Whistle Angle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Whistle Angle

Post by Mikethebook »

As a beginner on the low whistle, indeed any whistle, I'm anxious to learn as much as I can. This question may be pointless or trivial but I'll ask it nonetheless. Most whistle players appear to hold their whistles at about 45 degrees to the body, a postion where the fipple enters and sits naturally in the mouth. However, some, Davy Spillane for one and an Emer Maycock (I don't know who she is but her picture is on page 28 of The Low Whistle Book so she must be someone of note - no pun intended!) hold the whistle almost parallel to the body so that the upper arms are at rest but the fipple enters the mouth at an unnatural angle. Is their more to this than rested arms, I wonder? Can anyone enlighten me on the differences in these approaches or is it purely personal taste?
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistle Angle

Post by DrPhill »

Everything affects the whistle tone. The angle at which air enters the windway is one of the many variables that can be used to control the whistle tone. I have not studied those players, but I would not be surprised if the angle of the whistle changed with the note they are playing, the tune they are playing, the whistle they are using, and whether they are posing for a photo.

I think MTGuru posted an essay on this topic which would be of interest, but I am not sure what to search for.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I think that being in a comfortable playing position where you can finger the instrument easily is a lot more important than playing at some particular angle. You want a reasonably straight and unobstructed flow of air.
Best thing for you to do is try all sorts of angles and see what works for you. Maybe you could record the results so you can hear what they sound like from the other side of the whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the replies. A comfortable position is obviously important and some fipple shapes wouldn't allow a vertical position. Nevertheless I would love to hear what MTGuru wrote on the subject and how the angle affects tone. As you say DrPhill, I'm not sure what to look for but maybe he'll visit this thread.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

I tend to hold mine almost parallel to my body with my head pointing a bit downward so I have about the same angle as if I were holding it out at about 30 to 45 degrees. I'm curious as to whether the people you mentioned were doing this or if the fipple really really was pointing strait toward the roof of their mouths.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

No, I think in the case of the two people mentioned the fipple is pointing towards the roof of the mouth.images.jpg
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Some people ascribe whistle angle to deference, or lack of it. A near-vertical whistle is deferential: "I am a newcomer, and do not want to annoy the regulars." A whistle tending to the horizontal is insouciant: "I don't care what's going on, I'm on fire!"
Whistle angle seems to rise as newcomers feel they are accepted.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

DrPhill wrote:I think MTGuru posted an essay on this topic which would be of interest, but I am not sure what to search for.
Mea culpa ... Apologies to Mike for the delay.

I think this is the post Phill is probably thinking of:
viewtopic.php?p=788155#p788155

Here's another with some angle/embouchure links:
viewtopic.php?p=905006#p905006

And here's a recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84447
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

MTGuru wrote:
DrPhill wrote:I think MTGuru posted an essay on this topic which would be of interest, but I am not sure what to search for.
Mea culpa ... Apologies to Mike for the delay.

I think this is the post Phill is probably thinking of:
viewtopic.php?p=788155#p788155

Here's another with some angle/embouchure links:
viewtopic.php?p=905006#p905006

And here's a recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84447
Thanks MTG, I was beginning to doubt my memory or sanity or both!

I use whistle angle to control air flow on whistles which require a lot of air.
My default position is that the tip of the whistle rests on my lower lip, and the upper lip rests above with just enough pressure to make a seal. Neither lip interferes with the flow of air into the whistle. The whistle is in a sort of middling position, between shy and flagrant.
As the air requirements increase (different whistle or moving up through the second octave) the whistle moves down towards a more shy position, but but pivoting on the lower lip. The upper side of the whistle end drags forward against my upper lip which cases the lip to begin occluding the windway.
By the time the whistle is vertical the windway is almost completely occluded, and air speed can be maintained with minimal air flow (volume). The use of the whistle angle to control the occlusion gives me a much finer degree of control over the air flow.

This is currently my only way to tame some of the air hogs I have owned, but I am not sure whether this is good technique so do not try this at home until an expert has pronounced it safe.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks MTGuru. Interesting stuff.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

I must be the oddest whistle player here when it comes to playing angle. I hold the whistle quite laterally, almost like a transverse flute, with the tube of the whistle held at approximately 20 degress forward of a line drawn between my ears, and rolled forward a bit with the sound window and windway opening of the beak about 45 degrees forward of horizontal relative to the mouth.. This bizarre practice initially occurred as I played the whistle whilst reading the screen of my laptop computer because I'm very nearsighted and there was simply no room for me to hold the whistle forward without bashing my teeth with the beak end. I sit on the floor with my laptop sitting on top of an old desktop tower. Comments on my insanity, particularly as I am in my late 60's sitting on the floor, are welcomed. :D Other concerns that led to this odd position are that when I played in a typical position, I found my fingers reflexed, sometimes painfully and certainly with a loss of agility, and that this reflexing was eliminated by holding whistles laterally. I was much more comfortable and could play longer. This practice started as I played my Bb's, a Generation and a Chieftain New Range [my favourite whistle], and I found that I produced a more accurate pitch on the second octave D on the Generation when I played this way. But subsequently, as I had played more hours, I was able to produce the same pitches and tonalities in both my favoured laterality and in conventional position. But the advantage of comfort, agility, and playing time remained with the lateral position. I now play all my whistles, even the Clarke Originals, in the lateral position. Call me weird or insane if you so desire, but it works best for me.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

One reason to hold your instrument higher is lung capacity. With your arms up and elbows out you can hold more air and hence do longer phrases.
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

How I hold a particular low whistle depends specifically on the whistle I am playing, and the tone I am trying to achieve. I may hold a quieter low whistle slightly to one side at times, to hear it better. The Goldie likes to be held a little more horizontal, whereas the MK liked to be more verticle. Just a Paul said, comfort has every bit as much to do with it. I don't decide how to hold the whistle... how I hold it is determined for me, by the whistle itself.
Playing, not paying.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

JackCampin wrote:One reason to hold your instrument higher is lung capacity. With your arms up and elbows out you can hold more air and hence do longer phrases.
Yes. Exactly so, and I find the lateral hold does that automatically.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've seen some people playing whistles with a straight 90 Deg down angle and with that you run into the possibility that the fleshy part of your lips could cut off the air.

The elbows up, reminds me of band camp (over 30 years ago).
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D