Where are you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Trawler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where are you?

Post by Trawler »

Hiya everyone!

I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of the whistle. I'd say I was still at a beginner level - I can get a tune out of my whistles (you can never have just one, can you?) and you can recognise it, but I'm still getting to grips with ornamentation. I also play the fiddle, at about the same level.

I'm hoping to have the opportunity to play with some other musicians soon (although maybe not; I think they're all better than me) and am both nervous and excited by the idea. I think playing with others would probably help me improve, but wondered how difficult it might be to find other likeminded groups or individuals.

So, to that end - where do you all come from? I'm in Hampshire, UK.

-Trawler
Give me the danish pastry and nobody gets hurt.
Hotblack
antispam: No

Re: Where are you?

Post by Hotblack »

Hi and welcome.

If you're looking for people to play with the best thing (IMHO) is to find your local pub sessions. If you can't find anything in any local music guides or listings try getting in touch with your local morris sides. They usually know where the best sessions are. Try Basingclog or maybe Kennet Morris although they're based in Reading.

Nervous and excited is good. I've been playing in sessions for just over two years and I still get really nervous at times, especially when I start and lead a tune or two.

I'm just up the road from you in Oxfordshire - Wantage to be precise. I have in-laws who live in Sherfield-On-Loddon too. :)
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

Hi Trawler,

I live in Alton, only a few miles down the road. I would be glad to get together to play tunes. Also we have just started a monthly tune session at The Pheasant, at Farringdon, near Alton. Next one is Wed 21st March at 2000hrs. Come along, it's great fun, friendly, and most importantly, not intimidating. Feel free to make contact by private e-mail,

Clive
HarperClassic

Post by HarperClassic »

Hotblack, do you get over to many of the sessions Bletchingdon way? :)
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Hi Steve
No I don't get out that way. I have to say that we're spoilt for choice around here.
I take it you play over Bletchingdon way?
Cheers

David

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not a million miles from High Wycombe and Maidenhead. Not handy for Hampshire, really.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Devon, which is not much help to you, but I used to live in Fleet in Hampshire...

Welcome to the board, even though we are unlikely to meet in person!
Trawler

Post by Trawler »

Wow, pleased and surprised by the quick - and reasonably local - responses!

Clive - thanks for the invite! I can't make this month's (I have a five week writing course on at the mo) but that'll be finished by next month. I may try to get over there to listen to next month's session :) I'll probably e-mail you over the weekend to arrange some sort of meeting to play tunes - would love to play with more experienced musicians, or at least listen to them play.

Hotblack, thank you for the links - I'll check those out over the weekend.

I'm going to a fiddle workshop next weekend in Southampton, with a friend from school who I haven't seen for years. This will be my first attempt at playing in public since school. In addition to that, said friend has invited me to an open mic folk night at a pub in Winchester, although I almost certainly won't be playing there. She's roped her brother and boyfriend in and will have a fiddle, guitar and tamborine, so she was quite interested to hear I'm learning the whistle! I would *love* to be part of a band, but have neither the confidence or experience yet to join one.

Still, Rome wasn't built in a day, and learning two instruments at the same time is just the same. Practice, practice, practice :)

-Trawler (aka Helen)
Give me the danish pastry and nobody gets hurt.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Hi Helen - just keep telling everyone you meet that you want to play with others, go to music workshops etc and you'll probably find just what you need. I'm in Reigate, Surrey, so not much use to you directly.

I decided 18 months ago that I really needed to make music (accordion & whistle) with other people, signed up for a few workshops, and talked to everyone I met. I found that most sessions aren't my kind of thing, but am now a member of an accordion orchestra, an old English ensemble, a Morris side and a ceilidh band. Just from wanting it, and following up every opportunity!

Good luck with your quest. :thumbsup:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I'm glad that you're in a place with some many folks and so much resources nearby.

I've only ever heard two whislte players in person. My friends and family consider me the best whistler they know. I could be famous if they could just remember what that flutey thing is that I play.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Hotblack wrote:Hi Steve
No I don't get out that way. I have to say that we're spoilt for choice around here.
Play it? He wrote it!

Edit to say, I'm from Buckingham, UK, and what session is at Bletchingdon?

I don't get down to Oxford, but only because I thought it wasn't so good for sessions. Am I wrong?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Not wrong when I was there at any rate. There's a session at the Half Moon pub, but it tends to get overrun by singers.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Infernaltootler wrote:
Hotblack wrote:Hi Steve
Play it? He wrote it!

Edit to say, I'm from Buckingham, UK, and what session is at Bletchingdon?

I don't get down to Oxford, but only because I thought it wasn't so good for sessions. Am I wrong?

There is a session (or possibly two) in Bletchingdon but SWMBO has just thrown my listings magazine out (Shire Folk) so I can't confirm that. I'm not too sure about Oxford either although there are several including a French/Breton one. Again I can't give details.

I live in Wantage where we have sessions in The Shoulder of Mutton and The Abingdon Arms. There are sessions in some of the local villages and towns - Faringdon, Steventon, East Hagbourne, Abingdon, Long Wittenham, Wallingford. You could go out virtually any night of the week to a different session around here.

All these sessions are generally mixed in nature, with English, American, Celtic and all sorts in the mix. I believe there's an Irish session in Oxford.
Cheers

David

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Shire Folk" in my hand.
Shire Folk (Sessions) wrote:Thursday Evenings
Rock of Gibraltar, Enslow Bridge, Bletchingham (weekly)
01869 331 373 (pub)
...Black's Head Inn, Bletchingdon (3rd)
Bob 01869 345420...
I don't know either of these places, but I get the impression Bletchingdon is not that far from Bletchingham.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Oh yes, been to Rock of Gibraltar once. Lovely people. Old bloke there, must have been 85 if a day, playing piano accordian like an angel.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.