Curved airway flat blade?!Susato fun

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

The Clarkes original curved blade flat airway set-up got me thinking how this would sound in reverse on a Susato... so I filed the curved blade of my susato Dublin flat(I know,I'm a maniac)and did my guitar plectrum tweak using a yellow Jim Dunlop Tortex pick.The result?Its THE most dramatic improvement of an existing whistle by tweaking I have ever experienced.Does anyone know of any existing whistles that feature this design? :smile: Mike
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Hi Mike, I don't know if other whistle designs have this, but I do. I did a tweak on a Susato high D VSB. I just trimmed back the blade and put in a little piece of flat plastic to do the job. It's now one of my favorite quieter whistles. Let me be delicate about this...I wasn't fond of this whisle avant-tweak. This improved the tone, while keeping that famous Susato in-tune-with-itself thing.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

THE most dramatic improvement of an existing whistle by tweaking
That's a lovely sentence!

Why don't you buy a bunch, tweak them, then sell them for a $25 profit? There are probably plenty of people on the board who are curious enough to fork over the dough. (Of course, I'd get mine for free for the suggestion. :smile:)

JP
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Mike,
Would you mind elaborating a little on what you used to file down the blade and how you went about doing this? It sounds like a promising tweak...I've had some recent success with some silly putty on my Susato; something more permanent would be nice.
Micah
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Mike, does the tweak make the whistle quieter? Any effect on chiff or breathiness?
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Thanks John...its a good idea and definately worth some thought :smile:

Micah,I used a small flat mill file to do this.Ater filing it should resemble the Alba whistle style blade..just trim the edge with a hobby knife to reveal the curvature.The overlay positioning will require some experimentation to locate the optimum depth and angle..I used blue tack for this,a very small amount is enough to hold the new blade in position and when you are satisfied a few drops of superglue will hold it in position.Good luck and good tweaking.:smile:

Ridsheard,the tone is very sweet and complex,has good satisfying chiff and exhibits a great 2nd oct with less volume and shrillness.The new tone is so diferent from its former sound,comparisons to quality whistles with flat narrow airways are no exageration. mike :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-11-06 11:41 ]</font>
johnbunch

Post by johnbunch »

Mike,

This sounds very interesting. Is there any chance you could post a few pictures of the final results and a sound file?

Thanks!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-11-05 23:48, JohnPalmer wrote:
THE most dramatic improvement of an existing whistle by tweaking
That's a lovely sentence!

Why don't you buy a bunch, tweak them, then sell them for a $25 profit? There are probably plenty of people on the board who are curious enough to fork over the dough. (Of course, I'd get mine for free for the suggestion. :smile:)

JP

Seriously. I know I would consider buying something like this, if the price were not TOO dear.

Redwolf
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I have an update on this tweak.I figured out a way to attach the replacement blade(now in black) without the use of any sort of adhesive..it simply "clips" in for easy removal to allow fine adjustment and positioning over a few days if needed before committing to a more permanent seating.I now have three improved susatos,two D's and a C and they all sound magnificent.I'll try and organize some way to post some photos..I'm sorry,I'm just not set up to do this at this time.Redwolf if you , or indeed anyone else,are interested in aquiring one of these please contact me via private message box with your Email adress and we'll sort something out.:smile: Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-11-09 15:17 ]</font>
CDon

Post by CDon »

Mike, in the absence of a photo (I understand that), could you elaborate a bit on the size and shape of the clip-in replacement blade. Is it just slightly wide and held in by simple friction on the 'sides' of the original ramp?
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I gave my Susato C the treatment described above, and, as described by Mike, the effect was pretty radical...nice sound! I tried it first with a piece of a business card, and that sounded incredible--better than the medium guitar pick I finally used, so perhaps thinner is better. Paper, of course, isn't quite durable enough, but maybe a really thin quitar pick might work well.
Micah
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-11-12 19:44, CDon wrote:
Mike, in the absence of a photo (I understand that), could you elaborate a bit on the size and shape of the clip-in replacement blade. Is it just slightly wide and held in by simple friction on the 'sides' of the original ramp?
CDon,this is correct..begin with a slightly oversized clip-in blade and reduce it until a precise fit is achieved without forcing it.This is not as easy as it sounds and it took some time to get it exactly right.After a few days when you are satisfied with the positioning, simply pivote the back of the blade slightly upward and insert a drop of superglue and press back into position.Size and positioning should be a little more than 50% of the window area but making it longer helps in handleing, positioning and beveling the blade edge(critical!)...I do this on the underside as well as the top and experimentation and care is the key here for that killer tone.The surplus can be cut away later on. Good tweaking! :)Mike
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Hehehe. I can't wait to take a file to my Susatos. (Haven't I often stolen glances at the hacksaw when playing them?)

Do you think the type of plectrum is critical? I am no expert there. Thanks for this tip, Mike.
/Bloomfield
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-11-14 09:43, Micah wrote:
I gave my Susato C the treatment described above, and, as described by Mike, the effect was pretty radical...nice sound! I tried it first with a piece of a business card, and that sounded incredible--better than the medium guitar pick I finally used, so perhaps thinner is better. Paper, of course, isn't quite durable enough, but maybe a really thin quitar pick might work well.
Micah
Congratulations !I like the "Tortex" picks because of the extremely thin rigidity they offer... .73mm is about right for me. :smile: Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-11-14 11:32 ]</font>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Reviving an old thread, here.

I picked up a bunch of the thinnest tortex picks (red) the other day. Now that the GenSindt is up, I can feel my Susatos quaking in their drawer....

But where the Proust do I get a really small flat file? Are they the ones called jeweller's files?

[edited to take out the reflection on YOU.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2003-01-16 17:53 ]</font>