Water Weasel... C/D/Eb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistle1000

Water Weasel... C/D/Eb

Post by whistle1000 »

So my friend has returned home after being away for some 6+ years...when he left, he had my WW set with him..also a Susato low F....nice to have him back but he seems to have misplaced the head part for the set....so now all I have is three tubes...they do have the plumbing marks on them...my question is are these now worthless?...I'd imagine that someone could make the head piece?....it may show up some day but I'm doubtful....this was a pretty awesome set...I would also imagine that all the " value would be in the head part...any one have any thoughts?....thanks!
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Water Weasel... C/D/Eb

Post by Feadoggie »

The value is in the complete whistle made by Glenn Schultz. I am sure a number of us could make replacement heads that would play well and fit the bodies well. But that would not be a Water Weasel. They are such good whistles. Most of the magic is in the head. Glenn had the touch.

In other cases I would suggest you just look to buy another Water Weasel second hand and utilize that head - you'd have a spare body too. But Glenn fitted his heads to each body. So the fit may not be the best. He likely made them in batches. While Glenn's measurements hovered around a certain mark they did vary a bit, enough to effect the fit of the tuning slide. I have a number of Water Weasels here that bear that out. One head does not fit all bodies.. They were truly hand made whistles.

Part of my getting serious about whistle making was prompted by needing to replace a cracked mouthpiece ferrule on the head of a Water Weasel.

So what's that "friend" have to say? Hard to replace such a "priceless" object.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks Feadoggie....good idea, I'll look for another water weasel in D and hope for the best fit...anybody have one for sale?
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

whistle1000: If you decide to go the custom head route, here is information to help you on your way: You might contact Paul Busman, on the board. Paul builds superb whistles, and was a student of Glenn Shultz, years ago. If anyone can take your whistles and create a custom head for them in the style of the original, it is Paul. May I respectfully suggest any charges go to your friend. Heh. Heh.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I should have mentioned Paul Busman in my earlier post. Thanks Byll.

One thing that may be difficult to replicate is the fipple itself, the plug. One could be made from delrin, CPVC or other material that would replicate the shape of the original. But Glenn used an unusual material for his plugs, something he had experience with from his work in the automotive industry. I personally have never heard a definitive statement of what that material might be or how it could be sourced. If anybody does know what Glenn used it would be an interesting tidbit to share.

Feadoggie
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote: I personally have never heard a definitive statement of what that material might be or how it could be sourced. If anybody does know what Glenn used it would be an interesting tidbit to share.
Feadoggie
Hmmmmmm let's see now... it was definitively redmaterial. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

:lol: That narrows it down a lot.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks for the input Byll...I'm sure Mr. Busman would do an awesome job!...I may have to go that route or just pass the 3 bodies on to someone that already has the D head...I'm pretty sure that the plug material for my head piece was some sort of wood...not red or any mystery material....just plain old wood....any of your's have a wooden plug Feadoggie?..or anyone else?...thanks!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Most, if not all, of the Water Weasels I have seen, including my own, have the red plug material. Tommy seems have observed the same. My Thin Weasels have what I assume to be the same material but in a tan-ish color. It does resemble wood. It is actually grainy looking. Maybe Glenn used that color on some Water Weasels too. But that's speculation on my part.

I've tried every polymer material I can get my hands on over the years (not looking to find the WW material, just experimenting on my own) At one point I thought the WW plugs might be made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), like Trex decking material. When the outer mouthpiece cracked on my low D Water Weasel it gave me an opportunity to get up close and personal with the "redmaterial" fipple. I bought some HDPE samples and it did not machine quite as nicely as what I see in the Water Weasels. It would be nice to hear what others have in their WW's and TW's.

Maybe it is a closely guarded industrial secret and the reason Glenn's whistles play so well, sound so nice and can not be duplicated. Maybe Paul Busman knows. He would certainly know better than I would. My correspondence with Glenn was limited to ordering whistles.

Feadoggie
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

The fipple plug in my C Water Weasel is red - in my D Water Weasel, brown. They are the same material, and the brown looks like faux wood. Neither are wood.
Cheers.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote::lol: That narrows it down a lot.

The other thing that might help narrow it down is that if the red fipple came loose.... ca glue would not adhere to it. But putting some ca on the cpvc and letting it dry creates a friction fit. Perhaps it is a grade of delrin.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I guess it wasn't wood...mine certainly looked like wood but now that you mention it, it was tan and did look a bit grainy...I always assumed it was wood...it was rather loose inside the mouthpiece too...I was offered to buy one but we don't know what a fair price would be...anybody have an idea what one should go for?...Thanks!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

whistle1000 wrote:I guess it wasn't wood...mine certainly looked like wood but now that you mention it, it was tan and did look a bit grainy...I always assumed it was wood...it was rather loose inside the mouthpiece too
Well, if it was loose that might be a vote in favor of wood. Most plastics don't shrink like wood can.

But Tommy raises an interesting thought on the suitability with adhesives. Glenn used "spacey glue" - CA, AFAIK. Some plastics don't glue easily, no matter how spacey the adhesive. HDPE and CA don't adhere well either if the HDPE is smooth. It flakes off fairly easily. Better than delrin but not a long haul bond. Trex is a mix of recycled polyethelene and wood products so I jumped to that kind of thought. Maybe I'll try it again as a test.

My Thin Weasels are similar to what Byll describes in his WW hiigh D. So there you have it.
whistle1000 wrote:I was offered to buy one but we don't know what a fair price would be...anybody have an idea what one should go for?...Thanks!
I am afraid that price is a market demand/supply type of thing at this point. There won't be any more made. A single Water Weasel high whistle was selling for $84 before Glenn left us. Here's the last price list I had.
the Thin Weasel wrote:CPVC Tunable Whistles...The Water Weasel!
CPVC Tuneable Whistle E down to C $84
CPVC Tuneable Whistle Set E flat, D & C $174
CPVC Tuneable Whistle B flat or A $90
CPVC Tunable Set B Flat and A $138
CPVC Tuneable Whistle G to E $98
Most sell for near double that now. A few WW whistles I have noticed sold for what I would call crazy money. Hopefully that has moderated by now.

Feadoggie
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Feadoggie, Glenn told me the red fipple material was an inert wax. I had the 'honor' of being the only person to have a mild reaction to the material as far as Glenn knew. Wish I still had the email from him as it might have had a bit more info that has been forgotten. Perhaps his daughter would be willing to share his secret by now?

Judy
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Before anyone contacts me on this, I've gotta regretfully refuse to do this. I've never made one of those heads and the R&D time it would take me to make one would be prohibitive. Sorry.
Someone who already has a D whistle might well be interested in buying the other two keys. Good luck finding a new one!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!