Would anyone be interested? (potential CP)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
highwood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Would anyone be interested? (potential CP)

Post by highwood »

Back to the original question...
I have made a D whistle from this stuff - and I have to report that I was not as impressed as I thought I was going to be, both in looks and sound. Maybe a thicker walled version would have worked better - would just need to recalculate things, make a few prototypes to iron out a few details and... ...maybe I'll just stick to wood and cpvc/pvc pipe for now!
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

CrazedHavoc wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:I'd say yes, for sure, Paul. Moss green with gold or silver marbling would be cool - or black with rich metallic green veins...... of you can get the stuff in such!

I second this!
I third this! :D
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I make Parlor Pipes, Small Bagpipes and reed pipes with Stabilized Wood and Acrylic myself. I love to use this material on the Lathe and I dont have to cure blanks for 2 years before making an instrument. Using a brass liner helps with sound production too.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

Of course, there's the session dirty trick of using an odd-key whistle (or learning a tune in an odd key) when you actually want to prevent others from playing. Nasty. But there are times when you might want to play a setting or arrangement for your mates and have them just listen, not reflexively join in. Choosing to play in e.g. Ab or C# is an effective deterrent - if you can make it through before they start throwing their shoes at you.
I was thinking about this the other day and realized that while it may deter many it would do nothing to slow down a player of spoons, or bones, or ... karma and such
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
sackbut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sackbut »

I'm a little puzzled that A & G haven't been mentioned as desirable whistles so far - they're the ones I use most after the D at the local session - not for different keys, but for a different range. If a tune lies mostly in the lower register of the D whistle, I find it can be more fun to play it mostly in the upper register of the A or G.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Paul did mention. :D
brewerpaul wrote:Inertia and economics.
I can make all of my current pitches (C,D,Eb) using the same tubing ID and OD.
To start making Bb, I'd have to have a new custom built gundrill made before I could even start making wooden tubes and start experimenting with finger hole sizes and locations, windway dimensions, etc. That done, I'd have to get a custom drilling jig made for those finger holes, and work up and order custom metal fittings. All in all, more time consuming and costly than I'm prepared to tackle at present on top of working full time, rehearsing weekly with a band, etc. Someday....
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.