American fiddle tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

American fiddle tunes

Post by R Small »

As a newbie on penny whistle I'm focusing on learning the classic Irish traditional tunes such as Drowsy Maggie, Rakish Paddy, Mrs. McLeods, Kid On the Mountain, Wicklow Hornpipe, etc., etc. But as a former fiddle player I enjoy playing (on the whistle) the classic American (Appalachian, Southwestern, New England) fiddle tunes such as Arkansas Traveler, Forked Deer, Katy Hill, Staten Island, Sally Goodin, etc., etc. I'm curious whether other whistle players that visit this site like to play tunes that are outside the ITM canon. American fiddle tunes would seem to be a gold mine for penny whistle.
Last edited by R Small on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blazer

Re: American fiddle tunes

Post by Blazer »

I too am new to the tin whistle... only since mid November and am struggling to find a good list of "the classics" in ITM. However, I also like some of the American traditional tunes. I am plahing only high D whisltles at this time. Where can I find some of these tunes in the Key of D or related keys?
walrii

Post by walrii »

With no Irish sessions within 100 miles, I'm playing with a bluegrass/gospel/country session that meets nearby. The whistle fits in just fine with that music. In fact, they were tickled to have me as I'm the only wind instrument in the group. I can play about 3/4 of the tunes on a D whistle as most of the tunes are G or D. I've gotten some sheet music by searching the web but most of the tunes are easy to learn by ear.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Most of the tunes I play are highland pipe tunes that can be played without too much difficulty.

But I'm also learning some Irish tunes. I have a friend who plays harp and he plays a bunch of Irish tunes. I'm trying to learn authentic Irish styling as well.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

I guess I'm looking at this more or less backwards -- having played nothing but Irish trad in recent years, I'm trying to build more of an Appalachian / Irish cross-over repertoire, so I can join some co-workers in the local bluegrass jams that happen in the area....

I think Ms. McLeod's is very similar to (maybe the same as?) the Appalachian tune, "Did you ever meet the devil, Uncle Joe?" Except maybe the A/B parts are switched?

"Midnight on the Water" always sounded more Appalachian than Irish to me, but, I've only ever heard it played at Irish sessions.

My Love is in America works well as a bluegrassy fiddle tune (see Adrienne Young's first cd).

Come to think of it, "Big Sciota" (which I've only ever heard in bluegrass circles) would probably fit well in an Irish set. (It's on the excellent cd, "Skip, Hop and Wobble.")

There must be tons of Irish reels that would work just as well in bluegrass circles. Earl's Chair would probably work well, off the top of my head.
littleblue

Post by littleblue »

Blazer wrote:Where can I find some of these tunes in the Key of D or related keys?
I know Waltons sells an American Penny whistle set with a book. I'm sure there's only a couple of songs in it, and I don't know what they are, but it might be helpful as a start.
R Small

Post by R Small »

There are alot of tunes that seem to be popular with both ITM and Appalachian/bluegrass players. A few that come to mind are the Little Beggarman, Devil's Dream , Soldier's Joy, Temperance Reel, various hornpipes such as Fisher's, Rickett's, Durang's, etc. where the American versions are identical to the original Irish versions (except for maybe the use of ornaments). And many homegrown American tunes seem to be directly descended from Irish music. Salt Creek, June Apple, Old Joe Clark, and Dusty Miller come to mind. Tunes with a chordal change of G to F or A to G.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

MusicalADD wrote:I guess I'm looking at this more or less backwards -- having played nothing but Irish trad in recent years, I'm trying to build more of an Appalachian / Irish cross-over repertoire, so I can join some co-workers in the local bluegrass jams that happen in the area....

Go to one with a recorder. Go to the second one with some tunes. What's the question?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I came from a clawhammer banjo background, so I've dabbled with it some. The genres really do have a lot in common, with a lot of crossover tunes. The biggest difference I see is that while ITM has more tunes in G than in A, American old-time seems to have more tunes in A than in G. D tunes are common in both, of course.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

highland-piper wrote:
MusicalADD wrote:I guess I'm looking at this more or less backwards -- having played nothing but Irish trad in recent years, I'm trying to build more of an Appalachian / Irish cross-over repertoire, so I can join some co-workers in the local bluegrass jams that happen in the area....
Go to one with a recorder. Go to the second one with some tunes. What's the question?
Have you ever done the thing you're suggesting? In a related question: as a highland piper, do you have any experience at improvisation?

Given that bluegrass players tend to improvise, and they're perfectly willing to take a shot at tunes they've never heard before, well, which tunes are more likely to be easily picked up?

Earl's Chair has a simpler melody, which I'm suspecting will be easier to improvise over... but that's just a guess. A bluegrass fiddler could hear it once or twice and have a vague sense of how it's supposed to sound. Then when it's the fiddler's turn to take a solo, they might have a good chance of improvising something appropriate -- something that bears some resemblance of the actual tune. In my head I can imagine some nice double-stops over the A part.

But when I imagine playing, say, Wise Maid at a bluegrass session, I imagine it wouldn't go so well. There's a lot going on in the melody, the B part in particular. Again I'm just guessing, so, I'm guessing that a bluegrass fiddler who's never heard Wise Maid before might need more than a couple of listens before they're ready to improvise over that melody. Of course it will vary from fiddler to fiddler.

I've learned hundreds of Irish tunes in recent years, many of which I learned by taking a taking a recorder to a session. But, for me, it will still be something of an experiment to show up at the bluegrass jam and fire off some reels they've never heard before. I'd like to maximize the chances of that experiment succeeding.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MusicalADD wrote:
highland-piper wrote:Go to one with a recorder. Go to the second one with some tunes.
Have you ever done the thing you're suggesting? But, for me, it will still be something of an experiment to show up at the bluegrass jam and fire off some reels they've never heard before. I'd like to maximize the chances of that experiment succeeding.
ADD, highland-piper answered your question pretty clearly. Yes, going to a bluegrass session with a tape or digital recorder and listening is a great first step. Then you have a good idea what tunes you can show up with. I think if you show up at any session, Irish, bluegrass, kwela or what-have-you, with a set of tunes and start "firing them off" you'll probably get a chilly reception. Find out what that group is playing and fit in with that.

To answer your second question, yes, I showed up with a digital recorder to a bluegrass session (I still take it and record tunes I haven't heard). They though that was a great way learn tunes.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
R Small

Post by R Small »

Blazer-- a good source for both Irish and American tunes is the "Fiddler's Fakebook" by David Brody, Oak Publications. 500 tunes of classic stuff.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Here are some free ones, (unless, of course, you like them). http://www.petimarpress.com/books.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jking01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jking01 »

i second the fiddlers fakebook. has a really good range of tunes.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"