://www.hhfi.biz
Normski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Normski »

Just received my whistle this morning having ordered less than a week ago. (I'm in England)

Interestingly there is no proud rivet head as described by earliest contributors to this thread - it is exactly as pictured on maker's current web site. Not sure if they have amended the design. No sharp edges anywhere, brass is right up to the edge of the delrin and head is greased and moves with no difficulty.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The rivet had a nice clean round head, it wasn't really a problem. And as noted, it stops the whistle from rolling. A better fit is certainly a bonus. Now all we need them to do is start making a C and an Eflat.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The rivet had a nice clean round head, it wasn't really a problem. And as noted, it stops the whistle from rolling. A better fit is certainly a bonus. Now all we need them to do is start making a C and an Eflat.

Luckily in the meantime there are several other very similar E-flat bodies that can be made to fit onto the current head quite easily. I agree, though. I would very much like one of these in the key of C. I've been playing this thing constantly, and I'm liking it more everyday.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hm,, yes. I don't like swapping bodies and heads. One tube, one head for me please.
My brain hurts

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Hm,, yes. I don't like swapping bodies and heads. One tube, one head for me please.
You've got a point there.. I have a few "combos" but usually end up using 'dedicated' keys/whistles..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

I'm playing this whistle more and more, and have had the opportunity to not only play it alone, but also with another whistle player, in a small house-session and in a bigger session (this has turned out to be a busy musical week), and it has been just great in all those settings.

This one has the proud rivet (received Wednesday, U.S.) and it looks just fine - a nice, round, clean head as Mr. Gumby mentioned. I'm happy to have the rivet, since I've had a whistle roll off the table too many times.

I, too, would love to see a C version.
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

I, too have been impressed with the sound and the looks of the Killarney. It is hard to evaluate a sound when it is played through a computer. No matter what the instrument, the sound is being squeezed through a very small hole.
I live in Canada (wind chill -30 Celsius this morning) and wonder about customs, duty, etc. Does anyone know what the added cost might be, along with the added time for delivery?

Regards to all
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

David - I've ordered things from Ireland and never paid customs before, but it could occur. I'm still waiting on my whistle. Ordered 12/30, confirmation email sent 1/2, but whistle not mailed until 1/6. I'm hoping Monday is a good day.

Eric
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

I never paid any customs on anything from Ireland. With the Killarney whistle I just paid the cost of the whistle, and the shipping was free. No additional charges or customs or anything.