your best/worst whistle compliments?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

your best/worst whistle compliments?

Post by MarkP »

popped into Sean Ryan and Pat Conneeley's little Sunday afternoon session recently for a listen and was invited up to give a set (one of those invitiations you simultaneously crave/dread). Took a punt on a set of jigs I'd had in my head but hadn't played before, however all went well enough and to much applause. Anyway, the local wag and story teller comes over later to compliment on the playing and says, 'sure it was lovely, like listening to two butterflies dancing'.

On the one hand I'm thinking that's probably the nicest whistling compliment I've had; on the other hand I'm thinking so we weren't playing anywhere close to the same settings then!

What's your best/worst compliments?
Mark
Innocent Bystander

Re: your best/worst whistle compliments?

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My worst compliment was from a lady waiting to be served in the chip shop, who had heard me playing whistle and willow-flute in the park while she was walking her dog.

"It sounds very difficult," she said.

"Am I *that* bad?" I asked her.

It might have been a day when I was practicing a difficult tune, or a day when they wind was gusting in all directions. It knocked a hole in my confidence anyway, even when she said she enjoyed it.

The other one is when I've been asked to play and I've played something traditional and they ask "Did you make that one up?"

I'm still not sure how to react to that one.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
ctilbury
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ctilbury »

My wife gives me "the look" while I practice and I know it is time to move outside. :wink:
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

"My daughter is learning the recorder too."
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

"Dad, I think you should just play the deeper ones, they dont hurt my ears so bad"
my 13 yr old :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Wife after I finished playing the latest tune I learned, "wow...you are getting better....I am not cringing nearly as much when you first started to learn whistle".

That and I have noticed that the local wildlife is starting to visit again....so I guess it is getting better.

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
http://www.rap4th.com/tinwhistle/
swb

Post by swb »

I've told this one here before, but I will never forget when my 5 year old niece said to me: "You sound like a CD!"

cheers: Scott
"The more I practice the luckier I git."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The most memorable compliments have been when other musicians have asked me to perform with them.

OTOH, nothing makes me feel better about my playing then when I see people moving in time with what I'm playing :)

I was berated once in a slow session (at a certain week-long summer workshop) for starting a Bothy Band tune! That was memorable as well. The broader point was that listening to older, more traditional players is important - and it was a good point to make.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On a warm summer day with all the doors and windows open I was playing along with some tunes on the Amazing Slow Downer. I finished and stepped out the front door to read awhile on the front porch and I was surprised by an ovation from my neighbors and their friends who were sitting on their front porch. (Our houses are only about 20 feet away from each other) "We didn't know you could play a tin whistle like that," they said. Needless to say, they didn't hear all the mistakes I hear while I'm playing so I felt pretty good. I went inside, grabbed the whistle and gave them an impromptu demonstration.
Mike
drbald1

Post by drbald1 »

I was on a trip once, and got a cabin in a small campground for the evening. After settling down for the evening I pulled out my whistle and played a few slower tunes as a way of winding down the day.

The next morning I heard a number of fellow campers at breakfast discussing their attempts to find the "flute thingy" they'd heard. By the time they'd wandered over by the cabins I was done, and they apparently searched for quite a while.

I mentioned it was me, and they thanked me for the music.

That's the best, I think...when you play for yourself and other people are pleasantly surprised at the gift of music.
-Be Good,
Brian
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Best:
When a fellow musician said, "O, O, O, play this song with me." And they got totally bummed when I didn't have a flute that covered the range for the key the song was in.
Worst:
"How long you been playing?"
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I think sometimes the best compliment is when you walk into a group of really good players, pull out your whistle, and join in on the chunes. And afterwards they say ... nothing. As if it were the most natural thing in the world for you to be playing with them. Maybe a few smiles in your direction, or a friendly bit of craic.

Subtle compliments can be the most satisfying. :-)

Worst compliment: "Wow, that sounds just like Lord of the Rings! Makes me think of Hobbits!"

OK, this was a few years ago when the LOTR movies were big. And cheers to Alan Doherty and Joanie Madden, whose fine whistling actually graces the soundtrack. But, you know ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

We live in a townhouse community and houses are very close.

Worst: A few years ago my wife shut the front door so the sound wouldn't drift to the neighbors.

Best: I play virtually every night and my neighbors (music professors and professional musicians) can't help but hear the music because of the way the houses and windows are situated. They say they like my music. But the best was that their nine year old daughter told them "I'm glad we live next door to someone who plays the flute."
Keith
janmarie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by janmarie »

I go to my favorite Bed and Breakfast, relax and play my whistle because there is usually no other guests. I'd just sit outside on the hill and play. In July I went back again and there was a small group of ladies there also. The owner asked if I would play the whistle while they had breakfast.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

Best: "I liked it!" - after just making up a tune

Worst: "Ok, that's enough darling" - said with that look of pitty mixed with "if you play another note, I'll kill you"