Reyburn high D with new head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A while back I reported that the wooden head had come adrift on the Reyburn high D/C set I had reviewed for the main C&F site.

To prevent such problems from recurring, Ronaldo has decided to abandon the wooden head, replacing it with one machined entirely from Delrin. The join to the brass tube uses no glue, apparently. A single brass pin is visible on the underside of the head.

Ronaldo has also modified the voicing to reduce the high air requirements that I commented on.

I think the new black head looks considerably better on the whistle - oddly, since in general I think wood looks a lot better than plastic.

As for playing characteristics, these are very similar to the original model that I reviewed. Unfortunately I can't compare exactly, because Ronaldo did not return the original head after repair, so anything I say about this relates to my memory of the original whistle.

The sound is pretty much the same; the air requirements are noticeably less, which is a very good thing. It seems to me that the price of this is that the whistle is slightly less forgiving and needs a little more control - as opposed to the old one, which you could take any amount of air you wanted to put through it, and then some.

This is not a bad thing, either, when you think of it, and certainly worth accepting in exchange for overall reduced air requirements.

So, I'd say Ronaldo's back on track with this new head. The whistle works very well - very responsive, and a very good choice for those who like some air in their sound.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

OK. But whats going to motivate me to plunk down some pretty good cash. Why not just stick with my cheapie? They don't clog, have pretty good volume and air requirements and are in tune for the most part. Over the past few years I've owned pretty much all of the expensive whistles and the only ones worth having IMO are Sindts and possibly a loud Copeland for group play. I know that you fall into the cheapie camp Steve. What would be your reasoning to buy a Reyburn?
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-12-05 21:05, dlambert wrote:
OK. But whats going to motivate me to plunk down some pretty good cash. Why not just stick with my cheapie? They don't clog, have pretty good volume and air requirements and are in tune for the most part. Over the past few years I've owned pretty much all of the expensive whistles and the only ones worth having IMO are Sindts and possibly a loud Copeland for group play. I know that you fall into the cheapie camp Steve. What would be your reasoning to buy a Reyburn?
As the politicians say, "that's a good question." Let me start by saying that I have no desire to induce you to spend money. As for my reasoning for buying a Reyburn, I have to say that I didn't buy the one I have - Ronaldo offered it to me for review. (Although I did subsequently buy one for a friend who makes whistles and who would I thought find it interesting.)

I wrestled with the question of whether the fact that it was free influenced me to give the whistle a more positive review than if it had been handed to me to try by someone else... All I can say is that I kept this in mind, and I stand by everything I said in the review. (In future though I think I won't accept any more such deals, for the sake of fairness to readers and sleeping well at night.)

Yes I fall into the cheapie camp and practically all I ever play at home are various forms of tweaked Generations. I also find them fine for the kind of session that I like best, in people's homes and sitting in quiet corners at festivals and the like. What I like about them is that I find it easier to play in the style that I like - in other words, I think I sound better on a cheap whistle.

To my mind the only reasons for playing anything else are tuning and volume. The one session that I go to in Montreal is in a pub that is usually shockingly noisy. I put up with this for the sake of the crack, but I usually play a louder whistle. Apart from the Reyburn the only maker's soprano Ds I have are an Overton and an old Jon Swayne boxwood whistle. I’ve tried various others and passed them on, including a Sindt D and a Burke WBB.

Being perfectly in tune with other musicians might also be an issue. I say might because I don't really do any gigging as a whistle player apart from a somewhat informal occasional dance band in which there tend to be tuning problems anyway (with usually 2 flute players playing what seem to be incompatible instruments). In this situation I have found that if I play the Overton (which is not tunable, but very well in tune) the clashes seem fewer. At least I can tell the others they have to tune to me and if things sound off, it’s not _my_ fault! I also played the Reyburn this summer at a couple of gigs involving a variety of musicians and tuning seemed to be excellent.

I am about to start proper rehearsals with a smaller new band though, which includes some very experienced and very in-tune musicians, and I intend to experiment carefully to see whether a cheapie can cut it in this company.

For most of my musical life I was a fiddle player and I never had tuning or intonation problems. The world of the whistle and its tuning "issues" has been an often unpleasant surprise. (Q: How do you get two whistle players to play in tune with each other? A: Shoot one of them.)

Why buy a Reyburn (or anything else costing more than $20)? Only if you want to spend the money and you think it will suit you.

However I stick by my usual advice, which is that if you are really looking for an instrument that you can use, and you want to avoid cluttering up your house with whistles you don’t play, you should try before you buy. Or at least try one of the same make before you send your money away. Failing that, you should have no compunction about returning an instrument for a refund if it’s not what you want.
drewcifer

Post by drewcifer »

I bought my Reyburn based on Steve's first review and I've found it to be a wonderful instrument and have been very satisfied with the money spent.
I am curious as to how the new head looks. Are there any pictures online? I found the wooden head to be quite pretty...and I feel rather skeptical that the new head could match it astheticaly.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Thanks Drew for your kind words. There is a picture of the new Delrin version on my Home Page at http://www.reyburnwhistles.com
Ronaldo
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Ronaldo, how long before you have sound samples to compare the low D wide bore vs. narrow bore?
Reyburnwhistles

Tony, I'm hoping to get some sound samples up within the next week or two. I'll make a post when they are in place.
Ronaldo
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Ronaldo,

That looks pretty nice.
Reyburnwhistles

Thanks Daniel. I will take this opportunity to let everyone know that I do my best to custom tailor my instruments to the needs of the player. Loud, soft, more or less breathy, flat upper end of second octave for a less screamy sound or up to concert pitch. The one thing I've learned in this biz is that different folks like their whistles to play differently, so I try to accomodate them.
Ronaldo
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Here is a welcome opportunity to drag up an old thread. In a trade I recently obtained the Reyburn D/C set with the black delrin head.

I am happy and pleased with the set. The sound is very pure, and so different from what I usually look for in whistles (that's the wonderful thing about trades). There is a beautiful huskiness to the sound, more pronounced in the C tube, that I like very much. The whistles play smoothly and crisply. They do take a bit of air and offer no backpressure. They are also pretty loud. Everyone I've played them for loves the sound, and I will be sure to use them in sessions and for dances. I know I am among friends who share with my an embarrassing affliction when it comes to whistles, so I do not mind admitting that I've been carrying them on my person for the past five days straight, practically.

Very pretty whistles, too. :)

Here is the link to StevieJ's original review:
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/reyburn/reyburnhigh.html
/Bloomfield
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

They are the best...I also have his cpvc set of high whistles...awesome. They are a little breathier,in a good way and a bit quiter than the brass. THe tone is very pure and solid. cured my WhOA,well,sort of..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."