Help in restoring Devondancer's favorite whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Help in restoring Devondancer's favorite whistle

Post by Byll »

As many of you know, Devondancer and her husband died last summer in an automobile accident, in the UK. Lesley was a very special person. Her story can be found in the Poststructural Pub. Some time before Lesley's death, her husband gifted her with an O'Riordan D/C Traveler set - two tubes - one mouthpiece, purchased from Doc Jones at the Irish Whistle Store. The D quickly became her favorite instrument. We had so many discussions about that whistle...

After their death, I was honored to be sent the C whistle, by one of Lesley's relatives. The D tube was not located, and after a lot of searching, is now assumed lost.

My first thought was to contact Pat O'Riordan. I learned from his daughter that he was no longer making whistles, but that she would let him know of the situation. I received no reply from Pat, and when I tried further communication, found his email account had been closed. I phoned a few weeks later, but his number had been disconnected. My hope is that my friend remains in good health.

Doc Jones suggested I ask one of the fine whistle makers out there, to make a D tube, for the instrument. A fine idea, but I am not ready to go there, yet.
PhilO suggested I let you know of the situation, in the belief that one of you might be able to help.

I hold out hope that there is a Traveler set D tube somewhere, looking for a home. I so wish to be able to honor Lesley by playing her D/C set in performance here, across the pond. If any of you have any ideas for me in this endeavor, I would appreciate a contact. Or, if you know of a person with a Traveler D/C set D tube not in use, please let me know. (Yeah, I know... However, I must try...)

Thanks, and best to all on an incredibly cold and windy Pennsylvania evening.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: Help in restoring Devondancer's favorite whistle

Post by Cayden »

Byll,
I did not know Lesley, but know that she passed as the result of a tragic accident. I also know from past posts that you were friends. I am sorry to hear that the D tube of the O'Riordan set that once belonged to Lesley is assumed lost. I also find it very touching that you seek to honor her with a musical performance played on that whistle. I wish you luck in finding a D tube for the whistle.

It truly is unfortunate for those who fully appreciate Patrick O'Riordan's skills as a maker of fine whistles that he has retired. Pat certainly deserves his rest and our respect for the fantastic instruments he crafted for so many years. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Byll,

Thanks for the update on Pat O'Riordan. I hope he is well.

I don't happen to have a Traveler D tube. Lesley and I exchanged emails on DIY whistles making - and had a few laughs as well. If you get to the point where you want to try to have another D tube made, keep me in mind.

Stay warm, Byll.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hi Bill,
Add me to the list of possibilities. Lesley was a good friend and wonderful person who touched many hearts...mine deeply, too. I know we'll meet again.

I thought of you yesterday but got lost in my own activities and forgot to post. Happy belated!

Mack
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

I sadly had missed the news about Lesley,how very sad.
lesley was a very special person and we also had exchanged a few
home made whistles.
I had kept all her poems she wrote while she was very ill,
truly wonderful.

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Like narrowdog, I hadn't heard of Lesley's death -- haven't checked in here often in the past year. I'm honored to have one of her original music compositions. She was talented, sweet, amazing person.

FWIW, Byll, Lesley's D/C set could be missing in its entirety. Lesley also had a C Traveler single whistle that she had purchased from me in 2009.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

jKrazy: Wow. Out of the blue... This would explain a few anomalies in the situation that have made no sense in the lost whistle tube situation, right from the beginning. Thank you so much for your information. I have passed it along to my friends in the UK. I am in your debt.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Byll, I'm glad to have helped in any way. Perhaps Lesley somehow managed to give me a nudge to pass that info along to you. Hope your friends will be able to find the set for you. If you don't have a copy of her song "Walking in Peace", I would be happy to share mine.

Judy