Good whistles with low volume?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pammy
antispam: No

Re: Good whistles with low volume?

Post by Pammy »

My SweeTone isn't very quiet. My husband prefers my attempts at learning the fiddle to my playing a tune on the sweetone :boggle:
Says it goes straight through him
There's no accounting for some people is there :)
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
jvann

Post by jvann »

My first post here, but have been lurking for a few months! For a quiet whistle I purchased a Jim Becker Bb(which is a very nice pvc whistle for $8 shipped) and experimented with making a mute for it from a 15 cent pvc coupler. I just measured the windway and used a hacksaw to cut a ring off the coupler, then made a little cutout for the windway with a dremel tool. This took about 15 minutes. The ring slides right on and by rotating it you can mute the sound to almost a whisper. My wife finally likes the sound it makes(in that she can't hear it anymore).
I'm so pleased by it that I'm looking into a Parks Everywhistle or Walkabout which is done by an expert, can be tuned, and broken down for travel. I'd attach a picture, but haven't quite figured out how to do that here. I've also done the paperclip method on my Sweetone and that works too, but not as quiet as the muted Becker.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Pammy wrote:My SweeTone isn't very quiet. My husband prefers my attempts at learning the fiddle to my playing a tune on the sweetone :boggle:
Says it goes straight through him
Well, they do have pointy ends :-)
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

You can always use a mute. I usually use electrical tape, like this. The width of the tape controls how much muting you get.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well, whaddya know? :oops: That's the simplest, most effective mute I've ever tried. Brings any one of my whistles down to a mere whisper. And it's totally adjustable. Thanks, BoneQuint! :thumbsup:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

hoopy mike wrote: Well, they do have pointy ends :-)
What, husbands?? :shock:
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!