Professionals choice, for Performance, movie tracks, stage..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Professionals choice, for Performance, movie tracks, stage..

Post by mutepointe »

I enjoyed this thread. I play what comes my way. I've never thought bad of my instruments but now I'll think better.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I think everyone has nailed it here.

Thing about whistles is they are chaos creatures - no 2 are exactly alike, no matter who made them and how they were made.

A "professional" player will get whatever he/she can to do the job. If it's your bread-and-butter, then it makes sense to have a pallete of instruments to meet the range of challenges on-going.

Each life has its own thread, it will contact other threads. There are very few whistle makers in the world each with his/her own thread. There are very few whistle "professionals" in the world .. whistles are great for reducing the world into human dimensions. Even with this reduction, it is all still vast.

I like to think the scenery is better than any other ;)

Above all - it's all still in its infancy - the nature of whistles will continue to ensure it never, ever grows up.

The growth in players and makers will forever be cyclic - the greatness never gets recorded in the concsciousness of the flow -it comes, enriches, and fades .. and, so, continues to renew itself - never better or worse. This has been the case for the 25 thousand years we know about. It's a swirl of nature - you either join it or never knew it was going on. And it will never change. We partake of a rare fruit of the earth - or have never lived..
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

MTGuru wrote:
My understanding is that Crawford took to playing Susatos at gigs because he was tired of having his more expensive whistles stolen or lost while on the road. Sindt and O'Riordan players are essentially choosing fancy Generations, and might be just as happy playing a good Gen (and Gens are basically universal). Brian Finnegan chooses Goldie/Overtons because he said they particularly suit his big air and volume preferences and his hyper-trad stylistic approach.

Can anyone shed some light on the Ian Corrigan Whistles that Kevin talks about on the band forum? Cant find a website or any info on a search. :)
Duff

Post by Duff »

Chris, Ian Corrigan makes whistles under the company name of Deerness Pipes. At this moment his website isn't working for me, but the Deerness Pipes MySpace is.

(This one doesn't work for me)
http://www.formedeconphotography.co.uk/ ... stles.html

http://www.myspace.com/deernesspipes

And, of course, the obligatory Chiff and Fipple discussion topic:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53159

Edit: I should also mention that I by no means have a thorough knowledge of whistle and/or pipe makers, but I am actually an advanced, top-secret internet private investigator. As in, I use Google.
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

Duff wrote:Chris, Ian Corrigan makes whistles under the company name of Deerness Pipes. At this moment his website isn't working for me, but the Deerness Pipes MySpace is.

(This one doesn't work for me)
http://www.formedeconphotography.co.uk/ ... stles.html

http://www.myspace.com/deernesspipes

And, of course, the obligatory Chiff and Fipple discussion topic:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53159

Edit: I should also mention that I by no means have a thorough knowledge of whistle and/or pipe makers, but I am actually an advanced, top-secret internet private investigator. As in, I use Google.
:lol: Cheers Duff! Some good googling there!
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Mickey Dunne is more of a piper, but when he plays whistle it's O'Brien tweaked
Short bio: 1952-
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I just did a church gig over the weeked. I was hired to play uilleann pipes in an enemble that consisted of piano, guitar, harp, trumpet, cello, oboe, and flute.

The flute guy was the typical sort of pro I often run into, and showed up at the gig with his professional Boehm flute, a soprano sax, and a bag full of various Irish whistles and bansuri bamboo flutes.

So at the rehearsal before the service the choir director asks him if he has a pennywhistle for a particular solo in a certain song and the guy produces from his bag an interesting unfamiliar-looking D whistle.

In the rehearsal all goes well with this guy's whistle solo but during the actual service his whistle just honks and burbles every time the poor guy tries to hit high B. After the gig I showed him my whistles, my bag full of Generations and Burkes and Susatos and my MK and, upon seeing that I too play whistle, explains that during his whistle solo he found that the windway of his whistle was all clogged with moisture and wouldn't hit high B no matter how he blew. (Funny... I've never had that happen on any of my high whistles, and among Low D's only on Overtons.)

Anyhow I had him give a toot on my MK Low D, my Susato Low C, and Burke F and A and I think he'll be ordering some Burkes and maybe an MK soon. (It can happen like that with these pros. At one gig I had a guy try a Burke and the next day he ordered a dozen Burkes in various keys. It's all a tax writeoff for these guys.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
tucson_whistler

the chimera rises! :)

Post by tucson_whistler »

MTGuru wrote:.OTOH, any of these players can make any whistle sound fine. And while some are consistent in their choices, and worth noting, the whistle you see them playing on any given occasion may reflect nothing more than the needs or whim of the moment or their current favorite or a dozen other factors, and not an implicit statement about the "best whistle".

I used to see this problem in the music retail business all the time. Kids would come in and say, "I want the same guitar that X plays, because I want to sound like X". Not considering that X played dozens of personal instruments, and special ordered or customized his main instruments beyond all recognition. Guitar marketers were happy to oblige by offering "X Signature Models" to the unwary - sometimes good, sometimes nothing more than a signature. The only whistle I've seen take this approach is the infamous Davy Spillane whistle, more a chimera than anything.
the chimera rises! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1182

:)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yep. Bloomfield documented the beastie here:

viewtopic.php?t=28982
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Mitch wrote:The growth in players and makers will forever be cyclic - the greatness never gets recorded in the concsciousness of the flow -it comes, enriches, and fades .. and, so, continues to renew itself - never better or worse. This has been the case for the 25 thousand years we know about. It's a swirl of nature - you either join it or never knew it was going on. And it will never change. We partake of a rare fruit of the earth - or have never lived..
Between MT's music theory posts and Mitch's philosophy posts, I spend quite a few hours pondering. At least they have the grace to spread them out a bit. Thanks for the thoughts, guys.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well, OK.

In addition to this wonderful old Bb Generation, and other whistles on various of his recordings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxu0cclU9M ...

Vinnie Kilduff plays Freeman Blackbirds. In the next week or two, he'll put down soundclips of all the Freeman whistles, which I'll post as soon as they're available.

I sat for about an hour with Kevin Crawford, Cillian Vallely and Ted Davis Saturday night. Kevin already had done some performances with a Freeman tweaked D Generation I sent him last fall. He went through a selection of all my whistles and invariably picked a tweaked brass Generation in each key. He later commented on Facebook that he played them on his next gig on the tour.

Cillian picked out a Mellow Dog in D and a Blackbird in C (same whistlehead, but that makes the D a wide bore whistle and the C a standard bore whistle).

Ted picked out a D Blackbird.

The fascinating thing was, each whistle sounded better or worse depending on who was playing it. It wasn't simply that each picked out the sound he liked best, it was that each player sounded best on a certain whistle and each whistle sounded best with a certain player. Very interesting, and reinforces some of the things MTGuru said in an earlier post.

On Saturday, Kevin and Cillian played a tune on F whistles. I believe Kevin told me his low F is a Grinter. Cillian's low F may have been an Overton, but I didn't look closely or ask about it.

Lawrence Nugent plays Blackbirds. When he was visiting with Peter Maguire a few months ago, he tried one I had given Peter at the Pipers' Gathering last summer. Peter reported that Lawrence had loved the whistle, so I sent him an Eb/D/C Blackbird set. He phoned a week or so later and made it clear he's quite thrilled with them.

And Brid O'Donohue has some Blackbirds she likes. She was helpful in sorting out the various prototypes and selecting the final version. Her son Liam played a C Blackbird at the Micho Russell Concert in Doolin a couple of weeks ago.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Edited to add: I looked up Vinnie Kilduff on lala.com and found him playing other keys of high whistles, and I also recall a YouTube clip where he's playing a low D. I've no notion what makes of whistles they were.
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HissingSid

Post by HissingSid »

I was having a ferret around on Tony Hinnigan's site the other day. Although he favours his Abell for recording and raves about the Oz he says that when he is asked to attend a recording he takes a large bag full of whistles and flutes and lets the director choose the sound quality he is looking for.

Cheers

HS
Mason

Post by Mason »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Vinnie Kilduff plays Freeman Blackbirds. In the next week or two, he'll put down soundclips of all the Freeman whistles, which I'll post as soon as they're available.
I hope you'll put these up a.s.a.p. This will be very helpful.

Man, on that clip you put up by Vinnie on the Gen. Bb - I've never heard anything that beautiful! That is exactly the kind of playing I have been looking for. I could listen to this guy all day!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Mason wrote:Man, on that clip you put up by Vinnie on the Gen. Bb - I've never heard anything that beautiful! That is exactly the kind of playing I have been looking for. I could listen to this guy all day!
I've listened to that clip a lot. Vinnie contacted me awhile back to tell me he was enjoying a C Blackbird he had gotten, so I went online and looked up as many of his clips as I could find.

He also plays mandolin, and I believe you can hear the mandolin influence in the precise timing and strength of his finger vibrato, which in certain instances, he raises to the level of a sustained trill. It reminds me of the way a mandolin player creates a sustained note on a single pair of strings by "tremolo" picking.

Best wishes,
Jerry
fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I know this thread is old, but I had a (somewhat) funny story to share. I'm a concert flutist (student) who's branching out into ethnic instruments with the aims be one of the studio 'pros' mentioned in this thread. My teacher is one of the top recording flutists in hollywood and he told me about this time that he picked up a neon green whistle for $2 at the flea market. The next day he was going to be playing with someone at the Grammy's. They asked him to bring all of his whistles and he threw them all in the trunk (he has TON), and threw in the neon green one for kicks.

When he arrived and laid them all out, sure enough... the neon green whistle was the one that they wanted! So here he was, one of the top flutists in the country playing a $2 neon green whistle on national television. Haha! And he said to me: 'And to think of how much money I've spent on the other ones, and they wanted a bright green thing that I picked up for almost nothing!'

So yes indeed! They will use whatever is best suited to the occasion (even if it is just to keep the conductor happy).

Cheers.

Oh. P.S. Even though I'll never be a genuine whistle player, I'm sure learning a lot on this board! Thanks for putting up all this great information! I just got a Low D and low F whistle (both susatos) the other day and I'm having a blast. :D