Has anyone ever "worn out" a whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Has anyone ever "worn out" a whistle?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

And by that, I mean played it until the metal (or plastic) was too thin to keep its structural integrity. It seems that the whistle acquisition disorder would help to mitigate this, but I was wondering if this had ever happened to someone, maybe with a favorite whistle over the course of many years.
Nathaniel James Dowell
MeMyselfandI

Re: Has anyone ever "worn out" a whistle?

Post by MeMyselfandI »

I personally haven't, but I remember someone a while back talking about having an old Feadog (I think) that they played so much that the brass rusted out and became unplayable.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Yes I have "worn one out". The salt acid from my fingers, over time, corroded the metal making the tone holes larger and resulted in a poorly performing instrument.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

No, but one of the first Generation D whistles that I ever bought (in 1975) has a good-sized dent and distorted F-hole courtesy of the british army. It still plays and is still my traveling pocket whistle.

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

no, but i've been worn out by several......
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

"Courtesy of the British Army"?

Did they shoot you and the whistle, being in your breast pocket at the time, stopped the bullet from entering your heart? No wonder you still play it. If it were playable, I'd play the thing forever, out of gratitude and for potential conversation starting.
Nathaniel James Dowell
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

I have a Generation Bb which I bought some time between 1973 & 1975. It was my only Bb until about 5 years ago, and it is still playing as well as it ever did.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AngelicBeaver wrote:"Courtesy of the British Army"?

Did they shoot you and the whistle, being in your breast pocket at the time, stopped the bullet from entering your heart? No wonder you still play it. If it were playable, I'd play the thing forever, out of gratitude and for potential conversation starting.
You're closer than you think; they found it in the breast pocket of my coat while being frisked at a road block. The soldier doing the frisking claimed he thought it was the barrel of a pistol (awfully small caliber pistol...) and threw it down on the ground after he pulled it out of my coat even though it obviously wasn't a weapon.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

I've worn out every whistle I own... at least as far as my ex-wife is concerned :lol:
Playing, not paying.