T Dixon Alto G

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ian Parfitt
antispam: No

T Dixon Alto G

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Good day all

I am new to the forum and to whistle playing ( 9 Months) after struggling with a Recorder for 2 years. I play regularly at my local hostalery and at various folk clubs ( Somerset U.K). Turned first to Recorder and then to whistles due to sore lips after long session playing harmonicas.

I own various whistles, Clarks Sweetone High D. Generation High G, Waltons C (Favourite at the moment, very respionsive and a clear tone little chiff and bends well), A Dixon low D, nice tone, quiet to medium sound, good response and length of breath but I find on occasions the fingering becomes difficult.

I have just received a Dixon Tuneable Alto G, 'wow' , easy fingering, beautiful tone, amazing breath length, able to play jigs and reels that were almost impossible on other whistles apart from the Walton, quiet loud, will use at a session next Sunday. Any one out there own one of these and if so what do you think?

Keep on blowing.

Ian
tin-titan

Re: T Dixon Alto G

Post by tin-titan »

Dear Mr. Ian, I too find the three Dixons I own exquisite. I must insist though that you repent your clubbing honky tonk ways and play ecclessiastical music on the whistle at your nearest house of worship. I just acquire a Dixon dx203, heavy thick walled whistle. It plays very nice. I find it a bit hard to hold when I am playing C# for instance. Gracefulness is not one of my stronger suits.

Well keep whistling down and toot towards the heavens.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Ian Parfitt wrote:Any one out there own one of these and if so what do you think?
I carried a set of Dixon polymers in my briefcase to work for a few years. That included the high D and C as well as the Bb, A, G and a low D. A Dixon three piece polymer flute went along as well. I used these for practice at lunchtime. They also went backpacking a few times being very lightweight. I thought they represented good value and played just fine. The sound of each was quite nice. I've owned more than a dozen Dixon whistles. The G whistle was my favorite. After I retired I sold most them off (along with forty or so other whistles).

Enjoy!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

The DX203 is also a very very good self defense whistle. It can double as an effective truncheon if you are attacked by a mugger or crazed software developer. They really are nice instruments for the money. The show very good engineering and quality control.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benbrad »

Ian, which model Alto G do you have? The Tony Dixon website shows a DX107 with aluminum body and a DX007 all polymer. Does it require pipers grip? Have you played the Alto A and if so does it require the pipers grip? I am on the lookout for an affordable low A or G whistle to play in church. Most of the low whistles I am farmaliar with are either too expensive for me or they don't sound good because they are too cheap. There must be a delicate balance between too cheap so it sounds cheap or sounds great but can't spend that much on a whistle. Under $100.00 would be great. Thanks for your help.
Ben
markbell

Post by markbell »

That's kind of serendipitous, I have just been thinking about getting a mezzo G whistle. I'll take another look at the Dixon.
sibilo ergo sum
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is a recording I did on the plastic Dixon two piece G whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7pkMc_jLLk
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi Benbrad

I have the DX107G Tuneable Alloy Body. I use a modified pipers grip as this is more comfortable than the normal whistle grip, the holes are as far apart as my Dixon Low D.

I understand that Susato make a good non tuneable Low D for $89.90 US, model number DPW115-LK1. I would think that other forum members would know how good or not this whistle is.

For my penance I shall repair to the music room to play Vivaldi vespers. By the way I am recording a CD the coming weekend, only for friends and family members.

Toot well.

Ian
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benbrad »

Thanks very much for the info.
Ben