Whistle intonation issue

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Whistle intonation issue

Post by pancelticpiper »

How very odd that is! Naturally you'll get a strange scale with the body upside down like that!

It does remind me of the Miwok flute, which is played openended like a Bulgarian Kaval... the Miwok guy who makes and plays them told me that the flute can be played from either end, getting a different scale.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

See, don't think of it as me being dumb... I'm an unintentional whistle innovator!

Unfortunately that bloody slide's in there but good. Gonna have to try the dowel trick (sticking the end of my metal cleaning rod didn't). Might take it to the hardware store and surreptitiously visit the dowel aisle as I have no need to own one-- but I'll probably have to buy one just so I can cut it to the right length. Can't wait to finally get it turned around the right way and try it then!!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Katharine wrote:The thing is, I have it together that way because of the end the tuning slide's brass piece is at. It never occurred to me that that could be in the wrong end.
So just to clarify ... Did the whistle come assembled that way from the previous owner, or was it in 2 pieces (maybe for shipping?) when you got it?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Katharine wrote:Unfortunately that bloody slide's in there but good. Gonna have to try the dowel trick (sticking the end of my metal cleaning rod didn't). Might take it to the hardware store and surreptitiously visit the dowel aisle as I have no need to own one-- but I'll probably have to buy one just so I can cut it to the right length. Can't wait to finally get it turned around the right way and try it then!!
Following on with MTGuru's suggestions here's what I would suggest to pull the whistle apart. Place the whistle into the freezer for an hour or so. Take it out and wipe it off. You'll need some sort of rubber grippers like the rubber mitts or those rubber sheets used for opening jars or maybe rubber shelf liner or silicon hot pads. Put the rubber between your hands and the whistle to get a good grip and pull and twist a bit. If that doesn't do it, warm the whistle under hot water and try the pull and twist again. The changes in temerature will contract or expand the metals. Repeat the cycle if necessary. Since the aluminum will cool or heat up quicker than the brass slide you might be able to get things moving.

If that doesn't work, talk to Ian.

Ian likes slides that are fit quite firm so they hold their tuning position.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Place the whistle into the freezer for an hour or so.
... alternatively, WHILST WEARING SUITABLE GLOVES, pour some boiling water over the instrument then dip just the tuning slide in a container of water and ice-cubes for a few seconds, then try pulling or pushing again. From experience, aluminium will expand quite significantly compared to brass, I wouldn't be suprised if the brass slide just fell out, if you can get the temperature differential sufficient ... good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I will have to try heat/cold, yes. The part of the tuning slide that sticks out is pretty short and will be difficult to grip, though. I can try rubber gloves with pliers on one edge. My rubber kitchen gloves just bit it anyway.

I was at the hardware store today and tried a dowel-- accomplished nothing more than almost getting the dowel stuck in there (rather than budging the slide, it started to wedge INSIDE it).

It was shipped to me in two pieces, yes. I honestly don't remember where the tuning slide was situated when I first put it together, but it's in that body so tightly that my guess is that was right where I found it (and I don't recall having to look and figure out which end attached, so I probably saw tuning slide in body).

ETA: Tried running end of body under hot water (our water here gets scalding-hot right out of the tap) and then placing tuning slide on ice pack. No dice. Whistle now chilling (literally) in freezer and will try feadoggie's suggestion.

Never a dull moment in the world of whistling!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well, no heat/cold method that I tried worked, so I emailed Ian and we'll see if he has any suggestions for me. Man, that thing is in there but good!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

If Ians old whistles are built like the new/er ones (all the iMpempes i have are built like the pic below) the mouthpiece is the 'male' end, that is, the tuning slide is integral with the mouthpiece.
Sounds to me like a trip to Ian wouldn't be amiss.. :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Katharine wrote:Well, no heat/cold method that I tried worked, so I emailed Ian and we'll see if he has any suggestions for me. Man, that thing is in there but good!
Seems like you have tried all the usual things - have sent you an email. Definitely on back to front, sorry I have only picked up on this now, but fun to see the usual sleuths in fine form :)
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Impempe wrote:
Katharine wrote:Well, no heat/cold method that I tried worked, so I emailed Ian and we'll see if he has any suggestions for me. Man, that thing is in there but good!
Seems like you have tried all the usual things - have sent you an email. Definitely on back to front, sorry I have only picked up on this now, but fun to see the usual sleuths in fine form :)
Had to Google 'sleuth' to decide whether to be rude in my reply or not ;)

/Mr_B / Lars "Larry Mór" :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood