Expensive Whistles vs Inexpensive?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
luketinwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Expensive Whistles vs Inexpensive?

Post by luketinwhistle »

whats your preference? Seems like everyone on this forum owns an expensive crafted whistle. Any traditionalists who prefer inexpensive ones?
Tommy

Re: Expensive Whistles vs Inexpensive?

Post by Tommy »

Peter Laban of ''They'll Be Good Yet'' http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_peterlaban.html prefers a store bought Generation. He is a member of C&F and a real traditionalist.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I don't own an expensive whistle. If one fell from the sky I wouldn't mind. I have too many other interests and obligations to spend big money on a whistle when my current whistles do me just fine. My most expensive whistle is my Susato D. For how many instruments of all types that I do own, I have very little money in them. I've been lucky and many of my instruments have been gifts. One day they will be gifts to other people.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

What constitutes an expensive whistle? Many of us own several whistles, some cost $10 some up to $400. I don't own any whistles that don't play well, have several that cost less than $30 and several that cost more than $100. I don't consider any of these particularly expensive. What is a traditionalist? Traditionalists such as Mary Bergin and Paddy Moloney have recorded using whistles that cost less than $15 and more than $100. Are these traditionalists playing expensive or inexpensive whistles? Are they still traditionalists if they play expensive whistles or are they a traditionalist only if they play inexpensive whistles?

I don't prefer any whistle based on price alone.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

ecohawk wrote:I don't prefer any whistle based on price alone.
Price determines whether I can try it. 'Quality' determines whether I keep it.

NB: I use the word 'quality' as shorthand for many things including suiting my style.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The whole 'traditionalist' spiel is a red herring.
My brain hurts

hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Yes, and the expensive vs.inexpensive spiel is a green donkey.

Of course factory mass produced whistles are sold at much lower prices than individual hand-made whistles, as a lot less man-hour work goes into them. Fortunately I think we have no whistle making sweat shops!

But any production method can have quality problems. But in a factory setup these may never be addressed, whereas an individual whistle making artist will likely spot them and address them.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Fortunately I think we have no whistle making sweat shops!
Why do you think Megs are made in Asia?

an individual whistle making artist will likely spot them and address them.

Yes, in an ideal world. There are however indications that in reality this may not hold true in all cases .
My brain hurts

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

The most expensive whistle (except for a couple like Copeland) is still cheaper than the cheapest flute! It's all relative... Oh yeah - don't even talk about trumpets (or oboes, bassoons, etc, etc, etc)!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Image & Image
My brain hurts

Feadan

Post by Feadan »

plunk111 wrote:The most expensive whistle (except for a couple like Copeland) is still cheaper than the cheapest flute! It's all relative... Oh yeah - don't even talk about trumpets (or oboes, bassoons, etc, etc, etc)!
I agree. Just take a look at the cost of a high end handcrafted recorder. A nice soprano recorder would cost more than any Low D whistle I know of (which would compare to a tenor recorder).

I much prefer my Burke or Copeland whistles to any mass produced cheap models. The timbre/intonation is far superior. That said, I do find occasions to use my whistles like my Generation Bb, Honer Low G, & Soodlums C but they are few. I also carry around a Walton's Mello D that I converted to a 2-piece whistle to make it more portable, but the intonation just isn't very good and the sound isn't exactly stellar either.
Last edited by Feadan on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

It takes hundreds of hours with instrument in hand to get anywhere near competency. If holding a fine, handcrafted instrument enhances the experience and encourages you to play, then the expense is really very insignificant. (Do the math).

I prefer my O'Brien, Burke and Mellow-Dog, but I don't sound any worse on my stock Gens. They all have their charms.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

luketinwhistle wrote:whats your preference? Seems like everyone on this forum owns an expensive crafted whistle.
My favorite is a Mellow Dog. I got it after I heard David Cantieni playing one. I'm definitely done shopping for D whistles.

I have a low G from Carbony. I like it. It plays well in ensemble with harp, which is what I got it for. Sounds nice on it's own, to my ears. But then again, there aren't really any cheap low-g whistles, are there...
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I like quality. I've noticed particularly with guitars, the cheaper ones don't get played, and eventually get sold.

I have inexpensive whistles. They sound good,but, I almost always reach for quality.

My Overton & Burke High D get a lot more play time than my Walton. . . And the Walton is a great sounding whistle!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Think high end whistles are bad? Go on over to Mandolincafe.com and take a look at the price of even modest mandolins. Real classic, historic ones can end up bringing HUNDREDS of thousands.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!