The Low Whistle Book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Inga
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Low Whistle Book

Post by Inga »

Good evening everyone!

Does anyone know or own "The Low Whistle Book"? Is it good?

I mostly play whistles in higher ranges, but I also own a low D whistle and I would like to improve my playing. I still have problems with my hands while paying, they start to hurt after a short time. I've read about the piper's grip, but somehow I still haven't the knack of it. Could the mentioned book be helpful? Or does anybody know any alternatives?

Best wishes

Inga
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Low Whistle Book

Post by scheky »

If it's just the grip you are looking for, take a gander here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nca0OT5e6yI

Blayne does a great job of explaining it.
Inga

Post by Inga »

You're right, he explains it really good! I already know this clip, but I'm afraid there's something really wrong with my hands. It' s not only that they are small like children's hands. I just cant' cover the holes with my second pads, there' s not enough.....flesh. I'm sorry that I can't find better words, I even find it difficult to explain in German :oops: .
And then there is the problem with the wrists. In Blayne Chastain's clip his wrists look so relaxed and straight. Mine are always strangely turned and twisted (ouch and hurting!!!)
Maybe I should just accept that I'm not made for low whistling....but NO!!! Not yet, it's too soon to give in :D

What has attracted me to this book is not only my "hand problem", but also, or mostly the included cd.

Best wishes

Inga
Inga

Post by Inga »

What I forgot to write: I'm not happy about not being able to use the piper's grip, but I AM happy to be able to cover all holes at all. It does not look pretty or professional, but it's okay for me. It still hurts, but I think by prolonging the time of playing day by day, the pain will be gone someday.

I just thought, this book could give me some good tips and that listening to the included cd could give me some new inspirations of how to play things.

Inga
maki

Post by maki »

I'd be careful about pain.
It often procedes injury.
Maybe a Skype lesson with a good teacher would sort you out?
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Inga,
just had a look through my low whistle book and there's not much in there
that you won't find on the internet
Blayne's youtube clip is pretty good at explaining it.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Inga

Post by Inga »

I think, I know what you mean, maki. I have some experience concerning tendinitis (I hope, that is the correct terminus) and you have to be very careful about that. I also had this problem when I started to play the tin whistle (high D) regularly. I'm glad to say, that it's no problem anymore concerning the high whistles. But I don't want it to become a problem again, by doing anything wrong in my low whistle playing.

The skype lessons are a good tip, I surely will consider that.

@narrowdog: Oh, you have it?! Thanks, so I won't spend my money in purchasing it!

Thanks and best wishes,

Inga
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

just as a thought,
you might want to think about picking up a low G or F for practice.
when I first started with low Ds I struggled with getting the holes covered
it was just so different to a high d and I have quite big hands
so I got an F and it really helped.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I have The Low Whistle Book but it doesn't tell you much that isn't in other whistle books. There are some nice tunes in there for low whistle but, sadly, the authors never brought out the proposed second CD that covered most of the tunes in the book. The first CD that comes with the book only covers the exercises as I recall.
Inga

Post by Inga »

Ha! I have a Dixon Alto G for exactly the same reason. It's nice to play and I like the sound. Covering the holes is no problem with it, the range between the holes resembles my alto recorder. But an F whistle would be cool too ( no, I don't suffer from - what's it called?- WOAD?!). Maybe it helps me with the next step to the low D.

@Mikethebook: How sad! It's the CD that I found most interesting about it. But good to know, so I can spend my money otherwise. I could spare it, maybe for an F whistle....anyhow, thanks a lot!

Inga
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

On the subject of the piper's grip, I have medium sized hands; they're certainly not large. My first encounter with a low D whistle (any whistle in fact) was a Kerry Optima followed swiftly by a Goldie. Perhaps I was lucky but I encountered no problems at all with the grip but I didn't try to force it. I think it's important to recognise that we have different shaped hands with different relative lengths of fingers. Ideally, the grip should be as taught, with the second pads covering holes 1,2,4 & 5 but due to the length of my fingers I find myself covering holes 1 & 4 with the second joint and that works fine. Try placing the first pad of your ring fingers on holes 3 & 6 and then rotate the hand until the fingers lie comfortably over the remaining holes. Playing requires relaxed fingers and one cannot force them into an awkward position. Tension may cause injury and it won't help playing. Play as you can not as you can't. I hope that's of some help but I can also see the point of starting on something like a low G or low F. I'll be working backwards :D !!

Where in Austria are you? Lovely country. I used to live in Mittersill in the Pinzgau valley . . . in a castle of all places would you believe. I still miss it.
Inga

Post by Inga »

My first opportunity to try a low D was on my brother's Howard. And for me it was impossible to play it. It was not only the range between the holes, but also the size. I had the feeling, that my fingers would disappear in the holes.
My low whistle is an Onyx - yes I know, it's pure waste in my unable hands, but I hope, I can improve. It's much easier to grip for me, but still it's not completely without problems. I compared my hands with those of my husband. He surely has no big hands, they are medium size at best, I would say. But mine beside his :lol: so small, but already fully grown...
So, I will try the way you told me. It would be great, if playing the low whistle could get more comfortable and less painful for me. Thanks a lot for your help!

Pinzgau, that's Salzburg, isn't it? Beautiful! I'm from Upper Austria, near Linz, on the banks of the Danube. It's none of the "touristic zones" of Austria, but it has its own special beauty and I like it.

Inga
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

I'm curious to know the distance between the 5th and 6th holes, centre to centre, on the Onyx because I didn't think it was that great. There's a whistle maker not that far from you, Peter Aschenbrenner (Altlengbach - 120km east) who makes wonderful Goldie-like whistles as well as wooden whistles. See http://www.pa-music.com/en/instrument-m ... les/detail. It would do any harm to talk to him or visit him. Going to a whistle-makers workshop I think is a fantastic opportunity to perhaps experiment. One solution might be to try a Low F or Low G for now until you get used to that. Another would be to buy a Low D that's specifically geared to people with small hands. The Whistlesmith in the US makes inexpensive whistles for the likes of you and sells some of them on eBay.http://www.whistlesmith.com/. Just a couple of suggestions.

And, yes, Mittersill is in Salzburg. And I lived at Schloss Mittersill (http://www.schloss-mittersill.at/) now a hotel.

Good luck!

Mike
Inga

Post by Inga »

The distance is exactly 3,5 cm, so that's not really much, I think.
I have already played for half an hour today and tried to do it the way you described it. And it was definitely better! No hurting wrists, only a slightly hurting right elbow, but I don't think that this has to do with the whistle playing itself. I have been suffering from a tennis elbow for some time now and though it's on the road to recovery now, it still hurts sometimes, no matter which movement I make.
But no hurting hands and wrists! That is great!

The whistles of Mr. Aschenbrenner look great! I haven't had the time yet to listen to the sound examples, but I will do so later! It would be interesting to make a visit at his workshop.
*Sigh*, so many nice instruments and so less money.

Best wishes and a nice sunday to you,

Inga
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hope you sort things out so you can enjoy your playing.
Best wishes
Mike