WTT #13 - Alternative Materials

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

Whistle Tech Talk
Okay, getting the thirteenth WTT out of the way! I'm thinking of doing an article on How to Make A Low-D Whistle from Empty Toilet Rolls and Duct Tape! Thoughts?
Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

What about reclaimed kevlar fiber toxic resin overflow from the boating industry? Just tink (no typo) indestructable instruments from resources costing nearly nothing.
serpent

Post by serpent »

... And they FLOAT!!! (and, possibly, glow...)

:grin:
Bill Whedon
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Fax paper rolls core. Incredibly strong material. Length should suffice up to high Bb if tuneable, D if not.

Side advantage : would make a high-end craftsman whistle look cheaper than an old beaten tin ding, solving the debate on whether high end is traditionnally korrect. :wink:

Seriously, carboard roll cores may be a neglected material.
_______
BflatMW
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-11-12 10:32, Tony wrote:
What about reclaimed kevlar fiber toxic resin overflow from the boating industry? Just tink (no typo) indestructable instruments from resources costing nearly nothing.
Or recycled plumbing tubing, cheap in Tchernobyl ?
With old syringes, you'd have half the job readily done for great kids' Laughing Whistles. Give it a shot!
I also heard they have piles of brass howitzer shell-cases in Iraq, and expecting a new delivery from the same supplier.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-11-12 10:58 ]</font>
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

Chocolate-flavored jerky gets my vote. Or salted and peppered cured chocolate. Either way I'll order a dozen.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Your chocolate-flavoured jerky whistles are ready at the pick-up desk, just beside the Retching Room. :wink:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
drewcifer

Post by drewcifer »

A friend and I have been toying with the idea of trying to make a whistle from synthetic sapphire tubeing that you can buy from optics catalogs.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-13 20:59, drewcifer wrote:
A friend and I have been toying with the idea of trying to make a whistle from synthetic sapphire tubeing that you can buy from optics catalogs.

Fine. Just be sure you keep 'em out of bright sunlight, and above all, don't take 'em to sessions where there's any possibility of people with flash cameras! I can see the Announcement:
<center><font size=+2>O'Leary's Pub Events</font>

In this pub, on February 18, 2003, drewcifer and friends discovered a new scientic advancement in laser-based whistle technology. They are also responsible for the holes burned through the next pub over, and the untimely demise of 30-odd patrons. A reception will be held at the local remand house.</center>

Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-13 20:59, drewcifer wrote:
Another Random Thought from the Serpent: Good supply of diamond drills at Harbor Freight! You'll need a few!
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-11-14 08:24, serpent wrote:
(...) holes burned through the next pub over, and the untimely demise of 30-odd patrons. A reception will be held at the local remand house.
:lol:
After this Bombing Sapphire Shot session being mentioned as Ruby Tuesday by a Pakistanese by-stander, authorities investigate a possible link between Al-Qaida and two mysterious Irish sympathizers' groupuscules naming themselves True Believers and/or Crystal People.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Zoob, you da man! That one I cannot top!
:grin:
Serp
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

From the dreams of the wood be whistler ...

<b>Exotic Whistles</b>
  • Emperor's Whistle - Jade mouth piece and white gold barrel.
  • Campers's Low-d - 440 Stainless Steel. (doubles as tent post, poacher deterent, grizzly tickler).
  • Roll-up Whistle - Standard brass mouth piece with barrel made of thin 'memory' metal. Barrel flattens and rolls up; unrolls and springs back into tube shape.
  • The Black Bird - Spun carbon mouth piece and titanium barrel.
  • Sweet Whistle - (a.k.a penny candy whistle) hard chocolat toffee mouth piece, and rock sugar barrel.
  • Clear Whistle - hand blown and formed glass mouth piece fused to class tubing.
  • Light Whistle - PVC type whistle except plastic died with Glow-in-the-dark paints.
  • Night whistle - a LBW (Little Black Whistle) that has been coated on the outside with clear glow-in-the-dark 'invisible' paint
No matter what it's made of toot it to ...

P.S. Re: the Night Whistle - I actually have been planning to do this with an extra Dixon Whistle - black whistle under normal lights or stage light; then glowing white or pale green in the dark. It would also look normal played around the pub table but would be easy to find when the bodhran player knocks it off the table and kicks it under a bench.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-11-14 12:14 ]</font>
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

On 2002-11-14 08:26, serpent wrote:
Good supply of diamond drills at Harbor Freight!
Bill, I always thought you were a Harbor Freight kinda guy.

On the materials front, I've wondered what the difference in sound was between your chrome molly whistles and your whistles of a more traditional material.

I've tinkered with the idea of laminating a fiberglass/wood veneer sandwich around a tapered mold to create conical bore whistle bodies. It would be pretty, rugged and quick to do. Epoxy is my special friend.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-14 12:45, vaporlock wrote:
On 2002-11-14 08:26, serpent wrote:
Good supply of diamond drills at Harbor Freight!
Bill, I always thought you were a Harbor Freight kinda guy.

On the materials front, I've wondered what the difference in sound was between your chrome molly whistles and your whistles of a more traditional material.

I've tinkered with the idea of laminating a fiberglass/wood veneer sandwich around a tapered mold to create conical bore whistle bodies. It would be pretty, rugged and quick to do. Epoxy is my special friend.
The only difference I get in overtones and resonance is between a polished barrel interior and an unpolished or otherwise perturbed one. The actual metal seems to make zero difference. That is a quantitative analysis using instrumentation. I know several people who think they can tell the difference by listening. I'm inclined to disbelief. Do you think we should propose a study at a major university? Can we get government funding for this, or perhaps an industry grant? If it's sponsored by government, I can supply 1000 whistles at only $15,000.00 each (plus S&H, FOB Kansas City), and would only charge my standard consultant's fee of $200,000.00/month (after taxes, guaranteed 6 month minimum), for which I would give them the same sort of valuable, if a bit useless, insights I just gave Loren on the "wooden D whistle" thread! :grin:

Cheers,
Bill Whedon

(edit) P.S. Yay, Harbor Freight! You go, HF! Where else could I buy a full set of very good end mills for the price of two?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: serpent on 2002-11-14 14:10 ]</font>