Serpent Whistle Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

I can't tell anyone why I'm heating the whistles. It's a process that I'm testing, and I'm not yet 100% certain that it will do what I want it to do. I can tell you that it has no effect whatsoever on the sound of the whistles, unless you try to play one right out of the oven, in which case you'll be the one making the sound! :grin: My new motto may be something like:
Nothin' says lovin'
Like Serpents from the oven!
:wink:

... cryptic? moi? ...

The stuff Stacey sent isn't phenolic. That is usually made with woven fabric, and is the basis for many a printed circuit board I've worked on, not to mention uncountable switches. Stinks like hell when you burn it! This is made with random fiber, and something that vaguely resembles boat resin. Stacey said the name, but I've forgotten it. It stinks pretty bad, too, when it burns, though.

I'm back with ebony on the Village Smithy, because I'm sealing it with a non-allergenic resin now. It looks more VS-ish, too, whatever that means. But the copper and brass whistles will continue to have brass fipples.

On an interesting note - I did mill one fipple with a radius on the windway face. According to both the 'scope and my ear, there is no discernable difference in the sound of the whistle! I'm using it for one of my Christmas carols on the chat CD. See if you can hear anything special (once you get past the amateurish playing, that is!)

Cheers-ski, :grin:
Serp
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-11-22 23:54, serpent wrote:
I can't tell anyone why I'm heating the whistles. I can tell you that it has no effect whatsoever on the sound of the whistles

... cryptic? moi? ...
Interesting tweak Bill.:roll: Mike

Post by Guest »

:grin: My new motto may be something like:
Nothin' says lovin'
Like Serpents from the oven!
:wink:

... cryptic? moi? ...

The stuff Stacey sent isn't phenolic. That is usually made with woven fabric, and is the basis for many a printed circuit board I've worked on, not to mention uncountable switches. Stinks like hell when you burn it! This is made with random fiber, and something that vaguely resembles boat resin. Stacey said the name, but I've forgotten it. It stinks pretty bad, too, when it burns, though.

Cheers-ski, :grin:
Serp
Its name is TUFNOL.
And if yer smelling it burning, yer pootie has gone POOFF.
The stace
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-23 02:06, mike.r wrote:
I can't tell anyone why I'm heating the whistles. I can tell you that it has no effect whatsoever on the sound of the whistles

... cryptic? moi? ...
Interesting tweak Bill.:roll: Mike
Shoot! You timid Tillies who just won't put up your email addy! Now you've gone and done it, Mike.r!! :smile: No, actually, now I've gone and done it! The process works, and I'll tell you all about it.

Pretty simple, actually. Those of you who've noticed the engraving on my whistles might've wondered what it'd look like in colour. I did, too, so now, on some of 'em, I'm doing fired-on enamel. That's glass, not paint. And I'm not skiving off of Sandy Jasper (Elfsong), if anyone thinks that - I discussed this with her before I ever decided to go with it, and had she had any objection, I would not be doing it. What I'm colouring, is the leaves and flowers, maybe some of the little bugs and butterflies, perhaps a blade of grass. That process requires firing at around 1300F, and if the colour goes up around the head, either I have to do it with the fipple out (if it is flammable), or the fipple and it's fastenings have to be able to handle the heat. Brass, silver-brazed in, works.

I will have pictures on the site as soon as I do some actual whistles that way, prolly in a couple of weeks.

... and now you know! :grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Sounds nice, Bill, but pretty enamel won't make up for other areas of sub-par finishing, nor will it make the whistle play better. Priorities! Hee.

Jessie
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

I agree . . . sounds like an awful lot of work for some prettifying. The last thing you'd want to spend a lot of money on is a really expensive fancy-looking thing that sits beautifully on your shelf and never gets played--either because it doesn't play well or because you're afraid of hurting it (or both).
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-11-23 14:54, Michael Sullivan wrote:
I agree . . . sounds like an awful lot of work for some prettifying. The last thing you'd want to spend a lot of money on is a really expensive fancy-looking thing that sits beautifully on your shelf and never gets played--either because it doesn't play well or because you're afraid of hurting it (or both).
Hey, let's have a little faith that Bill will get all the bugs worked out and that his whistles will sound great. He seems very dedicated, to me, and I don't think he'll stop improving until he gets everything right.
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

Sorry, no lack of faith was meant. All I meant was that I would rather hear that a new version of a whistle sounded better than that it had a fancier logo.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Bill,everyone has a private message box.I have my reasons for not displaying my Email adress and they are personal.I agree with Jessie's above post and confess to being puzzled by your rejection of a delrin fipple plug.Just goes to show,you can lead a serpent to water,but you cant make it drink.:wink:
Jessie, your review was excellent!:) Mike
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Looks and sounds to me like Bill has come a long way in a very short time. Kudos to him. And while I'm handing out kudos, this was a mighty civilized discourse on a potentially volatile subject, folks!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
serpent

Post by serpent »

Jessie! Michael! Mike.R! No offense meant to anyone. Mike, I know about the private message thingie, but they're sometimes overlooked - by me, too, or I'd have sent you one! :grin: Anyhow, I was just wanting to explain why I posted the answer to the thread. Nothing personal - I know that a lot of people don't have their email addy exposed, and hey, it's a matter of choice that I respect!

Jessie, remember that what you got to play with was an early (_very_ early) prototype, not a prime-time production item. Your notes regarding finish are well done, and I have improved on the prod finish even more as a result of those notes. That said, my main thrust in such an early release, was mostly to get the perceptions of aspects of play, from good players, which I am not, and to make improvements to playability based on those perceptions. Both you and Tyghress, as I have noted before, mentioned the amount of air taken to play, and that has been dramatically reduced. The over-all design was an issue, too. I was concerned about the placement of things to make playing easy, and again, you both came through and told me things I needed to know. That said, when and if you decide you'd like a production whistle, I do believe that you will find no flaws in the finish, short of using a healthy magnifier! :smile:

The colours are an optional part of the artwork, nothing more. They are not standard on the whistles, and of course, they have nothing to do with playability. They are decoration, only, and have only that as their sole purpose. If a customer doesn't specifically order the enamel, the whistle will not have it. In that sense, the whistle becomes a bit of jewelry, too. I can't find a reason to fault anyone for buying something just because it's pretty. If that were de rigeur, clothing designers and jewellers would rapidly find themselves out of business! :smile:

Much of the new whistles' manufacture has been improved upon by machinery, to the extent that I now have much more time to devote to finish, and also to new ideas. Mixed metals are most likely the next embellishment to try, and I'm excited about it! Probably some copper and/or stainless applique', maybe even some sterling. Maybe even some set stones.

However much I may admire and emulate small aspects of their work, I'm not Michael Copeland, Sandy Jasper, Paul Busman, nor do I aspire to be. My whistles will stand or fall on their own merits; not how much like, or unlike, someone else's whistles they are.

And although the comparisons will inevitably be there, I think that if mine are well-executed, pretty, and play well, people will like 'em and buy them based on one or more of those merits. It's all I can ask.

Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Go ahead, Bill!

Make them sound good, as should be granted. But do make them look good, make them unmistakably yours. They are enough good-sounding whistles around with a Soviet militaro-industrial uniform, or 1950's Danish design.
If you think you can make jewelry that can play well, go your way. If you aim high, do shoot for the moon. Per ardua ad astra.

"Only dead fish goes with the stream".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-11-24 04:17 ]</font>

Post by Guest »

Thats true! Bill if yer an't kicking yer dead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One small point, I feel that who ever recives a whistle for review,should put it up for sale, and give the cash to the hunger
site!
:sad:
Stace
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-11-24 06:03, wizzy wrote:
Thats true! Bill if yer an't kicking yer dead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One small point, I feel that who ever recives a whistle for review,should put it up for sale, and give the cash to the hunger
site!
Stace
A person who takes time to review a whistle at the makers request should have the freedom to do as he or she pleases with it.I dont recall any such request made to the fortunate recipient of your recent whistle give-away. Mike
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2002-11-24 06:03, wizzy wrote:
site!
Stace
For the record, Bill solicited my review and included return postage in the package. After I reviewed the whistle, I packed it up and sent it back to him. He offered me a production whistle at no cost and I have not taken him up on his offer.

~Jessie