Would anyone be interested? (potential CP)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Would anyone be interested? (potential CP)

Post by brewerpaul »

Someone posted an ad for one of these on the used instrument forum:

http://www.peelerfifes.com/fifes/resin/

Do you think there would be any interest in a whistle made from this beautiful stuff?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Would anyone be interested? (potential CP)

Post by Byll »

Ach... In what is left of my old mind, I see a 'beautiful stuff' Busman Bb... Wondrous...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'm with Byll. Paul, why do you keep us waiting....

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

ecohawk wrote:I'm with Byll. Paul, why do you keep us waiting....

ecohawk
Inertia and economics.
I can make all of my current pitches (C,D,Eb) using the same tubing ID and OD.
To start making Bb, I'd have to have a new custom built gundrill made before I could even start making wooden tubes and start experimenting with finger hole sizes and locations, windway dimensions, etc. That done, I'd have to get a custom drilling jig made for those finger holes, and work up and order custom metal fittings. All in all, more time consuming and costly than I'm prepared to tackle at present on top of working full time, rehearsing weekly with a band, etc. Someday....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Wow!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Would glow in the dark and black light affected colors be possible?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

It is no surprise to me, Paul, that you have your priorities straight.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

To answer your original question, I'd think about one in some crazy combo color like that blue/Red in the front of the pic. It seems if you're going to go outside of the conventional, you might as well go for it!

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Stacey O'Gorman, of Alba Whistles, made a whistle of very similar stuff in a gorgeous green well over a year ago. She did have a picture up on her forum, which is now defunct. IIRC, she planned to test that one whistle for a bit before deciding if it would be worth (or worthy of?) producing. Don't think she ever made the second one ... mainly because it was supposed to be mine if she did.

So ... yes, Paul, I would be interested in a fine Busman whistle in a wildly colored acryclic tube ... green, blue, purple, gray ... hard to choose one color. :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'd say yes, for sure, Paul. Moss green with gold or silver marbling would be cool - or black with rich metallic green veins...... of you can get the stuff in such!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

jemtheflute wrote:I'd say yes, for sure, Paul. Moss green with gold or silver marbling would be cool - or black with rich metallic green veins...... of you can get the stuff in such!

I second this!
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

brewerpaul wrote: Inertia and economics.
I can make all of my current pitches (C,D,Eb) using the same tubing ID and OD.
To start making Bb, I'd have to have a new custom built gundrill made before I could even start making wooden tubes and start experimenting with finger hole sizes and locations, windway dimensions, etc. That done, I'd have to get a custom drilling jig made for those finger holes, and work up and order custom metal fittings. All in all, more time consuming and costly than I'm prepared to tackle at present on top of working full time, rehearsing weekly with a band, etc. Someday....

On the other hand, it is slightly boring that the majority of wooden whistle makers make the same 3 keys, when they even make more than one. You'd probably find you had quite a market if you made an excellent F/G combo, or A/Bb. Personally, I look at a new whistle maker's site and see - how exciting! He makes a beautiful C/D/Eb combo!
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

killthemessenger wrote:On the other hand, it is slightly boring that the majority of wooden whistle makers make the same 3 keys
Well, "boring" is an odd word. Would be like saying all those C and F recorders are boring, when it's what the repertoire calls for.

The D/C pair is the standard session kit, to cover 90% of the session tune keys. Eb is popular for solo playing, for the brighter sound. It's reasonable that makers like Paul with limited output would focus on the keys that trad players mostly want and need. Those other keys are quite specialized. Yes, he'd have a market - a small market. And I'm sure that makers who do already have those other keys in their range will gladly offer the combinations mentioned.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

MTGuru wrote:
killthemessenger wrote:On the other hand, it is slightly boring that the majority of wooden whistle makers make the same 3 keys
Well, "boring" is an odd word. Would be like saying all those C and F recorders are boring, when it's what the repertoire calls for.

The D/C pair is the standard session kit, to cover 90% of the session tune keys. Eb is popular for solo playing, for the brighter sound. It's reasonable that makers like Paul with limited output would focus on the keys that trad players mostly want and need. Those other keys are quite specialized. Yes, he'd have a market - a small market. And I'm sure that makers who do already have those other keys in their range will gladly offer the combinations mentioned.
Fair enough (for the second time today!). For someone like myself, who plays either alone or with just one or two other musicians, I look for some variety in tone and range, which can be found by having a variety of keys. If I mainly played in sessions (which I'd love to do, for the education in traditional style as much as anything else, if there were any nearby) then I'd probably be very happy with the high C/D and low D combination.

About the C and F recorders, I think the situation is a bit different. It would be harder to transpose continuo and other parts parts on the fly in baroque music (although no doubt it can be done) than simply change whistle and accompaniment key on a guitar.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

killthemessenger wrote:About the C and F recorders, I think the situation is a bit different. It would be harder to transpose continuo and other parts parts on the fly in baroque music (although no doubt it can be done) than simply change whistle and accompaniment key on a guitar.
Not so different, actually. It's really the exact same issue in session playing. You can't just grab, say, a nice F whistle as a transposing instrument and expect the other session players to follow. Fully chromatic instruments will be (mostly) unused to transposing out of the accustomed key of a tune, and diatonic instruments may be unable. Even when they can, a change of key can mean a different approach to ornament and phrasing, which takes a good deal of skill to work out on the fly.

So as you suggest, you tend to hear the odd whistle keys played in solo settings, or small groupings where the other instruments can be capoed or chosen to match the key, or bands/groups where all the requirements of the key are worked out in advance for the arrangement.

Of course, there's the session dirty trick of using an odd-key whistle (or learning a tune in an odd key) when you actually want to prevent others from playing. Nasty. But there are times when you might want to play a setting or arrangement for your mates and have them just listen, not reflexively join in. Choosing to play in e.g. Ab or C# is an effective deterrent - if you can make it through before they start throwing their shoes at you. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.