My Tune-iversary

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lemccullough
antispam: No

My Tune-iversary

Post by lemccullough »

:party: July 3 ... My Tune-iversary!! :party:

Had to ponder it — "My Other Birthday Cake Is Made Out of Chiff (with a Dab of Fresh Fipple Icing)"

http://www.lemccullough.com/LEMcCulloug ... rsary.html

Who else remembers the very first traditional Irish tune they learned and when and where?

Best, L.E. McCullough
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My Tune-iversary

Post by Nanohedron »

That would be Morrisson's.

I first heard it in the late fall / early winter of 1976, I think, on an LP of Medieval-ish Xmas music of the British Isles and Ireland that I had in my home. It was played on a hammer dulcimer - those are Xmas-y sounding - and the track, the only one of its genre, was titled: "Ireland". That's it. Never mind that with a dulcimer the track probably should've been titled "Antrim", that Morrisson's wouldn't be Medieval, that it isn't an Xmas chune, that the compilers might have done better to choose the Wexford Carol (I didn't know any of that), and that the album was titled Christesmas In Anglia (that issue I knew well enough). I always remembered the tune ever after. Never did learn the name of it until about 1993 or so, which was when I finally decided to seriously start learning to play the music.

No, wait. Maybe not Morrisson's, but the Mooncoin Jig, and God only knows when I heard and learned that one. Could've been as early as 1973. It was on a cassette tape, probably on a portable tape deck, that I would have listened to in my car. I think. Oh, heck. I don't remember which came first. One of those two. But Morrisson's stands out the most as The Tune, although I caught them both in whatever order. And do you know, to this day I really don't play The Mooncoin.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

My first was Down by the Sally Gardens. I played it all the time. Someone asked me if that was the only tune I knew. It was. I still think it's very pretty.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Same here as Tucsonwhistler - Down by the Sally Gardens. That would have been December of '06 on my first whistle, a Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog, which I still have.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

The first Irish tune I learned a couple of years ago was the polka, "The Rakes of Mallow." These old, gimpy fingers are still working on it and a few others. Great fun! :)

Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Kerrigan's Jig, (Kesh), learned in 1977 from L.E. McCullough's 'The Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tutor'. Page 26.

Thirty-three years later, I've almost got it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

It was the Irish Washerwoman, which I learned to play on the harmonica I bought when I was 16, and knew because if there was one tune every American kid knew from Ireland back in those days, that was the one.
:party:
Denny

Post by Denny »

it was a favorite 'toon tune. :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Damn. That's right. Al's got it in one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

The very first I learned was Foxhunter's Jig. The first one on whistle must've been The Wise Maid.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

It was Roisin Dubh for me. Then Sally Gardens of of course.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
lemccullough

Post by lemccullough »

Interesting about Sally Gardens being probably a wide choice... I love teaching that tune as a first tune, especially to folks who might not have heard a lot of deep traditional repertoire but can get the concept of basic song phrase structure. And it just sounds good, too.
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

A belated Happy Tune-iversary! :D

Believe it or not, I think Tabhair Dom Do Lamh may indeed be the first one I tried to pick out on the whistle--I was captivated by Planxty's version years and years ago (heard it on the radio, I think maybe even taped it on cassette and might even still have that cassette somewhere).

I've only gotten into whistling this past year, when I purchased a few cheap Clarkes for the kids' homeschool program last fall. The TinWhistler version of Give Me Your Hand really made me want to play it on the whistle. Probably the first thing I ever played on the whistle was a simple tune from the kids' lessons, like Twinkle Twinkle, but I do believe that your birth-tune is the first Irish tune I ever tried to figure out for myself. I still stumble at it, but I've been working it out ever since. (I soon found Ryan Duns' lessons and started with those.)
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

How encouraging to see you were playing a wedding not long after taking it up. :)
lemccullough

Post by lemccullough »

Yes, Mockingbird... and what an unusual wedding it was!

Barry Kern was a great square dance caller and a gifted carpenter. For his bride, Linda Higginbotham (just then starting to learn banjo), he built a 3-story treehouse that somehow had a functioning heating and plumbing system. Seriously. They lived in the woods on a little piece of land a few miles outside Bloomington, Indiana... the ceremony was conducted by Altha J. Cravey, a friend of the bridal couple and avid dancer, who read a poem; Altha is now a major scholar at Univ. of North Carolina I believe and writes books like "Women and Work in Mexico's Maquiladoras" and other topics of gender and immigration. After the poem Miles Krassen and I played two jigs as the wedding song -- Carraroe Jig and Portroe Jig. Then, it being February and a bit chilly in the woods, everyone went inside the cabin and ate and drank to our hearts' content.

Good advice for all!

Best,
L.E. McCullough