Getting the best value in selling / trading low whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
franco
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Getting the best value in selling / trading low whistles?

Post by franco »

As part of my effort recommit myself to playing trad music I am thinking of buying some new low whistles which I hope to finance by selling my existing low whistles. I have got a low A, low F, and a low D. I bought these from Colin Goldie about twelve years back, but never played them enough in the early years to realise that they were "quiet blowers". I should probably record myself more in different places to get a very accurate idea of their sound, but I guessed they were on the quiet side, and Colin Golie's website seems to confirm that he does make them this way unless the buyer specifies otherwise.

Anyway, I prefer a louder sound, and I guess I would prefer to sell these ones and then order a couple of whistles which have the sound I want. My questions are what are the chances of doing a trade and actually getting a louder blowing low whistle - or getting the sound I want (I guess that is one reason to go to a maker)? Am I better off to sell these ones and just use the cash to order what I want? Am I likely to get a lot less than the price Goldie is charging on his website.

Also, in the past I always listened to Brian Finnegan and Mike Mcgoldrick playing Goldie whistles and considered the live sound to be perfect - hard to improve on in terms of tone. However, the last time I heard Brian live I thought his F whistle was on the quiet side. I suppose the question is whether Colin is making his whistles any different these days, whether the sound has changed, and whether other makers whistles compare? It's very difficult for me to compare because the more melodic tunes Brian and Mike play aren't really played by other players on similar whistles. The differences in style between players probably makes the comparison difficult anyway.
Flute for thought.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Getting the best value in selling / trading low whistles?

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Franco,

I think you're chasing a ghost here to a certain extent. There's nothing particularly quiet about Colin's whistles. He does produce them with varying degrees of backpressure - "easy blowing" to "hard blowing". But in terms of volume they are as robust as any low whistles I've ever heard - and I've heard and played much quieter ones. For example, I'd say the MKs are very comparable in volume.

A low whistle with a large air requirement (e.g. Grinter) may give the impression of more loudness because you're pumping more air into it. But objectively, a decibel meter may tell you otherwise. And you may be trading off other desirable characteristics, such as tone, response, and length of phrasing.

If you want really cutting volume at the pitch level of low whistle, you really want a flute, not a whistle. :wink:

Since I think your initial premise is flawed, I'd suggest keeping your Goldies and working on your playing technique to maximize their potential. That combination of A, F and D is a very nice set indeed.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

If you prefer the Overton tone and just like your whistles louder I recommend you contact Colin and talk it over with him. There are not so many whistle makes with that particular tone: Kerry Pro and Reviol comes to mind. Reviol whistles are free blowers with a louder sound IMO.

Most other whistles have a curved windway and sounding edge, and therefor a slightly different tone than straight-edged whistles.

Many whistles including Overtons can be made to play louder by carefully increasing the height of the windway using fine wet and dry sanding paper and rounding sharp edges of tone holes etc. If you are good with your hands you could even attempt this yourself, just check often so you won't do too much, especially to the windway!
franco
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by franco »

Hi MT Guru, well I suppose back pressure would also make a difference to volume since you need to blow harder to get the same note. My observations on this (particularly relating to Brian's playing) are that the high notes such as the high A really miss out on volume and a certain expression to the note simply because the whistle will not take enough air. You just cannot play the note powerfully (think Davy spillane) with an easy blowing whistle. The range you want simply isn't there to play with.

Also I have heard Brian get a range of volume on a single note (that is to say bringing the note from quiet to loud - and back again) which seems to be impossible on an easy blowing whistle. Whilst I could contact Colin and ask him more about this I suspect I do have a point here and I don't think any amount of playing the whistles I have will give them that range. In fact I have found it quite frustrating trying to vary the volume of the notes. I am a flute player, and I am sure I would be aware if the note had the range - although anything is possible.

I agree with you that A, F, AND D are a great combination. That is why I am somewhat worried that I will sell the ones I have and not be able to finance buying the same whistles.

Thanks, Hans. I don't really appreciate the technical points you are making, but I am sure they will make sense if I look into them. I will also look up the whistles you mention. It is difficult for me to consider anything other than a Goldie without hearing good performances on the whistles so I'll try to find some.
Flute for thought.
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

I suspect contacting Goldie is your best option.