Which option to pursue?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Which option to pursue?

Post by caedmon »

The wife and I agreed to spend $50 on each other for Christmas. I want an equalizer pedal for my bass guitar, and that will will me with $25 for a new whistle(s). I was thinking of rounding out my selection of keys and getting the Generation G,F and Eb whistles.

Then the thought came to mind that maybe I should I look into a higher quality High D.

I am of the opinion that I am serious enough the whistle to continue on, learning new songs, and taking the slow to road to proficiency, and sometimes you just gotta buy a better whistle to get you past that next plateau.

So, what is in the $25 to $30 price range for a whistle of better quality than the Generation High D?
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
dwilbur3

Re: Which option to pursue?

Post by dwilbur3 »

caedmon wrote:The wife and I agreed to spend $50 on each other for Christmas. I want an equalizer pedal for my bass guitar, and that will will me with $25 for a new whistle(s). I was thinking of rounding out my selection of keys and getting the Generation G,F and Eb whistles.

Then the thought came to mind that maybe I should I look into a higher quality High D.

I am of the opinion that I am serious enough the whistle to continue on, learning new songs, and taking the slow to road to proficiency, and sometimes you just gotta buy a better whistle to get you past that next plateau.

So, what is in the $25 to $30 price range for a whistle of better quality than the Generation High D?
I'll be the first (and perhaps the last) to suggest a Susato. I love all of mine, the S series C (I don't have an S series D but I'm sure it would be great too) and the V series D are my favorites.
dwilbur3

Post by dwilbur3 »

caedmon wrote:The wife and I agreed to spend $50 on each other for Christmas. I want an equalizer pedal for my bass guitar, and that will will me with $25 for a new whistle(s). I was thinking of rounding out my selection of keys and getting the Generation G,F and Eb whistles.
To be the devil's advocate, I'd recommend Tipple flutes in the mid range (low in whistlespeak) for G, F and Eb. I love my G Tipple.

If you're wanting the high range instead, buy some earplugs as well. (For you and the Missus!)
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

$25-30 price range for a soprano D whistle? First one to mind is the Dixon Trad. Next, Carey Parks Ghost whistle is $25 if you want a non-metal option. Both nice whistles.

**Warning, if you stick with the Generation G whistle idea .... the high G is a very small whistle. If you have medium to large hands, it will be hard to play. The tone holes are tiny and at very close quarters.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Susato "S" series are less than $40 and are very good players. Nice and loud with a strong and stable 1st octave. Upper range gets a little piercing. The smaller bore model "VS" should be a little softer.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

caedmon wrote:

a whistle of better quality than the Generation High D?

Tweak your Generation D?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Any chance of getting you to tuck away the $25 for something even better next Christmas/next time you're due a present? I'm in the same shoes myself. I plan on forsaking a present here and a present there so that I can get what a really want a couple of years from now. I think I own enough whistles and other minor instruments for my current needs.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

I did consider the tweak route on my Gen D. Maybe see if I can mail it to someone to have it tweaked?

As for socking away the $25 for a future whistle, this is more a formality so we have something to wrap up. I tend to buy whatever I want throughout the year. :)
Chad Wilson

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

caedmon wrote:I did consider the tweak route on my Gen D. Maybe see if I can mail it to someone to have it tweaked?

OK, PM sent.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

caedmon wrote:The wife and I agreed to spend $50 on each other for Christmas...

But you still have a whole $50 to spend on a whistle for your wife ;-)
Actually, that might not be a wise move. I bought my other half a CD of Nepalise chant once and just about lived to regret it. She bought me a handbag for my birthday that year. Happy days....
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

R Small wrote:Susato "S" series are less than $40 and are very good players. Nice and loud with a strong and stable 1st octave. Upper range gets a little piercing. The smaller bore model "VS" should be a little softer.

My recommendation would be for Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles and in particular his superb 'Mellow Dog'. With your budget you can afford the D & C set.

Susato would also be a good choice. Either the VS series D or the richer and sweeter sounding S series C. The C is kinder to the ears and great for long practice sessions.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

hoopy mike wrote:But you still have a whole $50 to spend on a whistle for your wife ;-)
:lol:

Actually, we get each other corny gifts all the time. Being adults with money, we don't wait for holidays to get what we want. We budget for it, then buy it. It makes Christmas and Chanukah shopping an exercise in humor. :)

She has shown an interest in learning guitar, but not whistle...yet.
Chad Wilson

usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

Dixon Trad (Brass, I say) is the first thing comes to mind. Its about $25 even. It gets tremendous reviews. The Freemans are great too but they are more than $25.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Tommy wrote:
caedmon wrote:I did consider the tweak route on my Gen D. Maybe see if I can mail it to someone to have it tweaked?

OK, PM sent.
Received and replied to.

This is cool. And given the incredible deal Tommy is giving me, this still leaves me with what to do with $25 now. Oh, the humanity!
Chad Wilson

Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

usfenderfsdlx wrote:The Freemans are great too but they are more than $25.
Please note pricing. A tweaked brass D Generation is $27.50. A tweaked D Feadog is $24.50. (A tweaked Bb Generation is only $28.50.)

Freeman tweaked D Generation soundclip
Freeman tweaked D Feadog soundclip
Freeman tweaked Bb Generation soundclip

BLACKBIRD SUG.RET.
Blackbird Eb $36.50
Blackbird D $36.50
Blackbird C $36.50
Blackbird set (Eb, D and C) $99.65

MELLOW DOG
Mellow Dog D $36.50
Mellow Dog D/C set
(one head, two bodies) $41.50