Wooden Low D whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Who makes 'em?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

(Monty Python Mode on)

Why them that makes the wooden whistles of course!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Ya?
I'll have to start checking. I've got some renewed (is that a word?) interest.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

Stick a Clarke head on a dijeridu (duct tape works well for this), hack out a few holes, ... voila! Wooden low-(low-low)-D :grin:

Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Swayne, Grinter, Bleazy...who am I forgetting? Probably a few, but hey, it's early yet.

Grinter is your best bet. Swayne's Low D's are supposed to be fabulous - if you have 5 or 10 years to wait for one.

Loren
serpent

Post by serpent »

But, Seriously, Folks ...
The method used for making a PVC low-D should work equally well on one of them wooden tubes folks've been on about here. You can buy the tubes for not a whole lot of money, so it's possible to experiment. Maybe one of the folks who already do wood whistles, like Paul Busman, might be willing to take on such a project. Frankly, it intrigues me, but at the mo, I'm up to my arse in brarse (and copper, and chromoly), with little time to even scratch it! :smile: Hey, Paul! Quit piddlin' around with them little splinters and grab onto a BIG hunka wood fer this guy! :grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-12 08:49, Loren wrote:
Swayne, Grinter, Bleazy...who am I forgetting? Probably a few, but hey, it's early yet.

Grinter is your best bet. Swayne's Low D's are supposed to be fabulous - if you have 5 or 10 years to wait for one.

Loren
Oh, sure, Loren - come right on in with some real information, why don'cha?! :smile: Just for that, I'm thinking of starting a new thread WWWWTTTT (Wunnerful Whippy Wooden Whistle Terrific Tech Talk Thread), and loosing it on the world! (echoes of evil laughter, receding....)

Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
serpent

Post by serpent »

Loren, there is a private message for you.
BW
Tony

Post by Tony »

Loren, I didn't see any low D whistles on Grinters website, but a keyless Grinter flute in blackwood is over $1,000. The Bleazey Low D is about $440 plus freight... more of what I had in mind.

Serpent... are you placing an order for that plywood tubing today?
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Tony, there was a thread on Bleazey low whistles a short time ago. Check it out.

Cheers,
Jens
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-11-12 09:16, Tony wrote:
Loren, I didn't see any low D whistles on Grinters website, but a keyless Grinter flute in blackwood is over $1,000. The Bleazey Low D is about $440 plus freight... more of what I had in mind.
Grinter still doesn't have anything on whistles on his website. I've emailed him twice asking the price of a low-D, but haven't heard back. The high-D is US$240, so the low-D is probably in the ballpark of the Bleazey.

For a guy who seems to make whistles as a break from flute- and recorder-making, Michael really does a wonderful job. I have had a high-D for a few weeks now, and it's absolutely remarkable.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Jens, thanks for the reminder. I did a search and there is much previous discussion.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-12 09:16, Tony wrote:

Serpent... are you placing an order for that plywood tubing today?
Tony, much though I'm intrigued at the idea, it's not in the cards for me for quite some time. My wood lathe still has a partially-turned billet of mulberry hanging in outer space, where I'd begun making a wooden high-D, just for giggles. The shop is presently dedicated to brass and shavings from same, while I get the BS whistle (Now, that's funny! I think I like that! :smile: ) production up to speed. Tellya what - send me several hundred dollars now, and if I don't forget, I'll send you a wooden (low Eb, was it...?) in two or three years. There will also be a small planning charge, plus warehousing on the lumber (annual), but eventually, you may well get your (wood? Bakelite? Lexan?) low C# or whatever. :grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: serpent on 2002-11-12 10:17 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Michael hasn't updated his site in years. Why? Because he doesn't have to. Michael is so busy right now, and his flutes are in such high demand, with Crawford, McGoldrick, Barou, Veillon and Finnegan playing them, that I think he website is just not very high on his list of priorities.
Is that a good thing for we common folk? No, almost assuredly not, but in comparison, Patrick Olwell doesn't even have a website, nor a public e-mail adress, for exactly the same reason.... he just does not need any more business.
As for Michael's whistles.... they are quite expensive and I think the wait is at least 6 months, depending what he's doing. The wait for his flutes, last time I talked to him, was about 18 months, though I'd add a few months to that for good measure.
Personally, I love both his flutes and whistles (I own a flute but no whistles), but I think the wood on the whistles is too thin (not from a sonic standpoint, but it's just too delicate).
Best,
Chris
nickt

Post by nickt »

You can add Peter Merbeth of Brittany to the list; he charges Euro450+ and an 18-month wait.

I did a big research on this a few months ago and settled on Grinter as the one (he has many of the big names as clients, so a lot agree). I took delivery of a cocobolo low D 2-3 months ago and it is simply the best-sounding low D I've ever played. The tragedy is that current financial pressure may force a sale - I'm hoping not to sell too many whistles, but the Grinter would probably be the first as it's the newest.