Irish Washerwoman

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Irish Washerwoman

Post by caedmon »

The song may be over-used, but I like Irish Washerwoman. I have begun learning this classic tune on me whistle. It is a fun song. And there are ample samples on youtube.

This would be my first official jig I am learning.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Irish Washerwoman

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's funny, I've been listening to and playing ITM for 30 years+ and I've never heard a "real" ITM musician play it except on a 78 from the 1920's.

I've actually worked up a flute/whistle version which gives the tune a style which ITM players would find acceptable, I think. I had to rework the tune a bit to make it fit our concept of the structure of ITM.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Few tunes are ever overused for being bad. To attain that status, they had to be pretty good melodies in the first place.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Can we have a look at your tune then, Panceltic Piper? And maybe hear it?

Best wishes.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

pancelticpiper wrote:It's funny, I've been listening to and playing ITM for 30 years+ and I've never heard a "real" ITM musician play it except on a 78 from the 1920's.

I've actually worked up a flute/whistle version which gives the tune a style which ITM players would find acceptable, I think. I had to rework the tune a bit to make it fit our concept of the structure of ITM.
Mr Internet says that over the years it's been recorded by fake ITM players like Patsy Touhey, Joe Derrane and Jerry O'Brien, Paddy Glackin, Sean Og Potts, & Ed Reavey.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I have an idle notion that you might be able to play "The St. Patrick's Day March" alongside "The Irish Washerwoman" and get something slightly better than either one.

Haven't managed to convince anyone to let me try it with them, though.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

s1m0n wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:It's funny, I've been listening to and playing ITM for 30 years+ and I've never heard a "real" ITM musician play it except on a 78 from the 1920's.

Mr Internet says that over the years it's been recorded by fake ITM players like Patsy Touhey, Joe Derrane and Jerry O'Brien, Paddy Glackin, Sean Og Potts, & Ed Reavey.

That's interesting, I didn't know so many had recorded it. I've only heard it on old 78's by the likes of Touhey.

Of course Touhey, in addition to being a great traditional uilleann piper, played all the hokey tin-pan-alley stuff of his day, and was a stand-up comedian.

This reminds me of a story a fiddler friend told me: he went into a violin shop to buy some rosin or whatever, and the woman there, the owner and a good "classical" violinist, asked my friend what sort of music he played on violin. "Irish music" he replied.

"Oh, I play Irish music too!" she said, tucked her violin under her chin, and proceeded to play Irish Washerwoman entirely staccato, with the bow bouncing up and down on and off the strings for each note.

Also, for some reason, every pseudo-Irish band plays Irish Washerwoman where they start out rather slow and keep speeding it up until it's a blaze of notes. They think it's a show-stopper, that it's somehow really impressive.

The versions of this tune one usualy hears, likewise played by people clueless about ITM, don't have a form that fits what we think of as being acceptable ITM. That's why I put rolls etc in it, to make it sound like a normal Irish "double jig".
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
david_h

Post by david_h »

Time for this one again ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JAP7Kf1cI
Who's the guy with the beard ?
Does that illustrate both S1m0n's and pancelticpiper's views ?
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

david_h wrote:Time for this one again ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JAP7Kf1cI
Who's the guy with the beard ?
Does that illustrate both S1m0n's and pancelticpiper's views ?
Drop a YouTube bomb on us, will you? Well take this! and This!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEHmmhS4f0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQ-368Q5wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnmCgzjvMQ
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
david_h

Post by david_h »

As the OP said
caedmon wrote: ... It is a fun song...
I liked the sax arrangment.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

sadley, this jig keeps getting pushed to the bottom of my 'to learn' list as its less fun the the other obscure hornpipes / funkey reels / videogame theme music which usually populated said list.

im sure i will get round to it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

pancelticpiper wrote:Drop a YouTube bomb on us, will you? Well take this! and This!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEHmmhS4f0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQ-368Q5wg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnmCgzjvMQ
Yikes! Then there's the song based on said tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_S7MSgwwI#t=12s
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I still can't get a hold of this tune. I have the first part down, but the very last part just throws me off.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It's certainly not a terribly simple tune.
The Sailor's Hornpipe (the one Popeye
sings) gives me similar problems.
Kamin

Post by Kamin »

Thanks to the OP, I've been trying to figure out what tune that was for a few years. Now that I know there is a "tune that must not be named" type of disdain following it, I will attempt to learn it out of curiousity, then be careful never to play it in public :D

Another one that was terribly familiar yet escaped me for a bit was "Rakes of Mallow". Any other songs that would come to mind, ones that most everyone associates with Irish music (whether they be ITM in origin or not)?