Inexpensive whistle I like Product of Woodnote

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Pops
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Inexpensive whistle I like Product of Woodnote

Post by Whistling Pops »

I received a new whistle today I ordered on ebay. Total price including a leatherette case and shipping was $9.99. I am very impressed with this whistle. It has no brand marked on it but it looks like a Susato (a knock-off I'll bet) I was expecting this whistle to be a piece of junk because of the price and having no name marked on it. The seller says it is a Product of Woodnote. It is actually the easiest whistle I have ever played, and I have a good many whistles both inexpensive and high end. The problem I had when I first began learning was squaking the whistle. My wife is just begininning and has the same problem. We could both play this whistle cold right out of the packaging and the notes were clear as a bell. No squaking from either of us. I realize I am no judge of quality or proper sound. But this whistle seems to me to be a very good inexpensive whistle for a beginner. I have been thinking of getting my grandsons a whistle and I may get them one of these because they play very easily. :)
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
jiminos

Re: Inexpensive whistle I like Product of Woodnote

Post by jiminos »

part of me wants to congratulate you on finding a whistle that works for you.... i am happy the whistle works so well for you and your wife. hope you derive many years of pleasure....

another part of me is sad for the Kelishecks (not sure of spelling, but they are the makers of Susato whistles).... another family of artisans undercut by a foreign manufacturer who has stolen the hard work of the artists.... ain't pursuit of the almighty dollar a wonderful thing....

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Pops, can you possibly post or point us to a photo of the whistle, or give us the eBay link you used?

Not to get too political ... And none of this is directed at you, Pops. You're just the honest customer. But I'm more or less with Jim on this. See:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85854

Woodnote is another Chinese company making cheap, exact knock-offs of Yamaha recorders and fifes - and now apparently Susato whistles. Like the "Smart" whistles which came up recently in a different thread, from Jinan Smart Music (Shandong), who also make "Yama(kaw)a" recorders. :o

To repeat my previous remarks:
MTGuru wrote:Given the work and expense which I know the Kelischeks have put into the design and development of the Susato, I'd be loath to support a maker whose business model is the theft of intellectual property, if that's what this is.
I'm sure the Kelischeks are struggling in this economy like everyone else. They're a very small American company, and now their main product is under assault. It seems that they're responding with their new less expensive Oriole line, and I'll leave the intellectual property issues to the lawyers. But I'd guess a good way to destroy yet another innovative small maker is to support possibly illegal direct knock-offs. Any maker could be the next target. I'm sure they'd love to capture the beginner's market, and vendors like Hobgoblin abet the process by carrying the products.

FWIW, I did notify Mike Kelischek about the last "Smart" thread, and had no reply. So maybe they're not concerned. And I certainly have no vested interest in Susato, except that I play their whistles.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'm gonna guess this is what was referred to. I have a D and a C on the way just to see what's what with them. My guess is that they are the same product as the Smart. I'll say more once they get here and I have a chance to play and otherwise dissect them.

And before anyone gets upset at me for buying these just let me say that I've owned more than a couple dozen Susatos in the last twenty years and don't expect to stop buying from the Kelischeks.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I forget, Feadoggie ... Did you already get hold of a Smart whistle for comparison?

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:Did you already get hold of a Smart whistle for comparison?
No, I'm pacing myself. I had seen these first, thought they'd be here by now. The Smart will follow. I expect these are popped out of the same molds (Jinan?) and branded (or not) as required by their distributors.

Feadoggie
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

Frankly, I wish I had not said that it resembles a Susato or anything else. My post was strictly meant to help new whistle players find a whistle that would encourage them to play :(
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Whistling Pops wrote:My post was strictly meant to help new whistle players find a whistle that would encourage them to play :(
Of course ... But it's also new information, and it's good that you brought it to everyone's attention. :thumbsup:

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Whistling Pops wrote:Frankly, I wish I had not said that it resembles a Susato or anything else.
You shouldn't be concerned about mentioning anything as far as I am concerned. By the way is the link I showed above the whistle that you bought?

Woodnote has been distributing recorders that are from all accounts identical to the Yamaha models and at a lower price for some time now. It has been postulated that Yamaha at one time contracted out the manufacture of their recorders to another company/country to reduce their costs. And while many retailers state that Yamaha recorders are made in Japan some would say that has not been the case for years. Players on other forums have also suggested that Smart recorders are in fact made by the factory that produces the Yamahas and are their own brand. Woodnote happens to be getting their recorders from that same factory from what I've read. Some counties do not share the respect of rights concerning products and patents that others do.

And the "Irish Flute" business has its pretenders too.

So this may just be the whistle version of what has been going on in the recorder world for some time. I'm just curious how close the Smart/Woodnote whistle is to a Susato. The difference here, as far as I can state it, is that the Susato is, according to the Kelischeks, presently made by them in Brasstown North Carolina, So these imported whistles would be shameless knock-offs if they measure up.

Feadoggie
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, it looks like Woodnote have a 6 year old 1-post blogspot page. The listed website link is non-functional.

http://woodnote-music.blogspot.com/

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Yep. And
The Recorder Homepage wrote:The Liyun Cultural Co. with its headquarter in Taiwan and branches in JiangSu and in the USA has been manufacturing musical instruments since 1980. As well as producing plastic recorders, their range of products include tranverse flutes, melodicas, Orff instruments and violins. Since 2004 all products are offered under their own brand name, namely 'Woodnote'.
Recorder forums have been discussing Woodnote and Smart brands for some time. Discussions are similar to those that occurred on music recording technology forums about ten-trwelve years back over the influx of imported microphones resembling classic models. History repeats itself.

Feadoggie
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:FWIW, it looks like Woodnote have a 6 year old 1-post blogspot page. The listed website link is non-functional.
http://woodnote-music.blogspot.com/
The website was abandoned sometime in 2009/2010 according to the Wayback Machine.
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

Feadoggie,

Yes, that is the same whistle.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

The same whistles are being made available in the UK as well. Has anyone else bought one yet?
... I don't have one of their whistles, but I do have one of their "Yamaha-lookalike" fifes. Although they are externally visually very similar, they are dimensionally and constructionally (marginally) different. That's not to say one is better or worse than the other, but one might argue that the Ferris fife is simply manufactured to look like a Yamaha, but not a to be a direct copy. It would be interesting to know if this is also true of their whistles in relation to the Susato instruments.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."