Low Whistle Masters-your favorites?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Low Whistle Masters-your favorites?!

Post by greenspiderweb »

I think it's about time we have recognized some of the low whistle masters, just for the sake of their playing abilities and not their celebrity alone. I believe we've touched on this before, but maybe it's time to expand the list and make others aware of some great low whistlers.

Please post your favorites, and any clips or albums that you think are deserving of special merit. Let's not just limit it to Irish Trad, but maybe Trad based or thereabouts, so it encompasses a broader spectrum of the music.

It might be nice to know why you feel this way too.

I'll offer one up for consideration, a much deliberated Chiff member and low whistle player, on this forum, but an artist of the low whistle that can certainly be recokened with, from his low whistle artistry on his CD "Tears of The Forest" by Talbert St. Claire. I'm not a particular favorite of his viewpoints on the fourm, but I have a lot of respect for his playing ability and expert delivery on the low whistles.

So, who would you nominate for great low whistle playing, and why?
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Feadoggie

Re: Low Whistle Masters-your favorites?!

Post by Feadoggie »

Barry, I don't see a distinction between "whistle player" and "low whistle player". Low whistles are just lower pitched. I don't know many players that would declare themselves as only a low whistle player.

But I'll play anyway - Cormac Breatnach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PYnb-5fM#!
Just his latest, AFAIK. He's provided a lot of great whistle stuff over the years, much of it in the lower pitches.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Paddy Keenan.
He ain't bad on the pipes either.
rh

Post by rh »

Fraser Fifield
Michael McGoldrick
there is no end to the walking
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Can't argue with those mentioned so far. I'd have to say that I listen to Brian "flutio" McCoy of the Kells as much as possible.

Good topic.

Thanks,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Good ones mentioned so far.

I'd add Brian Finnegan to the list.

Although, I have never seen him play a whistle lower than a low Eb. I notice he doesn't use piper's grip, either. Actually, I've never seen him play anything lower than an F, except in one video where he's playing a low Eb.
Barry, I don't see a distinction between "whistle player" and "low whistle player". Low whistles are just lower pitched. I don't know many players that would declare themselves as only a low whistle player.
The distinction is that many whistlers don't play low whistle. I don't think the question is asking for people who only play low whistle. Several whistlers don't play low whistle much, and many people opt for flute when that is the octave they are seeking. I got the impression that the question is asking about people who use a lot of low whistle and play it well, rather than asking people who play only the low ones, and not any higher ones.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Feadoggie wrote:Barry, I don't see a distinction between "whistle player" and "low whistle player". Low whistles are just lower pitched. I don't know many players that would declare themselves as only a low whistle player.

But I'll play anyway - Cormac Breatnach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PYnb-5fM#!
Just his latest, AFAIK. He's provided a lot of great whistle stuff over the years, much of it in the lower pitches.

Feadoggie
No, of course, it's just my ears talking-I rarely listen to any music on purpose with high whistles. I'll play them once in a blue moon, for convenience, but I'd rather be playing a low whistle to please my ears. That's why I consider myself a low whistle player.

But, I'm just a hobby player-no gigs, no sessions, always solo (unless I am playing along with a recording), and if I have a choice, low whistle or flute-thus the focus of my post. :) Thanks for playing along though!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Timothytiptoes

Post by Timothytiptoes »

Cormac Breatnach gets my vote especially with consideration of his ability with a “broader spectrum” of music other than ITM. An example of this would be a very cool jazz improv performance of his as shown on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKNkW_-j1k

Beyond that I agree that some great musicians have been named in this thread. Barry, FWIW my interest in whistles also lay exclusively with low whistles.....they please my ears.

Just my novice thought on an interesting topic from a long time lurker and a first time poster! I guess I should do an introduction soon seeing how I have been registered since 2009. tim
O'Mahony
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

John McSherry

Brendan Ring. The very under-rated player whose one CD, Troublesome Things is one of my favourites with some awesome low whistle playing. Try playing Maverick Angels or Kushka at the speed he does, and musically too.

Eoin Duignan

But Davy Spillane still stands head and shoulders above the rest for me because of the emotion he manages to wring out of his modified Overton like nobody else does or can.

P.S. Some good ones already mentioned. Tal can certainly play and he's a great and generous guy once you get to know him a little.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

In no particular order, Ross Ainslie, Brian Finnegan, Michael McGoldrick, John McSherry, Davey Spillane, Terry Coyne.

Not sure of his last name, but I also really admire PJ / Tinwhistler from Youtube, very talented player on whistle.

Slainte,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Terry Coyne? That's a new name to me. Can you tell me more?
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Mikethebook wrote:Terry Coyne? That's a new name to me. Can you tell me more?
Mike,
Terry is a Liverpool based flute and whistle player. A prominent figure / player of ITM in England with a long family history of musicianship specific to Irish Traditional Music. He has toured with Niamh Parsons as a whistle player.

You might also find him listed as Terry Clarke-Coyne.

Slainte,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Fred Morrison.

m.d.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Sirchronique wrote:Good ones mentioned so far.

I'd add Brian Finnegan to the list.

Although, I have never seen him play a whistle lower than a low Eb. I notice he doesn't use piper's grip, either. Actually, I've never seen him play anything lower than an F, except in one video where he's playing a low Eb.
The distinction is that many whistlers don't play low whistle. I don't think the question is asking for people who only play low whistle. Several whistlers don't play low whistle much, and many people opt for flute when that is the octave they are seeking. I got the impression that the question is asking about people who use a lot of low whistle and play it well, rather than asking people who play only the low ones, and not any higher ones.
Yes, exactly-many who play high whistles do not play the low whistles (below A or G most likely). Some have tried them, and found they didn't like them or couldn't play them to their liking. I'm kind of the opposite with the high whistles-I'd just rather not if I have a choice. I consider myself only a Low Whistler, or Fluter.

Thanks for the replies so far-I've already seen some new names or were reminded to seek out some I've heard of again, and had forgotten before.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

rh wrote:Fraser Fifield
Michael McGoldrick
Hey rh, a blast from the past! Nice to see you hanging around these parts still!
Timothytiptoes wrote:Cormac Breatnach gets my vote especially with consideration of his ability with a “broader spectrum” of music other than ITM. An example of this would be a very cool jazz improv performance of his as shown on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKNkW_-j1k

Beyond that I agree that some great musicians have been named in this thread. Barry, FWIW my interest in whistles also lay exclusively with low whistles.....they please my ears.

Just my novice thought on an interesting topic from a long time lurker and a first time poster! I guess I should do an introduction soon seeing how I have been registered since 2009. tim
And welcome to Chiff, Tim! I see you have Low ambitions as well! :wink: Thanks for the input!
~~~~
Barry