Square wooden whistle- Make it yourself!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Square wooden whistle- Make it yourself!

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

This video: http://youtu.be/D4-ndIBbzHI has been floating around some of the local DIY circles and I wondered if anyone here has seen it. Given previous topics on square whistles, has anyone tried this? I'd be pretty funny if it made a decent whistle.... Conical bore no less!
syn whistles

Re: Square wooden whistle- Make it yourself!

Post by syn whistles »

There's more than one way to remove the epidermis from a feline! It should produce a playable whistle but I don't think it has the opportunities to do the fine tuning necessary for a good one. Now someone will prove me wrong!
So good it has to be a SYN!
mor.whistle

Post by mor.whistle »

Sure with simple hand tools is not quite that easy and certainly requires a lot of expertise.

I know it is just my opinion, but I think DIY stuff should implicitly mean that said stuff can be made by anyone with the average tools anybody has at home, otherwise one can most likely do anything provided he has that wealth of equipment.
That guy has nothing short of a production line set of power tools, maybe he carved his chisel's handle with a NASA-worthy lathe.

Nice flute though, maybe one day I'll give it a try even without a plutonium powered saw. :lol:
I'll be on the road for quite some time, maybe through the spring and summer, but I'll have a few whistles and a Low D with me.
See you on my return, hopefully closer to be a player.

My tune's thread, just in case.
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I'm surprised that he took so much trouble to make a whistle, yet didn't bother to attempt to make it play a tuned scale.
cboody

Post by cboody »

O'Brien wrote:I'm surprised that he took so much trouble to make a whistle, yet didn't bother to attempt to make it play a tuned scale.
That was a scale??? :boggle:
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Sheesh!!! Get some PVC! MUCH easier to make a whistle and plays great!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, maybe you makers can explain something that's bugging me to no end. Why, when you could simply make the body out of four pieces glued together, would you saw out the hollow like that from a solid leaving two sides as the result? Seems like a terribly inelegant solution to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Nano- It's because you get a nice fit and a grain match when you glue thin saw cuts back together. Also, you can make the angle of the ramp and the floor of the tapered airway line up with one saw cut.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, hell. I'd just slap it together, paint it black, and call it a Cubist Meg. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I could be wrong, but it looked like a 7 in the front 2 in back system with the holes looking to be the same size. Holes are spaced differently, but I really haven't seen something like it that stays in tune the we way think of it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Paetzold and others have made square bore woodwinds. They have a bad reputation for flatness in the upper registers. The increase of internal air pressure "pushes" into the corners of the bore and this increases the total cubic volume, resulting in poor intonation.

http://www.vonhuene.com/Default.aspx?tabid=135

P.S. Using a router to cut hemispherical channels in 2 halves and then using clear epoxy to join the halves together is a time honored practice for making long strait woodwind bores. The epoxy bond is invisible and stronger than the wood itself.

Easy conical bores can be made using "Metal Spinning" techniques. Brass/Bronze tubing placed over a wooded armature/mold and "spun into a conical shape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGszBVy3cgU
Last edited by Thomas-Hastay on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Klaunstance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Klaunstance »

No
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:
Easy conical bores can be made using "Metal Spinning" techniques. Brass/Bronze tubing placed over a wooded armature/mold and "spun into a conical shape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGszBVy3cgU
That youtube video has absolutely nothing to do with the process known properly as 'tube-tapering'. I would love to see a video of T-H actually doing it himself! It is a very different kettle of fish altogether and is neither easy or simple.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Syn Whistles: Lamp and candle stick makers have been using metal spinning techniques for almost a century now. If you don't have the patience to do your own research on this subject then that suits me. Guys like you are always taking short cuts by using the hard earned work of others for your own gain. Why should I hand over my work to you for free? I will keep it to myself for just this reason. I have had my work stolen from people like you many times in the past. I won't let it happen again. So... continue to believe this technique is "impossible" and "very difficult", that suit me fine.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Thomas-Hastay wrote: Guys like you are always taking short cuts by using the hard earned work of others for your own gain.
I prefer to call it standing on the shoulders of giants!