Bamboo Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bigskybri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bamboo Whistle

Post by bigskybri »

I picked up a used bamboo whistle this weekend at a local shop. It was only $4 and plays in tune, so I couldn't pass it up. It's in the key of C and is stamped Japan. The fipple design is a bit different than what I've seen for bamboo whistles on eBay in that the windway is on the underside of the whistle (assuming that the finger holes are the top). Are there other examples of this kind of design around?

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Bamboo Whistle

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, the underside fipple is a standard design for East Asian bamboo whistles of this type that I've seen. It's also seen on Eastern European fipple flutes. I have basically the same whistle as yours. It's now ~50 years old, and a nice player.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Some Bulgarian folk whistles, called Дудук "Duduk", but not to be confused with the double reed instrument from Armenia with the same name:

They are made in various keys, and usually out of some fruit tree wood, like aprikot or plum. They are actually quite comfortable to hold against the mouth, having the windway on the bottom side.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That actually looks like a very nice tourist shop whistle. I have some tourist shop whistles. A relative mailed me one and spent more in postage than it was worth. It plays nice. Your tourist shop whistle is way prettier than mine. I have tourist shops whistles that are completely unplayable and even after years, the paint is still sticky to the touch and smells funny.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Many countries around here produce whistles, and even recorders, with the window underneath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjvDrwnFJ5Y
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

IMO
whistles still linked to pastoral roots
have underside windways which helps
to play in windy landscape.

I often twist my standard Irish whistles heads
so if I am playing by the sea in windy conditions.
It OFTEN helps.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Raggle Taggle

Post by Raggle Taggle »

I often twist my standard Irish whistles heads
so if I am playing by the sea in windy conditions.
It OFTEN helps
Thanks for the tip! I am a new whistler and took a whistle to Mexico while on vacation, hoping to play on the beach. I was puzzled why I could not produce a single note but I figured it had something to do with the ocean breeze.
bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

It is a nice sounding whistle and 1960's was my guess on the age when I bought it (thanks MTGuru for confirming). If I can figure it out, I'll try to post a sound sample of it in the next day or so.

Looks like a new area of collecting to consider. And after I thought I had gotten most of the cheap ones on the market these days. WHOA never ends, does it....
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've got two small whistles from Bali called Suling in my little museum of musical folk instruments. A Suling is a bamboo flute (whistle) which has the fipple blade underneath, and the windway is formed by a band of rattan. Sulings are the only wind instruments used in Gamelan orchestras.
Here is a pic of some big low Sulings, low whistles have been used a long time!
and the link to the page: http://blog.baliwww.com/headline/6863
There is a video of a Suling orchestra playing, which is interesting.
And this page http://mus431.com/431_inst_gamelan.html got a video of a solo Suling performance, where the musician uses circular breezing to keep the tone going.
bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

Wow, I wouldn't have room in my little apartment for one of those monsters.
hans wrote:I've got two small whistles from Bali called Suling in my little museum of musical folk instruments. A Suling is a bamboo flute (whistle) which has the fipple blade underneath, and the windway is formed by a band of rattan. Sulings are the only wind instruments used in Gamelan orchestras.
Here is a pic of some big low Sulings, low whistles have been used a long time!
and the link to the page: http://blog.baliwww.com/headline/6863
There is a video of a Suling orchestra playing, which is interesting.
And this page http://mus431.com/431_inst_gamelan.html got a video of a solo Suling performance, where the musician uses circular breezing to keep the tone going.
bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

Here is a short tune I've been learning, found on The Session, played on the bamboo whistle, complete w/ missed notes.

Gan Ainm
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

bigskybri wrote:Wow, I wouldn't have room in my little apartment for one of those monsters.
And the whistles are pretty big, too. :lol:

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

bigskybri wrote:Here is a short tune I've been learning, found on The Session, played on the bamboo whistle, complete w/ missed notes.
I'm curious, what was your tune source at The Session?

As far as I can tell, the tune is Lovely Nancy as identified in this online ABC collection:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/djfoster/T ... /MESS2.abc

Your setting is in A Mixolydian (G-nat) instead of A Major (G#). And Amix does sound more "correct" for this Scottish-style tune.

It's also related to Prince Charles in Ryan's/Coles:
http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/PRIN_PY ... ES_%5B2%5D

And it seems to be in the same family as The Tripper's, which I posted on The Session a few months ago:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/10491

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

As for the bamboo whistle itself ... Assuming that tune is fingered in A, the whistle is actually somewhere between a Bb and B whistle, not C. But it's hard to tell because it's not in tune with itself (for example, those fingered A's are very flat compared to the other notes). You could try intonating it by sanding some of the holes larger and removing any burrs protruding into the bore, and maybe end up with something close to a B whistle.

bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

It was posted last week, http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/10661. There are a couple guesses for the title in the comments section. I just play 'em and let others worry about keys, titles and other nuances of the tunes (it's posted in Gmaj). With my whistle being in the key of C and playing a little sharp, I could see where it could be a bit difficult figuring the key. Probably why I could never play it in a session setting.

As far as getting the whistle more in tune, I'll try what you suggest, though, unlike the putty tweak which I can undo, I'd worry about sanding too much. Does it matter which holes are sanded?