Walton Irish tin whistle peeling! HELP!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Corgicrazed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Walton Irish tin whistle peeling! HELP!

Post by Corgicrazed »

I've owned a Walton's Tin whistle for about half a year, and when I took it out to play this morning I noticed that it's peeling! Is there any way I can stop this from getting worse? It's peeling horribly on the top finger hole and where I put my thumb. It's one of my favorite whistles and It doesn't look very pretty with layers coming off. :(
Has this ever happened with anyone else's Walton whistle? Please Help! :-?
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
JackCampin

Re: Walton Irish tin whistle peeling! HELP!

Post by JackCampin »

I have a whistle with a similar coating and what I'd like to do is remove it all.

What solvent might work? Or do I need paint stripper?
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Have you tried nail varnish remover? Easier to apply than paint stripper, I would think.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

You get what you pay for...always.
wiz
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Corgicrazed wrote:I've owned a Walton's Tin whistle for about half a year, and when I took it out to play this morning I noticed that it's peeling! Is there any way I can stop this from getting worse? It's peeling horribly on the top finger hole and where I put my thumb. It's one of my favorite whistles and It doesn't look very pretty with layers coming off. :(
Has this ever happened with anyone else's Walton whistle? Please Help! :-?
This is probably not the answer you were hoping for, Corgicrazed, but actually your Walton's is now officially legit. Think of it as a Wabi-Sabi thing. Think of it as fierce. Embrace the funkiness.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Anytime I've picked up a Waltons or Generation I've always stripped the clear coat away with nail polish remover (acetone). Works quickly and easily with no side effects.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

After trying isopropanol and white spirit on that whistle (didn't have any nail varnish remover) I found it didn't have any varnish anyway, just a an area where there had been a glued label.

So I polished it inside and out with Barkeeper's Friend, using warm water and cotton wool balls. Neat stuff. It now has a nice matte finish.
Trout Mask
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Trout Mask »

I had the same issue with a brass Generation, I stuck it in a bowl of hot soapy water and chafed off the offending lacquer with a pan scourer

Had a 'satin' finish for a week or so but now has a nice patina after a few weeks playing
Fast & Bulbous
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

The coating is not paint. It's nickel plating. I would suggest scraping it with something sharp. Too bad when a nice whistle turns mean. Like wizzywig said....

Tip of the hat to Nanohedron....

If you use acetone, be sure not to get it on the fipple. You will probably hate the consequences. (acetone melts most plastics)

Cheers!
-=c=-
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Nobody here is talking about nickel plating or paint. Both Generation and Waltons brass whistles come with a clearcoat of some sort on the brass (nickel plated Gens do not have this). It keeps them looking shiny as the metal is not exposed to the elements. However, after playing for a while your fingers will begin to wear off the clear coat and might leave behind a flaky and unsightly mess. The whistle head shouldn't even be on the whistle when you strip it off as you want the top of the tube to be stripped as well. As I said, I've done it to dozens of whistles over the years and never once had problems with it. What you end up with is a tube that behaves more like brass (as if it were a Burke or a Sindt) and it develops a nice patina without the flakes of clearcoat.
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

straycat82 wrote:Nobody here is talking about nickel plating or paint. Both Generation and Waltons brass whistles come with a clearcoat of some sort on the brass (nickel plated Gens do not have this).
Oops. Sorry.