Susato "V" series. Any reviews?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Susato "V" series. Any reviews?

Post by MichaelRS »

Has anyone had a chance to play a Susato "V" series whistle?
If so, in what keys and how do you compare it to other whistles and the Susato "S" series?
MichaelRS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: Susato "V" series. Any reviews?

Post by MichaelRS »

Well, I guess not.

:(
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Two days isn't a very long time period, man. :poke:
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I prefer the S series Susatos. They have a stronger 1st octave and the 2nd octave isn't too much louder. The O ring tweak helps a little with the 2nd octave.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

I have a V series whistle in D and E. I don't use the E tube very often, but I do play the one in D quite a bit. I also have several S series whistles, including one in D. The D V series whistle has a reedier sound than the S series. The V series whistle isn't as loud as the S series whistle, but it still projects quite well. It is very responsive, plays well in tune, and I like the sound. Here is a link to Grey Larsen's site where you can compare the sound of an S series D and a V series D: http://www.greylarsen.com/store/tinwhistles_samples.php The S series is stronger in the low register, but the V series is still plenty strong, and definitely stronger than any of the inexpensive Generation type whistles.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

You may not be getting to many responses because Susatos seem to engender a tension between polar opposites - there are many who love them and just as many who don't.

There sound is somewhat unique. The SB (S-series) whistles are great for sessions because they are very loud. The VSB (V-series) are not as loud, but can be a little shrill at the high end.

The Susatos are well made and a great value for the money.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I have a standard bore high D and a VSB high D.

These whistles are what you make them. If you learn how to play them, they are really quite nice. And you'll learn a lot about how to control a whistle in the process. The difference in tone and playability between them is pretty minor--the VSB has a little more of an edgy sound, the SB a bit rounder.

If you don't want an instrument that takes more than a couple of weeks to sound nice on, then you may want to take a pass on these--while they are really quite easy to play after you get the hang of them, there's a lot more of a learning curve to these whistles than you find on some others.

Hint: if you ever plan to move to a Goldie (i.e. Overton) high D, you will find that having learned to play the Susato well will have been a good investment.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

I have a Dublin D V-series. I'd trade it for a Shaw. :) It is a nice whistle. I just don't like the sound as well as my Clarke (which isn't nearly as well in tune).

Deb
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

In enjoy my Susatos! In my opinion the best whistle in the VSB series is the Eb (but E and D are also quite good). In the SB series the best are the C and the B (while the D and Bb are also quite good and worth adding to your rack).