Music prayer...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Music prayer...

Post by Feadan »

I’ve not posted to the forums for several years though I do peek in now and again. Some may remember me as the guy that wrote Planxty Dale Wisely…or perhaps for other things not quite so positive <grin> ;-)

At any rate, back in the day I know there were a fair number of “Christian” whistle players out there so this may possibly be aimed mostly at them. While I don’t consider myself “Christian” (or anything that has a name to it), I do firmly believe in the power of positive thought and prayer. If I was forced to enter on a form a word for my religion I would probably choose the word “music”. There have been countless times while playing whistle and especially singing harmony I’ve had a feeling that I think borders on what would have to be called a “religious experience”. But I digress. Back to the positive thought and prayer bit, I need both right now. My 19 year old daughter, Evlin, has been diagnosed with leukemia (AML) and has to contend with the FLT3 mutation that makes the cancer more aggressive, harder to treat, and also increases the chance it could return.

Back in the mid 90s I wrote an air for Evlin, “Evlin Rose”, that I am now using as a sort of music-prayer to have the auditory and fine motor focus as a vehicle to send positive thoughts and wishes for her healing & recovery. I invite any of a like mind to join me in learning the tune to that end or adding Evlin to your prayer group(s) or any of the above.

An audio file lives at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33288859/Evlin%20Rose.mp3

The dots and lines are at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33288859/Evlin%20Rose.pdf

A clip of the tune once through is on YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VYoq_Be ... AAAAAAAAAA

Best and Thanks,
David de la Barre
Gloucester, MA
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Music prayer...

Post by jiminos »

David,

i, too, believe in that positive energy. i would be honored to learn the tune and put it out there in the universe on a frequent and regular basis.

be,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I just "prayed" it for you and your daughter on an F flute... I think it sounds even better at a lower pitch. Nice tune and a really cool way to focus on something while playing. Hope the therapy works and she has a complete remission..

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Thanks, Jim! And you too, Pat. I've played it on my Low F Burke & Low D Silkstone as well. My friend Lin & I actually went over it with those settings practicing for our New year's Eve gig, but Evlin's stepmother says it's only the soprano D rendering that makes her cry. I think there is something to that so I'm sticking with the D myself. :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Very sorry to hear of this trouble. With you 1000 percent. It's a lovely aire.
I figure one of the reasons God created humanity is that he loves music.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

jim stone wrote:I figure one of the reasons God created humanity is that he loves music.
I'm gonna use this quote!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

My little brother had the same type of leukemia a long time ago. I will light a candle in church this weekend to lighten the load for your family.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

I have been playing this music, and much else that you have written, with great pleasure since finding your site several years ago. Tonight, it will be played with my prayers as accompaniment. You are much in our thoughts.
Happy Whistler

Post by Happy Whistler »

I just received my new Anderson High D in the mail this morning, the first tune I will learn on it will be Elvin Rose each time I do I will send my best healing thoughts, it will be a privilege.
I am said I, to no one there. (Neil Diamond)
cboody

Post by cboody »

Lovely tune. Interesting harmonic twist ending on that G chord. Good thoughts coming your way through playing the tune and other things too.

Chuck Boody
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hi David,
I'm one of "those Christian whistlers" who is better with the mandolin so played your beautiful melody on that and prayed a prayer of faith for Elvin to the One Who heals.
May I print the manuscript and play and pray it with my brothers and sisters? And being somewhat of a poet, I'll compose private lyrics for just my own eyes and ears and the One Who sees and hears.
Mack
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Yes, and thanks, Mack! Sent you a pm. :)
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Last Sunday I did not make our local session in Gloucester. Was doing my best to rest & let my body fight off a cold that was on it's way out. Cold germs are not welcome on an oncology ward and I needed to see my girl. Had to miss a visit last week for the sneezing, and draining sinuses. At any rate, I sent an email to the other 3 session leaders that I would not be there & why. My music mate, Steve, master of many strings (banjo, mandolin, bouzouki, guitar, etc.) played 'Evlin Rose' in my absence. I sent him a warm thanks via facebook and part of his kind reply was, "When we play it, I feel like we're wind spinning a prayer wheel". It's so nice and heartening to know people get it! 3rd chemo (+radiation this time) then marrow transplant next month.
Last edited by Feadan on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grizzle

Post by Grizzle »

Years ago during the evening lecture at the Friday Harbor Irish Music Camp Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin shared with us an old Irish Proverb, "Is deartháir don pháidir an port' - 'The tune is a brother to the prayer'.  

Beautifully represents my relationship with the music
'Is deartháir don pháidir an port' - 'The tune is a brother to the prayer'
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I love that! Thanks for sharing :-)