Mini-review of Humphrey Low E, Low C and high D+ whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecohawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Mini-review of Humphrey Low E, Low C and high D+ whistles.

Post by ecohawk »

I was going to separate these and do individual reviews but then I decided that reviewing three whistles by the same maker might be a bit overwhelming to me and everyone else.

The main point I'll start with is that Gary makes very consistent and solidly constructed instruments. These are all three brass bodies with all acetyl (delrin type) heads. These three have exactly the same tonal profile. They tend toward pure, though not so much as Burke, with just a hint of chiff available at the beginning. Hole sizes are average and they are very responsive and easy to articulate. There is little breath resistance (backpressure if you must), though again, not so free blowing as Burke. Gary does as good a job as I've seen of balancing the volume between the low range and the high. I'd say that except for being slightly less breath efficient the tone and playing characteristics are very similar to Reyburn. There is a nice strong bell note and a full two octaves is easily attainable without particular effort. The Low E and Low C are not tunable (my choice), while the wide bore D+ is fully tunable. I can achieve a half step adjustment from flat to sharp by moving the head back and forth. On all three whistles, I can achieve on average 20c of dynamic range on each side of the note with breath alone before changing octaves. That's pretty impressive to me and on par with Sindt, Busman and Goldie. This is my favorite characteristic of any whistle.

The differences between these three are purely the result of size with one exception. The D+ has the extra hole offset for your pinkie and allows a solid low C below the bell note. I find this a very useful feature on some of my favorite tunes and it has me rethinking how I approach others. This is a wide bore and it has plenty of volume. You will not be ignored in sessions! Not as deafening as the Chieftain Mezzo but right there with Goldie or Busman. I just received it from Gary and like what I see. There's a not very well taken picture below next to my Sindt brass head/silver body D for size comparison. Please withhold any comments as to how shiny the D+ is :really: . I just got it two days ago so it's not yet broken in.

I've played four Low C whistles. Burke aluminum, Gonzato, Goldie and now Humphrey. While the Gonzato is, as with all of Guido's, a very solid player and worth three times the price, it is not and was not intended to be on the same par as the rest. The Humphrey sits exactly halfway between the Goldie and Burke in terms of tone, volume and breath resistance. The holes are not as large as either but this is a big heavy whistle being solid brass. If you're into that Cosmic Drainpipe tone, don't mind a little weight and can comfortably stretch your Super Ez Grip just a little farther, this Low C will take you there.

The Low E is as good as any low whistle I've ever played. It wants a little more air (volume, not resistance) than a Goldie, but you can really lean into it, which I like. If John Sindt made a Low E it would play like this. It is one of my favorites whistles.

Gary is an easy guy to work with as are many of the makers we all work with. I wish he took Paypal or some other online payment form, but his instruments are as well made and playable as any I'm aware of. If you're looking for a whistle with breath resistance, these three won't be your cup of tea. Gary might offer some customization if you ask. I did not ask as I wanted to see how he intended his instruments to be.

The end.

Thanks,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Mini-review of Humphrey Low E, Low C and high D+ whistles.

Post by PhilO »

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I also have the Sindt silver/brass/delrin high D and it is easily my very favorite go to every day for almost 5 years now favorite whistle. Aside from using it for size comparison, what do you think of it?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

good review! price point/website?
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Humphrey Whistles can be found here: http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/

Gary has posted here as raindog1970 since 2001 - one of the first 30 or so members to sign on to this board.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

PhilO wrote:Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I also have the Sindt silver/brass/delrin high D and it is easily my very favorite go to every day for almost 5 years now favorite whistle. Aside from using it for size comparison, what do you think of it?

Philo
Philo, If I could only have one all-purpose high D, it is unsurpassed IMHO. I should add that there are certain situations where I choose others though, because I can, but that's another conversation for another day.

But back to Gary's excellent whistles. Gary reminded me that even though my low E and low C Humphrey whistles do not have a tuning slide, by my choice, some tuning can be accomplished by moving the head on those as well.

Thanks,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Gary does magic work. They're like a Herald Angel touched a Generation and made it perfect. Easy players and wonderful voice.

Cheers,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.