Northern Hemisphere Newbie End of Winter Quiz

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Northern Hemisphere Newbie End of Winter Quiz

Post by mutepointe »

Now that spring is coming and playing somewhere besides sealed up inside your home will be an option.....
1. Will you be playing
a. outside
b. in hearing distance of people
c. in sight of people
d. still sealed up inside your home.
2. Which ITM songs do you have down pat?
3. Which non-ITM songs do you have down pat? People not familiar with ITM are going to want to hear a song they know and recognize.
4. What are you going to say when people ask if that's a recorder?
5. How much money do you plan to make?
6. Do you have liability insurance when your playing severely injures or causes death?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Northern Hemisphere Newbie End of Winter Quiz

Post by DrPhill »

1) a, b, c and d. But not all at once.
2) Pat is my fiancees sons father-in-law. We dont see him often enough to learn tunes from him. He is irish though.
3) see above.
4) "Yes". I figure they are ignorant, and dont need to know, or are trying to get a rise and dont deserve one. If they seem genuine I might take the time to explain, but since I play a tapered wooden whistle I am going to have to draw some fine lines.... the most obvious difference is that a recorder has more notes? That makes a recorder sound less limited....... Besides they are both end-blown fipple flutes, so most folks will not care about the difference.
5) I plan to lose money
6) Nope
7) I will develop a sense of humour and an ability to count.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
walrii

Post by walrii »

1. All of the above.
2. Pat and Dave are good friends; Pat plays piano at our weekly social gathering and I join in on recorder and/or whistle. The only ITM tune I've gotten "down Pat" is "Molly Malone."
3. Quite a few: Beatles, Broadway, movie themes, etc. Pat is in her 70's so the list runs towards stuff from the 50's and 60's.
4. Pull out the recorder and say, "No, THIS is a recorder. THIS is a whistle. Get it straight, once and for all."
5. Are you out of your mind?
6. Only for loss of hearing.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Now that spring is coming and playing somewhere besides sealed up inside your home will be an option.....
1. Will you be playing
a. outside Possibly
b. in hearing distance of people You must be joking
c. in sight of people See b
d. still sealed up inside your home. More than likely
2. Which ITM songs do you have down pat? I don't know Pat but I'm ok at Si Bheag Si Mhor and Inisheer
3. Which non-ITM songs do you have down pat? People not familiar with ITM are going to want to hear a song they know and recognize. Umm! Nothing anybody would know who wasn't familiar with trad folk to start with
4. What are you going to say when people ask if that's a recorder? See above. I'm going to be out of range of anybody chancing across seeing/hearing me
5. How much money do you plan to make? ROTFLMAO
6. Do you have liability insurance when your playing severely injures or causes death? Shouldn't need it. See Q 1 and 4 for more details

:D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Here we go, Mutepointe...
I will be playing outside at every opportunity, as I am in the country and live on the banks of the Eel River.
I will be within hearing of people who live along the river. Sometimes I play in town and the ones in town might see me. Since a large percentage of men hate whistle, this is not necessarily a good thing. Strangely, I've never seen a woman who doesn't like the sound.
After years of playing, I have about ten jigs down pat, a reel and a couple of polkas. Plenty of airs. I don't work hard at anything on whistle excepting enjoying it.
I also play a few well-known hymns, plenty of worship choruses, and, of course, the theme for The Lord of the Rings. About 55 songs/tunes by memory.
If people ask if it's a recorder, I'll explain the difference. I've given up trying to keep people from calling it "your little flute."
I made a few pennies whistling once when friends dropped them into a plastic cup...
I have decided to face the dangerous world of whistling without insurance (although I have, strangely, added "severe injury to fingers" to my list of "possible tragedies that could occur to me)!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

mutepointe wrote:Now that spring is coming and playing somewhere besides sealed up inside your home will be an option.....
1. Will you be playing
a. outside Yes
b. in hearing distance of people Yes
c. in sight of people Yes
2. Which ITM songs do you have down pat? Quite a few , and some English ones too. Enough to play in a session.
3. Which non-ITM songs do you have down pat? People not familiar with ITM are going to want to hear a song they know and recognize. I can play a Tune from Mario Bros 3 which is tricky as I have to half hole but it's amazing the effect it has on kids. The guys in the session looked a bit blank though.
4. What are you going to say when people ask if that's a recorder? No, it's a whistle
5. How much money do you plan to make? From whistling? Nothing (that would be fraud)
6. Do you have liability insurance when your playing severely injures or causes death? You are a persuasive salesman.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Spring?? That is far into the future. But at midsummer's eve I might play outside, within hearing range of other people, if it can be guaranteed that everyone present is too intoxicated to remember anything of it on midsummer's day. If I do, I will play Inisheer and Heckla Henriks låt. Listening will be at own risk.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

mutepointe wrote:Now that spring is coming and playing somewhere besides sealed up inside your home will be an option.....
1. Will you be playing
a. outside
b. in hearing distance of people
c. in sight of people
2. Which ITM songs do you have down pat?
3. Which non-ITM songs do you have down pat? People not familiar with ITM are going to want to hear a song they know and recognize.
4. What are you going to say when people ask if that's a recorder?
5. How much money do you plan to make?
6. Do you have liability insurance when your playing severely injures or causes death?
1. Outside, as much as possible. I love playing my low G on the front porch, and the dog doesn't seem to mind. He's just glad to have me around again.
2. I don't know many ITM songs. Lots of tunes, but not too many songs. It's the accent--just can't get it to work.
3. Lots of kids songs, church music, and random arias.
4. I will tell them, gently and kindly, that they are :swear: WRONG!! :tantrum:
5. None. I'm doing some recording this spring, but I'm going to donate any profits, assuming there are any. Live gigs usually pay for gas and some chow. Anything beyond that is fun money.
6. No. As long as I stay off the Whistle of Mass Destruction (gen high G), it shouldn't be an issue.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.