When do you practice music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What time do you practice?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:44 am

Early Birdie: Set the clock!
11%
Affordable Afternoon: music break.
36%
Enjoyable Evening: evenings with relaxing music.
36%
Nocturnal Nightmare: Late! Late! that's for me!
17%

Total votes: 72

Corgicrazed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

When do you practice music?

Post by Corgicrazed »

Just curious about when other people practice..... :)

I usually do it in the evening or really late "Nocturnal Nightmare."

An interesting tidbit of information: Michala Petri, the recorder virtuoso,is a "Nocturnal Nightmare".

Enjoy! :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Peewit

Re: When do you practice music?

Post by Peewit »

My possibilities are somewhat limited by my neighbours. My landlords live upstairs so it's in my best interest not too annoy them (too much). :D My landlady can't sleep so she is usually up till 3 am, then sleeps till 11 am. So I can't play or make any other loud noise before then. She called once when I was hanging pictures with help from a couple of others at about 10 am, and was angry because we woke her up :x Her husband is an early bird, which means he goes to bed at a normal time.

SO, I practice in the afternoon. I tend to practice flute more than whistle anyway, which is good from a noise standpoint. Maybe someday I will live in a single-family dwelling again... then I could even host house sessions. :party:
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I practice bagpipes at around 7 AM most days. When I practice whistle it's usually more like 9 AM.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

I practice whenever I can.

Mostly nocturnal - but that's because I live in the countryside, and it's easier not to disturb anyone after midnight in the woods (not sure about the animals though).

Playing outdoors is fantastic when the weather and location conditions are just right. It's a completely different experience from indoor playing - as much as I love echoey victorian houses, there's something special about playing the flute in woodlands.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'm an Aspie in a house full of Aspies (Asperger's Syndrome -ers). We are all picky about noises. One man's music is another man's gawd-awful racket.
I'm not allowed to play whistle in the house - fiat from daughter & wife. Consequently, all whistle, overtone flute, & tabor-pipe practice is carried on at lunchtime in the park, weather and pressure of work permitting. That would be between 1 and 2 PM. It's been unnaturally dry here these past few months, so I am getting a lot of practice. Made myself a Low-F Tabor pipe and I think I've got the hang of it. It is possible to play Peg Ryan's Polka on Overtone Flute and Tabor pipe, as well as on regular whistle. This must be some kind of record. Lillibulero comes out well on Tabor-pipe. I'm looking out for a tabor, now. Hobgoblin do a nice cheap one which is exactly the same as you get from the Early Learning Centre (Children's Educational Toys). The Early Music Centre do one in a kit form, which looks interesting.

Classical guitar practice tends to be between half-past six and half-past seven most evenings. Not if I'm going out. One of the cats is currently occupying the bedroom where I practice. She sits calmly through an hour of Elizabethan lute-tunes, Bach, Logy, Sor and Carcassi, but if I play some folk and start singing she pointedly leaves the room. Everyone's a critic.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Michala Petri is a dream as far as I'm concerned, not a nightmare. :D

I don't practice as such, apart from (mostly) weekly band practices where I'll play tunes on whistles, flute, and mandolin.
Other than that, I pick up whatever instrument moves me at the moment and noodle away at various times
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dsmootz

Post by dsmootz »

I work from home, my wife doesn't, and she's been overdosed on ITM more or less since I started playing it. So, I typically practice for a while as soon as she leaves in the morning, then a bit again at lunch, and in small 2 to 15 minute doses throughout the day, depending on what's going on.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi

It looks as if I am the lucky one here. Apart from a small amount of private work I am retired. My wife plays fiddle, mandolin and lap harp, I play whistles and harmonicas. We like to practice every day when ever possible. We play at charity events, local Pubs and folk clubs. Play mainly the works of Turlough O'Carolan, but we play very much anything in the folk tradition. As a failed harmonicas player of ......... years I have been known to play blues and rock.

As I mentioned above just lucky I guess to be able to practice very much when I like. Keep the faith and keep on blowing.

Ian
Corgicrazed

Post by Corgicrazed »

I come from a pretty musical family, so no one is really bothered when I play... I like practicing late because I seem to be able to focus more... :-? Doesn't really make sense I know... I have two sisters and a brother who all play violin, the youngest being four when she started. I have a brother who plays organ,piano, and likes to fiddle with my instruments. And then there's me, and I play Piano,autoharp,harmonica,fife,sopranino recorder,soprano recorder,alto recorder, tin whistle. :D :D :D

The Second Doctor
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I used to play a lot in the mornings as I had an hour or so between when my wife left for work and when I left. I found that playing in the afternoon/evening when my joints and muscles are more warmed up has increased the quality of my practice. Really, I just play whenever I get the bug rather than sticking to a regiment but lately I've avoided trying to do too much in the morning.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

I ticked all four because I practice whenever I can! If I have a second, I'll pick up a whistle or something and just play.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Corgicrazed

Post by Corgicrazed »

Jäger wrote:I ticked all four because I practice whenever I can! If I have a second, I'll pick up a whistle or something and just play.
Sounds like a good plan to me! :lol: :lol:

The Second Doctor
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Jäger wrote:I ticked all four because I practice whenever I can! If I have a second, I'll pick up a whistle or something and just play.
Ditto
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

What about the option for mommies? i.e. whenever you can sneak away without being noticed.

However, you get noticed before long, since the whistle isn't exactly silent. It gives them a signal to zero into. So...In between pauses to answer the Mom, Mom, Mooommmm pagings.
shamrock45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by shamrock45 »

Mostly in the evening, but I practice a couple hours daily whenever I can get time alone, my whistle is never far away from me.