low low b on a high d whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sashagregor
antispam: No

low low b on a high d whistle?

Post by sashagregor »

Hello! I'm sorry for the newbie question, but can anyone tell me how to play a low low b on a high d pennywhistle? I know the fingering for the b which is on the staff (finger 1 hole only), but I can't find a chart online showing fingering for the b note which is below the treble cleff staff. I have a song that needs it. Thank you in advance!
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: low low b on a high d whistle?

Post by plunk111 »

It's not possible to play that note on a D whistle. Your lowest note is the D just below the staff. I think most people take the B that you're talking about up an octave.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yup, your bottom note is your bottom note! On a standard high D whistle that's the 6-finger note D. In staff notation that's the one just below the stave, but it sounds an 8ve higher. Any notes lower than that are not available. To play music including such notes you have to change it. That can be done by simply switching the offending notes themselves up an octave, but that is often musically unsatisfactory: it may be better to switch a whole phrase or even section up, or to write a simple melodic variation or harmony for the relevant passage that stays within the range of your instrument. You should be able to fine plenty of old advice on all this on the forums: try searching on 'octave folding'.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
sashagregor

Post by sashagregor »

Thank you both! I misunderstood the music and those notes were the singing notes, but the playing notes were indeed up one octave. Problem solved. Thank you again!
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Your question has been well answered by other posters. Just out of interest though, on a high D whistle the lowest note [for emergency use only] is Db/C# which is achieved by shading the end of the whistle with the lowest pinkie.

Seated recorder players occasionally play an extra low note by shading the bell end with their leg. The recorder has the advantage over low whistles with this technique as the bell end is quite wide and this allows more control with the pitch.
Denny

Post by Denny »

been done on sax too
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
bramble

Post by bramble »

Ah yes, with the tenor you can either jump in a wardrobe or put your knee over the end.
Depending on the proximity of the wardrobe.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Adrian wrote:[for emergency use only]
Whistle emergency! :lol:

The only person I've actually seen to pull this off in performance is Brian Finnegan. He must have extra long fingers; he also plays low F whistle with standard (not piper's) grip.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:The only person I've actually seen to pull this off in performance is Brian Finnegan. He must have extra long fingers; he also plays low F whistle with standard (not piper's) grip.
I think I've seen Andrea Corr do this on a motorbike, but I was somewhat distracted.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

hoopy mike wrote:I think I've seen Andrea Corr do this on a motorbike, but I was somewhat distracted.
Born again biker? :D :devil:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

English horn players have been known to stick a cardboard tube from toilet roll into the bell to get a lower note - forget which composer wrote a note below the bell note, any cor anglais players reading this and know?
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

In my early fluting days on (student level with C foot) Bohm flute, there were a couple of song accompaniments I played that needed low B, but happily not low C, so I made a little tube out of yoghurt pot plastic that just fitted into the end of the flute's foot snugly, marked it for the right insertion/length and lo, I had a low B instead of a low C. Worked just fine as long as I had time to slip it in/whip it out between numbers. But that wouldn't work too well on a D whistle - too many intervening/missed out notes and likely very weak tone.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTGuru wrote:The only person I've actually seen to pull this off in performance is Brian Finnegan. He must have extra long fingers; he also plays low F whistle with standard (not piper's) grip.
I think I've seen Andrea Corr do this on a motorbike, but I was somewhat distracted.
Well, that's a good excuse for posting an Andrea Corr whistle picture! :wink:

Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Some enterprising whistle maker should make a 7-holed whistle to get the low C (like Paul's D+ model) and then fit a special key for the upper pinkie that partially covers the bottom to give a B.
I wouldn't buy one, but it would be interesting!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Adrian wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:
Well, that's a good excuse for posting an Andrea Corr whistle picture! :wink:

But, but... For Hoopy Mike's sake (not at all interested myself), where's the motorbike?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums