Boolavogue

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Boolavogue

Post by DrPhill »

In which key do you prefer playing Boolavogue on a D whistle? I am learning this tune, and can play it in either A or G, but for some reason I prefer playing it in A despite having to half-hole the G#. I wonder why.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Wilsing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Boolavogue

Post by Wilsing »

I begin the tune on the low D, fundamental . I find that I have more range and freedom of expression beginning on this note. The tune sounds fuller and you do not need to half hole at all...

Hope that you and your family are having a wonderful holiday season Dr.Phill!!!

James
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

So you must be playing in G? Yes it fits that key nicely, but for some reason I seem to prefer playing it a couple of semitones up.

And seasons greetings to you too.
Phill

cboody

Post by cboody »

DrPhill wrote:So you must be playing in G? Yes it fits that key nicely, but for some reason I seem to prefer playing it a couple of semitones up.
Yeah, tunes do that don't they? I like this one in G usually, but it does have a bit more of something in A. Years ago I used to conduct a choir and our pianist had perfect pitch. Every now and then we'd be singing something unaccompanied and it would go flat (sharp sometimes, but usually flat). She would stare at the piano keyboard and announce "try it here." She'd never let me see what the change was. But almost inevitably we'd sing better in tune.

Go figgur....
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

cboody wrote:
DrPhill wrote:So you must be playing in G? Yes it fits that key nicely, but for some reason I seem to prefer playing it a couple of semitones up.
Yeah, tunes do that don't they? I like this one in G usually, but it does have a bit more of something in A. Years ago I used to conduct a choir and our pianist had perfect pitch. Every now and then we'd be singing something unaccompanied and it would go flat (sharp sometimes, but usually flat). She would stare at the piano keyboard and announce "try it here." She'd never let me see what the change was. But almost inevitably we'd sing better in tune.

Go figgur....
I am glad that I am not alone....
Phill