Suggestions for beginners books?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
barf
antispam: No

Suggestions for beginners books?

Post by barf »

Hi all

Im looking for peoples suggestions as to good self-teaching materials, books etc, for whistle playing?

Im trying my best to learn, but i freely admit to being a lousy musician! My trouble is timing, i cant keep a beat!

I have a whistle, an 'Ellis Classic', with which i can make pleasing if amateurish noises :)

any suggestions greatfully received

Martin
Hotblack

Re: Suggestions for beginners books?

Post by Hotblack »

I'm using Grey Larson's The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox which I'm finding very useful. It comes with a CD packed with exercises to practice.

I'd suggest getting a metronome as well. Really useful for getting the timing even.

I'm sure others will come along and suggest other titles.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Books are good, but listening is good too.

There are some excellent learning resources on the web - I don't have links to them, but others will post them. Google for Ryan Dunns, for example. He has some excellent teaching videos on YouTube.

Welcome, and get ready for more advice than you though possible. :D
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
barf

Post by barf »

Thanks, i'll take a look at those suggestions,

I tend to like these video clip courses, so i can see whats being done.
Hotblack wrote: I'd suggest getting a metronome as well. Really useful for getting the timing even.
The electronic tuner i use to tune my sons guitar has a metronome function, i'll try that out

Im the only non musical person in the house! My wife plays piano and, er, some wind thing like a big recorder :-? cant remember what its called, and my little lad plays guitar and harmonica (my harmonica, that i cant play :x ) Im having another crack at it!
Mason

Post by Mason »

Although this is not a book, I was directed toward Ryan Duns' YouTube Tin Whistle Lessons (linked below, mentioned above). There are around 9(?) with some supplemental videos along the way. I have tried several different tutorials, and these have been by far the most helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RyanDunsSJ
barf

Post by barf »

thanks for the link, i cant view it at the moment, but i'll take a look later when i get home

The wife says if i can learn to play a reasonable tune on it she'll get me an adjustable one! I thought she meant tuning, but she was looking on the makers website and i think now she means the volume control :D

Mind you, looking on Ellis' website at them, one like that might let me practice without the embarrasment of my 6 year old showing me up!
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I agree on Ryan Duns' YouTube videos for getting started. They're very helpful.

If you want an actual book, I'd recommend the Bill Ochs book. I have both this one and Grey Larsen's big book. Personally, I think the Bill Ochs book is better for getting started. It's much simpler, and very clearly written. Grey's book is great if/when you really want to delve into every possible minute detail imaginable.

If you're looking for a whistle with a volume control, check out the Parks' Every Whistle. There are lots of reviews here. I have one and it's one of my favorite whistles.

Jason
Bill Hennessy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bill Hennessy »

I found Bill Ochs tinwhistle tutor very helpful. It also comes with a CD and a lot of tunes. And it's not too expensive, if that matters.

Welcome, by the way!
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Jason Paul wrote:If you're looking for a whistle with a volume control, check out the Parks' Every Whistle. There are lots of reviews here. I have one and it's one of my favorite whistles.

Jason

Ditto.

It's cheaper than the Ellis as well (if budget is a consideration).
Cheers

David

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Jason Paul wrote: If you want an actual book, I'd recommend the Bill Ochs book. I have both this one and Grey Larsen's big book. Personally, I think the Bill Ochs book is better for getting started. It's much simpler, and very clearly written. Grey's book is great if/when you really want to delve into every possible minute detail imaginable.
I have a copy of Bill Ochs' whistle tutor you can have for the cost of postage*. Where are you? It's the one I learned on, years ago, and it's so old that the cassette it came with was in C. I'm willing to mail the book, but it makes more sense to rip the cassette to mp3 than mail that part. Once recorded it'd be no more than a few seconds' more work to shift it into D, if that's the whistle you have, so don't fret about the key.

*Or for free if it's negligible from Canada.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Take it from a collector of books for the purpose of learning something new...Books won't help that much when it comes to fixing your problem. Hearing the tune in your head will have to come first, the book then tells you where to stick your fingers to make it come out of your head and into the whistle. Not knowing the tune is the biggest hindrence, to learning. It's not impossible to learn while not knowing the tune, just real slow. I say all this only because it sounds like you have the same issues I had when I first started. I hope it is of some help. The best book to get, is the one that has the most tunes in it that you recognise.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Mick Down Under wrote:. Hearing the tune in your head will have to come first, the book then tells you where to stick your fingers to make it come out of your head and into the whistle. Not knowing the tune is the biggest hindrence, to learning. It's not impossible to learn while not knowing the tune, just real slow. I say all this only because it sounds like you have the same issues I had when I first started. I hope it is of some help. The best book to get, is the one that has the most tunes in it that you recognise.
Mick

Indeed. As well as the Larson book for basic learning I have L.E. McCullough's The Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tunebook. 125 session tunes with 4 cds, each tune played slow (for learning) and at full speed (for practice). I use this in conjunction with YouTube and Spotify to watch and listen to other interpretations etc. TheSession.org can be quite useful if used sensibly to pick up the very basic skeleton of a tune and using Spotify etc to hear the way a tune should be played.

Going to the local session is really useful too, playing with other players and picking up new tunes. I'm lucky that there's plenty of sesions to choose from around here, from straight on playing to one that's good for introducing and practicing new tunes in an almost 'workshop' style environment.
Cheers

David

tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Debbie Wilkinson's site is a great video tutorial:

http://www.tinwhistletutorials.com/index.asp

I would recommend Grey Larson's books and LE McCullogh's classic tutorial books is great. I have learned alot from it.

Father Dun's Video lessons are great too.

Good luck.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
riverman

Post by riverman »

Hotblack wrote:I'm using Grey Larson's The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox which I'm finding very useful. It comes with a CD packed with exercises to practice.

I'd suggest getting a metronome as well. Really useful for getting the timing even.

I'm sure others will come along and suggest other titles.
Hear! Hear! :) The Grey Larson book was a GREAT help to me, and it came with CDs to check your sound.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

I'll just pipe up again and, at risk of not sounding seriously interested in my music, I must admit to having a lot (read near bloody impossible) trouble bringing myself to listen to those CD's that come with music books, more than once. I much rather listen to the tune played in a normal musical setting i.e Celtic circle, disc One, track Thirteen, 'She moved through the fair'. And just for a comparison I might listen to, The Irish Folk collection, disc Two, track Eleven...You guessed it, 'She moved through the fair'. I listen to music on an MP3 player (not just the afore mentioned track either) while I'm at work, so that way I'm in control of what I listen to, and not some radio presenter.
Those tutorial CD's just end up boring me to tears. They are good for getting to know what a technique or a note should sound like, but for learning tunes there is nothing like having it running around in your head looking for a way to escape, thus forcing the fingers to learn to tap it out on a whistle. Again, this is just my way of learning, it might not suit anyone else but it does the job for me.
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!