Do you ever use the "tunible" option in your band?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rosehebrew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you ever use the "tunible" option in your band?

Post by rosehebrew »

I always hear everybody talk about how important the "tunable" option is for whistles and I have to admit that all my whistles are tunable but.....in the real world do you ever really use it?
Everybody in the band I play in uses digital tuners to tune up and I have never heard a real problem with my whistles. In fact, I have NEVER had to use the "tunable option". I have them set to standard A 440 and that is that. No big deal, just wondering. :boggle:
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
Larry Marshall
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Do you ever use the "tunible" option in your band?

Post by Larry Marshall »

rosehebrew wrote:"tunable option". I have them set to standard A 440 and that is that. No big deal, just wondering. :boggle:
How did you do that if not by using the tunable option?

Cheers -- Larry
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

rosehebrew wrote:I have them set to standard A 440 and that is that.
So you're tuning your whistles to 440, yes?
Confused me thinks you may be. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rosehebrew wrote:I always hear everybody talk about how important the "tunable" option is for whistles and I have to admit that all my whistles are tunable but.....in the real world do you ever really use it?
Of course. Anything less says you either don't care about your audience, or about your fellow bandmates, or both; and that is as good as contempt, and just plain wrong. Either that or the band can't tell what "in tune" is, and maybe should hang up their hats.
rosehebrew wrote:Everybody in the band I play in uses digital tuners to tune up and I have never heard a real problem with my whistles. In fact, I have NEVER had to use the "tunable option". I have them set to standard A 440 and that is that. No big deal, just wondering. :boggle:
Here's where I have a problem understanding you. First you say you don't tune, and then you say you do. Which is it?

BTW, you may have noticed that however you tune a cold whistle, it will go sharp as it warms up. Thus tuneability is a Good Thing. I heartily recommend availing yourself of it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

In a hot venue in the summer, I often must retune my metal whistles to be at A=440.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yes. Even if everyone else is consistently on 440, ambient conditions - heat and humidity - affect the working pitch of all woodwind instruments and make adjustability very necessary IME. And, of course, they 'warm up' and need tuning. I never believe it when I see someone write that they have a fixed pitch whistle or flute that is 'always in tune'.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:I never believe it when I see someone write that they have a fixed pitch whistle or flute that is 'always in tune'.
Same here. Could be they mean "in tune with itself", but that's a different issue altogether.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I tune my whistle and flute before I play at a session or even practice. It is nice to know what A=440 sounds like when in the session so you can adjust quickly and learn tunes better.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I am worrier, so that's one of the reasons for my question. When you say they're "set" in tune, does that mean that you are the Ron Popeil of tuning? Set it and forget it? Are you sure your whistle don't get jostled or bumped after tuning? How long do you go between tunings? How are you storing your whistles?

I keep a silicon pencil gripper on my tunable whistles so that once they're set, they're set. When I play with other people, it's always at room temperature and I warm my whistles with breath before playing them so I believe the humidity is consistent too. I'm playing with other non-wind instruments, including an electronic keyboard and I'm blending in fine. When I play my fife, which doesn't have a silicon gripper, they'll let me know when I'm sharp.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:I warm my whistles with breath before playing them...
That would take care of the sharpening issue if you use a preset tuning position. Good for you.

In a performance situation you don't always get that option, particularly if you play more than one instrument. Sometimes you just have to deal with it and tune, because the whistle or flute will have gone cold, and guess what? They can't wait too long for you. Time's a-wastin'.

It's not just whistles; also guitars, fiddles, banjos, pipes, etc. etc. will go out of tune particularly if the weather's wonky or you have to play in a chilly draft. Whatever you play (the free reeds stand outside of mention, for all practical purposes), keeping an ear to your tuning is a must, not an option.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya left out the brass.... whaddabout trombones?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:ya left out the brass.... whaddabout trombones?
Brass, shmass. You show up at my sesh with your trombone, and see how it goes for you.

But point taken. And true, tromboners are always tuning on the fly no matter what. Sorta like fiddle, but luckier: no array of strings.
rosehebrew

Post by rosehebrew »

mutepointe wrote:I keep a silicon pencil gripper on my tunable whistles so that once they're set, they're set. When I play with other people, it's always at room temperature and I warm my whistles with breath before playing them so I believe the humidity is consistent too. I'm playing with other non-wind instruments, including an electronic keyboard and I'm blending in fine. When I play my fife, which doesn't have a silicon gripper, they'll let me know when I'm sharp.
Sorry I was not more clear but I think you guys had a roaring good time filleting me. :tomato: :lol:
I do know each of my whistles probably better than the back of my hand. I know where they are set and the few that are harder to judge at a glance I have a small mark on the back which is checked. I play in a worship band with a guitar, bass, keyboard and some times drums. We go through the songs, usually five to eight in practice once time each and then in another practice one time each on Sunday morning before the service, then we play the set. The band is not going to sit there while I mess with tunings and ding around with my sound. It is my job to get the whistle warm before the song comes up and in the right tune...as much as possible. Sometimes I just discreetly blow into it by blocking the sound hole instead of singing the first part of the next song so that it will be ready for it's part. Sometimes it is stressful because I know the team has no idea of the dance that goes on with playing multiple whistles in different keys in performance and practices but, in my view it is just part of the thing I do so I just do my best. Once in a while I whistle the whole tune and have to just pick up fast and play and let the whistle settle in a bit, it isn't a perfect world but our whole church just love that "flute", and say it blesses them and that is my goal so for me....it's working.
I store my whistles in a converted gun case, each one cradled in their own cut out egg crate spot so there is no sloshing around.:D
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rosehebrew wrote:Sorry I was not more clear but I think you guys had a roaring good time filleting me.
So are you cooked yet? :wink:

Let's say you show up at our session, and we've all decided to tune high to A445, around 20 cents high, because the fiddler likes the brighter sound. How will you handle that?

Or you're playing along with a CD recorded on analog tape, and mastered at a lower speed than originally recorded. How will you handle that?

Or you're recording a film soundtrack in a cold studio, and the score calls for 8 bars of C whistle in the middle of a long passage for D whistle. So you need to grab your C whistle cold and play it perfectly in tune. How will you handle that?

Or you're playing a duet with another whistle player, and a tuning difference of even a couple of cents in the upper octave is going to sound way out of tune with nasty beat frequencies. How will you handle that?

The point is that because your own personal experience of playing whistle in a band that robo-tunes to 440 doesn't call for tuning adjustments, doesn't mean that there aren't situations outside your experience where a tunable whistle is a useful thing. If you have it, it's there if you need it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We weren't filleting you so much as your post just didn't give us all the details and we ended up having more questions.

I play in the folk group at my church and there would be enough time between songs, at least during our services, to ready yourself and your next instrument. Also, since it sounds like you're the only wind instrument, (as I am in our folk group), there is not the difficulty of blending with another wind instrument.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦