Playing by ear

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jonathan-Howard
antispam: No

Playing by ear

Post by Jonathan-Howard »

Hello again.

A bit of background first: I've been playing the whistle for nearly a year now, having received a Clarke Original as a Christmas present. Started learning from a cheap 'learn to play the whistle' style book with CD, then found Ryan Dunn's series on Youtube helpful.
Since then I've been playing a Dixon Trad, and as of 2 days ago my new Burke! :D
I play the piano so I'm used to reading sheet music, and up until now that's been the way I've learnt new tunes.

Having read about all the pitfalls of relying on sheet music, at least alone, on here I'd like to try and get away from the habbit.
I was in Pakistan earlier in the year and took my whistle with me, several times there were groups of people playing drums and harmonium asking me to join in, but of course I had no sheet music for the songs.... I'd love the freedom of just being able to pick the thing up and play.

Anyway... I've started and seem to have no problem picking up theme tunes, carols, anything basic.
As soon as I come to jigs, reels, and the like though I'm totally lost. They are so fast paced, and even if I slowed them down with software all the ornamentation and subtle changes throw me. If I'm fortunate I may get the notes to form the rough outline, but all the parts in between seem to merge together.
Even Michael Eskin's Trad Lesson series, which is so slow and simple seems so tedious.

Any tips? Or is it just a case of keep persevering until it clicks?

Thanks in advance
Jonathan :)
straycat82

Re: Playing by ear

Post by straycat82 »

When you're new to Irish music you will need to spend a lot of time listening (even when you're not trying to play along) to the music before you will really know what you're hearing. You've heard Christmas carols your whole life and therefore have a sense for the basic structure of them, where the melody is going and sometimes even what to expect. In many cases we can come up with the melody for these tunes even in the absence of aural input- just from memory and repeated exposure alone.

This familiarity brings these elements together and gives your ear the ability to discern specifically what you're hearing. The other part of it is being able to quickly replicate what you're hearing on your instrument and this too just takes practice. Right now you're used to seeing the notes on paper and putting your fingers to it quickly but you now have to get that coordination between your ears and fingers. Jigs and reels are full of 8th and 16th notes which is a lot more for your ear to pick up in a short space of time as compared to, for example, Christmas carols which are less intricate. Think about when you learned to read sheet music. It happened very slowly at first. Sheet music is static and waits for you to decipher it, allowing you to go at your own pace; however, when listening, music is perceived in time (rather than space) and therefore you have to keep up with it. This is where learning to play by ear is more challenging than learning to sight reed (in my opinion).

These are all things that will take work and time to accomplish and there is no shortcut or quick route to get you there faster so just keep at it and it will come in time.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Welcome.

One web site that I've found useful is www.toraigh.com/slowsessions.html

They offer a basic core repertoire of tunes played very slowly, at a moderate tempo and at full speed so you get to hear what it should ultimately sound like and then can go back and work through the slower versions.

Helped me....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Be careful that you don't allow your ears to just be influenced by what is convenient. I listened to a few clips on that site and I wouldn't cite them as a good source for learning to play Irish music; the playing style doesn't sound very Irish to my ear. I don't know who the players are or if they post on this board so I hope I'm not offending anyone. Even though it's a little more work, I'd focus more on just listening to really good players, no matter what speed they're playing at. There are plently of great pipers out there who record at a nice relaxed tempo without sacrificing good rhythm, articulation and phrasing. Beyond that there are free ways of slowing down an MP3 file (Windows Media Player, for example) to help with the speed but still have quality music in your ear. Your playing would be better for seeking out something like that. Again, I'm not trying to start any arguments but if someone had told me this six years ago I'd probably be much happier with my playing today.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Be careful that you don't allow your ears to just be influenced by what is convenient. I listened to a few clips on that site and I wouldn't cite them as a good source for learning to play Irish music; the playing style doesn't sound very Irish to my ear. I don't know who the players are or if they post on this board so I hope I'm not offending anyone. Even though it's a little more work, I'd focus more on just listening to really good players, no matter what speed they're playing at. There are plently of great pipers out there who record at a nice relaxed tempo without sacrificing good rhythm, articulation and phrasing. Beyond that there are free ways of slowing down an MP3 file (Windows Media Player, for example) to help with the speed but still have quality music in your ear. Your playing would be better for seeking out something like that. Again, I'm not trying to start any arguments but if someone had told me this six years ago I'd probably be much happier with my playing today.
Yes, always an awkward moment, that. I would agree that you might be a bit careful with that site. (You have to commend the effort and the dedication, and it's not horrible or anything, but it's not phrased right and whoever it is can't play rolls.)

If you're looking for stuff to play along with, I'd recommend Foinn Seisún 1-3 put out by Comhaltas. Lot's of tunes, sounds like a session, speed isn't insane, and you'll get the phrasing. Nothing brilliant but you don't necessarily want brilliant at this point. You want steady and solid. You'll still need to slow it down initially. Thing to remember is that even just getting 3, 5, 10 tunes under your belt will make things seem a lot easier. If that already seems like a chore, then perhaps there is another musical style out there that excites you more.
/Bloomfield
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'd never come across Toraigh before. :o

I'd sincerely recommend sticking to Foinn Seisiún. Ryan Duns is fine and there are one or two other sites, but, um, not Toraigh, IMHO. You won't get the sound of the tunes in your head.

[They're not members here, are they?]
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yep, agree with Bloom and Ben. Fionn Seisiún is good. Those Toraigh recordings have a strong "American accent".

It's like learning a foreign language from a non-native speaker with a faulty accent. You may get the gist, and it's a start if that's all you have. But there are plenty of native (and nearly-native) speakers of ITM around as models.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Yikes! I have bad sounds in my head Image

Best wishes.

Steve
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Steve Bliven wrote:Yikes! I have bad sounds in my head
Image <-- Yes, we can see that! :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

The Toraigh recordings are part of the unfortunate trend of anyone with an internet connection thinking they can give lessons. Youtube is another site full of players who can barely play themselves giving "lessons". Avoid. Fionn Seisiún looks like a decent place to start.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The voices made me do it.... Image

Best wishes.

Steve
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Jonathan-Howard wrote: no problem picking up theme tunes, carols, anything basic.
As soon as I come to jigs, reels, and the like though I'm totally lost. They are so fast paced, and even if I slowed them down with software all the ornamentation and subtle changes throw me.

Any tips?
I don't know about slowdown software. I've never used it and when I started playing Irish music it didn't exist. I did have a tape recorder that could be set at half speed and that was very helpful sometimes. Interesting that at half speed the various melody instruments, say the fiddle, flute, and pipes had more tonal differentiation and I could hear which instrument was doing what.

But the vast majority of my tunes were learnt at full speed, either off albums or from live playing.

I think that, in the main, the skill of picking up tunes at full speed comes from doing it a lot. Put on an album and just hack away.

Rolls, rather than being an "ornament" that brings confusion, are your best friend, because they represent a spot where the melody parks for a bit; a rest amongst the torrent of notes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here's something pulled from a post I wrote a while back:

The first thing my ear latches onto is the places the tune "parks" or rests, these usually being "long rolls". In jigs the long roll occupies an entire beat, so that my first impression of the first four bars of a certain jig might be:
6/8 | ? / A roll | ? / G roll | ? / A roll | ? / rising scalar triplet |
Then I'll realise that the first ? is some sort of jumping around in a D chord, the second ? is jumping around in an E minor chord, and the third ? is the same as the first.
This "jumping around" is some sort of inversion of an arpeggio... after the rest of the people at the session play through the tune a time or two I'll realise that the first is
AdF# and the second is GBE giving the first part of the jig Sport:
6/8 | AdF# / A roll | GBE / G roll | AdF# / A roll | GEE / c#de |

In a reel, a long roll either occupies the first three notes or the last three of a group of four. Oftentimes the LAST thing I pick up in a certain reel is what that last note is.

In order or perception, I usually first hear rolls, then arpeggios, then scalar runs, these all being the main bits or motifs that define the tune. Last to be perceived by me are the little filler or transitional bits, which might well vary from player to player anyhow.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

I should add that in addition to long rolls, arpeggios, and scalar runs, another stereotypical motif that often occurs in Irish reels is the "rocking" motif.

Some are more or less a form of arpeggio:
D2F#D ADF#D
E2GE BEGE
G2BG dGBG etc etc

some use the fifth and sixth or seventh above the root:
D2AD BDAD
E2BE dEBE
G2dG eGdG

some use the third and fourth above the root:
F#2AF# BF#AF#
B2dB eBdB

Long rolls can be thrown in to these situations either as a variation or maybe as a particular player's version of the tune:
So G2BG dGBG can become G~3B dGBG or G~B3 d~B3 etc.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

As others have mentioned, the trick (well, one of many) with Irish music is getting down those motifs. You'll find yourself finishing tunes you don't know simply because you can hear where it is going. Personally, I use slowdown software. Be sure you know the tune that you want to learn. Then loop the first bar. Play it until you know it fairly well. Do the same with the second bar etc. Once you have the first part of the tune down, play that over a few times. Now do the same with the second part. By the time you finish the second part you'll have forgotten the first part so go over that again. Now put it all together. Increase the speed once you are playing smoothly. Play along with the recording until you feel you have it then start playing without the recording. Now you can start playing with some variations and the fun begins.

I find using this method I can learn a tune in an hour or two and once it's stuck in my head it's in there for good.

Everyone learns differently but that is the method that I find works best for me. It's also how I learn tunes when I'm working with my instructor minus the looping bit.