"Pure" sounding wooden whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Hatfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

"Pure" sounding wooden whistles

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Along the lines of Fred Rose and Abel, does anyone else make wooden whistles that are considered "pure" that are a bit less expensive? Fred's go for around $325 or so and of course Abel's are $450. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog D
Fred Rose D
Mike Turner Anasazi
squirrel

Re: "Pure" sounding wooden whistles

Post by squirrel »

I've recently bought an O'Brien wooden whistle and it has a very pure tone, it's a joy to play.
And David sell them at a very good price... :)
Last edited by squirrel on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english...
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

Forum member chas makes a heck of a nice wooden whistle as well. Not sure what he is selling them for these days, but as recently as a year ago I believe that they were sub $100.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

I've had a couple of O'Brien's, and I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in that sound.

For the same money, I would give Gene Miligan's whistles equal consideration.

Whatever you get, get it directly from the maker, and make it known to them beforehand exactly what it is you are looking for. Don't just order one blindly and hope it's what you want.
Playing, not paying.
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Thanks for the replies. I have owned an Obrien rover in spalted maple (really sorry I sold it). It was leaning toward the pure end but not quite like the Rose or Abel to me. David's prices are really good for what you get to. Nice work. I was looking at Gene's as well. They certainly look nice. I hadn't thought about asking a maker if they can make one with a "purer" sound.
Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog D
Fred Rose D
Mike Turner Anasazi
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I played a nice sounding wooden whistle briefly as part of a tour. I think the maker's name was Brad Anderson?
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Steve Hatfield wrote: I hadn't thought about asking a maker if they can make one with a "purer" sound.
Yes, there are makers that can satisfy your needs. When I bought mine David sent me audio files of the three whistles he had available. One was very pure (I bought it!) and the other two a bit more "reedy" sound. Being hand made not all the whistles are the same.
Sorry for my bad english...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:I played a nice sounding wooden whistle briefly as part of a tour. I think the maker's name was Brad Anderson?
Yes, I have one of Brad Anderson's whistles and I would second that recommendation. I like the one I have a lot.
Steve Hatfield wrote:does anyone else make wooden whistles that are considered "pure" that are a bit less expensive?
I am not sure if it fits with your "bit less expensive" criteria but they are very nice whistles that play well. Here's the link to Brad's site.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve Hatfield wrote:Along the lines of Fred Rose and Abel, does anyone else make wooden whistles that are considered "pure" that are a bit less expensive? Fred's go for around $325 or so and of course Abel's are $450. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Tommy Dion makes pure tone wood whistles. Click the pics for a sound clips.

''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

You can get a Ralf Sweet from Hobgoblin for around $185.00 and a Tamlinn(Adler) maple for about $80.00 and Gene Milligan's for $185.00 to $225.00
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Phil Bleazey's wooden whistles are excellent, with a beautiful pure, woody, concentrated tone, and very reasonably priced. They don't sound like anything else, but they are loud. I had a high D I sold because it was simply too loud for my needs; on the other hand, I kept his low G, which is a unique whistle in terms of tone, at least in my experience. Very rich, flute-like and expressive.

You might ask Phil about different woods and how they affect the overall volume of his instruments, if volume is an issue.

I haven't played an Abell, but the videos I've seen indicate that they have quite a lot of air in the tone.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Steve - Tommy jogged my memory... I used to have one of his whistles in cocobolo, and it was absolutely flawless - pure, expressive, and perfectly tuned. I think if you were to play one, it would be exactly what you want.
Playing, not paying.
scottie

Post by scottie »

AvienMael wrote:I've had a couple of O'Brien's, and I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in that sound.

For the same money, I would give Gene Miligan's whistles equal consideration.

Whatever you get, get it directly from the maker, and make it known to them beforehand exactly what it is you are looking for. Don't just order one blindly and hope it's what you want.

I would have to agree with the above quote when referring to Gene Miligan's whistles. I played a couple of his whistles at the Colorado Irish Festival this year and really like the tone. Very fine whistle which sells for $175. Beautifully crafted and well worth the money. Has anyone bought or played the wood whistle made by Erik the flute maker? I see his sells at a good price but not familiar with the wood he uses or it's tonal response.

Scottie