Where are you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Where are you?

Post by hoopy mike »

Infernaltootler wrote:Oh yes, been to Rock of Gibraltar once. Lovely people. Old bloke there, must have been 85 if a day, playing piano accordian like an angel.
Harping on, was he?
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

hoopy mike wrote:
Infernaltootler wrote:Oh yes, been to Rock of Gibraltar once. Lovely people. Old bloke there, must have been 85 if a day, playing piano accordian like an angel.
Harping on, was he?
Nah. It must mean he wasn't playing. :wink:
Trawler

Post by Trawler »

Hooked up with an old friend from school today, and was persuaded to go to a fiddle workshop in Southampton - they run on the third Saturday of the month. It's run by a woman named Kath (can't remember her full name, sorry) and aimed at beginners.

It was a lovely small venue, and there were only seven people in the group. Kath taught us to play Shepherd's Hey by ear (something I need to develop) but then actually gave us the sheet music afterwards.

Anyway, I whipped out my trusty little Meg during the break, and ended up playing Sheherd's Hey to the sheet music, just out of curiousity. Much to my delight, the elderly gent next to me picked up his fiddle and started playing along with me! It was fab! As a beginner, playing with another person - another person playing a different instrument - was a huge amount of fun, especially as I didn't fluff up the notes.

I definitely enjoyed myself, and while I didn't take much away technically from the fiddle session, the opportunity to play both whistle and fiddle with other people was priceless! :)

-Trawler
Give me the danish pastry and nobody gets hurt.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Greece, but no sessions here that I know of.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Trawler wrote:Hooked up with an old friend from school today, and was persuaded to go to a fiddle workshop in Southampton - they run on the third Saturday of the month. It's run by a woman named Kath (can't remember her full name, sorry) and aimed at beginners.

It was a lovely small venue, and there were only seven people in the group. Kath taught us to play Shepherd's Hey by ear (something I need to develop) but then actually gave us the sheet music afterwards.

Anyway, I whipped out my trusty little Meg during the break, and ended up playing Sheherd's Hey to the sheet music, just out of curiousity. Much to my delight, the elderly gent next to me picked up his fiddle and started playing along with me! It was fab! As a beginner, playing with another person - another person playing a different instrument - was a huge amount of fun, especially as I didn't fluff up the notes.

I definitely enjoyed myself, and while I didn't take much away technically from the fiddle session, the opportunity to play both whistle and fiddle with other people was priceless! :)

-Trawler
Shepherd's Hey was the first tune I learned on the Tabor Pipe. It's almost magical when you get somebody spontaneously joining you! (It's also magical, but in a different way, when some idiot who doesn't know the tune starts noodling while you're playing. :evil: )
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!