Paul Hayward - maker of Silkstone whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mick Woodruff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Paul Hayward - maker of Silkstone whistles

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Hi everyone.

I have dropped by to pass on some sad news. Searching the forums here I can't see any recent posts about Silkstone whistles or, Paul Hayward, who was the man behind Silkstone Whistles, so it is probable that this information has note reached the community here: I have only just discovered that Paul died in November last year after several years of illness. I feel very sad about this and I know some of you will share this sadness with me. I didn't know Paul personally but he was always lovely to deal with as a whistle maker. His alloy D whistle was my first ever "high end" whistle. It is a lovely whistle and remains a favourite. When it developed a problem after 7 years of use Paul fixed it for me without charge. You don't get service like that very often!

Here is a link to an obituary: http://goo.gl/fqwwV

Best wishes to all!

Mick
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Paul Hayward - maker of Silkstone whistles

Post by raindog1970 »

Sorry to hear of Paul Hayward's passing, he was quite a whistle maker in his day, and a really nice guy too.
Many here will not be familiar with his name, because he stopped making whistles several years ago due to his illness.
I have several of his whistles in my collection, and like Mick, I have a special fondness for the alloy high D.
I even have one of the PVC low D whistles that he made a limited number of, because I continually pestered him to make a batch from PVC instead of aluminum! :wink:
Rest in peace, old friend, you will be missed.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

This is sad news indeed! Paul was a truly fine gentleman to deal with. Not only did he make some great whistles for me, actually he also built for me some excellent tabor pipes, which meant a lot of trial and error to him then, as he never had made tabor pipes before. But that was Paul, as I knew him, open to new ideas, always friendly and always willing to help.

May you rest in peace, Paul, I'll play the "Silkstone Brawl" in your memory!
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Best wishes to his family and friends. Thanks mick for letting us know and for the link to the obit.
david_h

Post by david_h »

That is very sad.

My first high-end whistle was one of his. I have not felt the need to get a different one, nor seen one that looks better engineered.

His whistle web site is still there, as it was in 2008. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/silkstone/silkstone/
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Same with me. Had an D Alloy from him. Superb whistle maker and a pleasure to deal with. The output of his craft will whistle on for a long time.
Christian
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

May he rest in peace. He also made a lovely line of speckled green and red PVC whistles - I still have the green in C -"PH 58 C." A talented and lovely maker.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Very sorry to hear of Paul Hayward's passing.
I'm sitting here with PH 37 D in my hands, a luverlee, sweet sounding whistle with an impeccable maroon finish.
I once spent an exceptionally pleasant few hours at his house playing whistles and chatting about stuff. I think I played nearly every whistle he had in the house at the time.
He was a proper gent!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I have a green pvc of his, as well as an aluminum low d ... Stellar guy. Great to deal with. He'll truly be missed.