Low F recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Low F recommendations

Post by Akiba »

Hi Whistlers,

I'm mainly a flute player, but I've noticed that I love almost any track on a cd that's done with a low F whistle. My solution so far has been to transcribe the tune and play it in F on my silver flute. But now I'm thinking I should try the real thing.

I know the top players go with Goldie, Kerry Pro, MK's. I'm wondering if there is a moderate to inexpensive option that's possibly tunable and still high quality. I like the sound of Guido Gonzato's whistles (and I certainly like the price), though I know they aren't tunable. I also saw the Chieftain V3, but again not tunable. Perhaps one of these is a good place for me to start or should I save up and just get a top end whistle--what do you think?

Thanks.
Feadoggie

Re: Low F recommendations

Post by Feadoggie »

Goldie, MK and Kerry Pro are good choices. Don't count out Mike Burke. The aluminum low F that he makes is a good player, IMO. I'd suggest starting with one of those four.

I've owned/played the Susato Kildare low F. It's a good whistle but perhaps not everyone's cup a tea. And the Dixon poly low F gets the job done too.

Guido's whistles are a good choice, IMO. I know he does not list tunable models on his website. He has made tunable whistles. I have two that he made which are tunable. The tuning slide is very well done too. Maybe if you ask very nicely... And there is no reason you couldn't make your own low F.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

If you'd only asked a day or two ago — there was a Humphrey low F on e-Bay. Went for $47.

That being by the boards, I'd also like to say nice things about the Burke low F. Not sure what your boundaries of "moderate to inexpensive option" are but the Burke new is about $230.

As Feadoggie says, Guido Gonzato's whistles are a good choice - and a bargain.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

If you don't want to go that high in price the Alba low F is very nice. I have one and love it.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Phil Hardy has his Chieftain V3's in D, F, and G are on sale right now. They are about $120 shipped. The V3 D's have been on sale from time to time, but this is the first time I've seen other keys available at the that price.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Ron beat me to the punch - I was also going to suggest the Alba tenor F. It's a fine tunable whistle at around $150 USD. I would also mention that while I like the Chieftains quite a bit, I've been happier with the two Alba whistles I've had.
Last edited by AvienMael on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing, not paying.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Save up for the Goldie!!!
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Thanks for the responses so far. Listening to McGoldrick and Finnegan, I dig how they have dynamics on their F whistles, i.e. they can push the sound, be loud and soft, rough or smooth. I take it that's probably more possible with a high-air top end whistle like the Goldie or Kerry Pro. It seems most other whistles have one sound and can't be pushed too far in other directions. Is this true? I seriously don't know for sure.
Chino

Post by Chino »

I had a Goldie Low F that unfortunately I had to sold because money troubles, and it was fantastic. I've got a Kerry Pro Low F which is great as well, I love it. I love the low whistles which have lot of back pressure, in which we can blow hard an that you can push.

I've got a Copeland Low F as well, a beautiful whistle, but too "easy" to play for me: being a hard blower, I break notes too easily on this low F, it can't be really pushed the way I want, so I even think to sold it in the future. Someone's interested? :D

I'm on a waiting list for an MK low F as well, and I'm sure it will be wonderful.

So I would recommand Goldie, Kerry Pro or MK. :wink:
Last edited by Chino on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Yes, I'd agree with above. My F is a Goldie and is a really great whistle, as is the MK. I haven't tried a Kerry Pro but they sound good to my ears too. Personally I would discount the Chieftain, the few I've tried are like toys compared to the Goldie to be honest. It's not a lot of money for an instrument, do yourself a huge favour and don't try to save £50 by compromising. If a Goldie or MK doesn't sound right you can be confident it's not the whistle, which is always good to know.
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

just wrote 'War & Peace' on this and lost the post when clicked 'submit' :swear:

to summarise go for a Goldie
great whistles and great service.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Akiba wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. Listening to McGoldrick and Finnegan, I dig how they have dynamics on their F whistles, i.e. they can push the sound, be loud and soft, rough or smooth. I take it that's probably more possible with a high-air top end whistle like the Goldie or Kerry Pro. It seems most other whistles have one sound and can't be pushed too far in other directions. Is this true? I seriously don't know for sure.
Well, I am not sure what you mean by ""a high-air top end whistle" but I do think I catch your meaning about the dynamics and "one sound". In my expereience I don't think any of the Goldie/Kerry Pro/MK whistles are particularly high in air requirements, if that's what you mean. A Burke or Copeland may use a bit more air but they both have a good dynamic range as well. As would an O'Riordan come to think of it. These are all top of the heap whistles and worth the investment. An MK low F or Kerry Pro low F may be difficult to source quickly. The availability of a Burke or Goldie would be better. And if you're looking for the McGoldrick sound the Goldie low F is a good way to get there.

Let us know what you select.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I once tried to decide if I preferred the MK or the Goldie in Low F and my brain exploded.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Luckily the Goldie and MK have such different characters you don't have to decide which you prefer - you just have to convince yourself you NEED both :0)
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

I got a killer deal on a Reviol low F in a used package deal, and it has made me really want to get one of Maurice's low D's (though I own an MK, which I love!).
The Reviol is one of my favorite whistles, and sounds amazing through the whole range. In other words, don't count these out either.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."