Irish Washerwoman

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Irish Washerwoman

Post by Nanohedron »

Speaking as a Yank, my impression of The Irish Washerwoman is that, within the U.S. at least, it is one of those hugely iconic tunes for those who don't otherwise have much intimate contact with ITM. As such, it has taken on a cliché status for That Which Is Irish through no fault of its own, and the ITM player can understandably feel he or she is "pandering" when playing it. Before someone flattens me, let me point out that these are observations, not judgements.

I recall the tune being the program music time and time again on cartoons and such when anything "Irish" was indicated, so I have to admit that a certain amount of discomfort with the cultural stereotyping that has been done in connection with the tune keeps me from seriously taking it on. That, and the B section on flute simply sucks big-time at my level of playing. If I played fiddle, I might have yet another guilty pleasure. Not that I need any more. :wink:

I notice that The Fiddler's Companion (scroll down) treats it with a fair amount of attention.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Bloomfield wrote:A friend was in Galway years ago and asked to start a set. She played the Sligo Maid, and got teased for starting "that Sligo tune." But no one was turning their noses up, of course, just taking the mickey.
I wonder how often good-natured slagging is misunderstood. I was chatting to a couple "born & bred" Irish folks in San Francisco a few years ago, a fiddler and his older pal. The second gent asked if I played music, and I said, "well, I play bones." To which he replied, in the manner of one misunderstood in a noisy bar, "ah no, I said MUSIC." I thought it was hilarious.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think of it as a civil war fife tune (“Corporal Casey”?) that has been over used by cartoons. Badly used it has received a bad name and has associations. It was appreciated by one generation and rejected (because of their associations) by another. Cartoons use to produce things for a wide group of people. Foghorn Leghorn was based off of Senator Claghorn, Foghorn's theme music was "The Chicken Reel". It was an in-joke to the parents lost on their children. There was no context for their children other than a childish cartoon figure.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've heard native born Irish immigrants to north america object to the stereotyping in the title, in the same way they'd never miss an opportunity to set straight anyone who said "the Londonderry Air". Or the way that an awful lot of venerable old time and bluegrass tune titles get amended to "Man in the woodpile", etc., from a substantially less couth original. She was perfectly happy to play the tune, as long as we called it The Irish Woman", tho.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

fearfaoin wrote: But I wonder what caused such tunes as
Rakes of Mallow and Irish Washerwoman
to be placed in the collective subconscious?
Were they used in Vaudeville? A Bugs Bunnny
cartoon?
I do believe the Irish Washerwoman makes at least one appearance in Bugs Bunny. There are a few cartoons with a Leprechaum. I'm pretty sure at one point the Leprechaun is up to no good and bugs pulls out a fiddle and plays IW, which of course, forces the Leprechaun to drop everything he's doing and dance a jig.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

BoneQuint wrote:I wonder how often good-natured slagging is misunderstood.
Good point.
chas wrote:I do believe the Irish Washerwoman makes at least one appearance in Bugs Bunny.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Many Americans got a
surprisingly extensive classical music education
via Loony Toons; why not folk music?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

pancelticpiper wrote:

I too haven't got my invitation. Our local session has recently changed, because a long-established session elsewhere, which lost its venue, has suddenly began showing up as a body, complete with their repertoire developed over a decade or more, little of which I know. Maybe one tune an hour I'll know. So I'm a newbie, back to square one, bringing my recording device and trying to cram a few new tunes a week into my old noggin.

I dunno, seems just fine to me. Can get a little crowded though. The freakin' noisy pub don't help but hey... its a pub.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Finikey O'Reeley

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

Many years ago I set out to learn IWW - the Highland pipe version, as I hadn't fallen victim to the whistle as of then. I wanted to learn it as part of an Irish set to "torment" my (late) wife, who was Irish. Before I had the tune down, she passed away. I couldn't bring myself to continue with it after that, until recently. I now enjoy a hybrid version of it on my whistle. Trad or not, it will always have a spot in my repertoire.
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

The tune is used in the iconic Tom & Jerry cartoon - Mouse Cleaning

Scott Bradley cleverly arranges it to appear in several different forms throughout the action. Quite entertaining.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Aanvil wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:

I too haven't got my invitation. Our local session has recently changed, because a long-established session elsewhere, which lost its venue, has suddenly began showing up as a body, complete with their repertoire developed over a decade or more, little of which I know. Maybe one tune an hour I'll know. So I'm a newbie, back to square one, bringing my recording device and trying to cram a few new tunes a week into my old noggin.

I dunno, seems just fine to me. Can get a little crowded though. The freakin' noisy pub don't help but hey... its a pub.
The session is fantastic. Loads of great players. A while back, when the session suddenly quadrupled in size, I was told that it was the Finn McCools session now showing up at Auld Dub. The result has been, for me, that the hundreds of reels I know are no longer session tunes and I have to learn hundreds of new reels in order to participate. I began bringing a recorder (not that kind) three weeks ago have have learned around a dozen reels since. At this rate I'll know all the tunes by 2015.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Growing up in Belfast Northern Ireland I remember there was a comedian who appeared regularly on TV who was named Jimmy Cricket. He took the piss as a Wellington boot wearing, tuxedoed mammies boy. His theme tune was ‘The Irish Washer Woman’ and he always entered on stage doing a really terrible (but funny) jig. He was very witty and always good for a laugh.
Have a laugh here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4TaV8HEzw
He was responsible for every bloody tourist within earshot requesting this tune, it was quite easy to get around not playing it, a simple ‘Sorry, I don’t know that tune’ would usually suffice. There were always the few die hards who would give you ‘Oh, it goes like this; diddley-diddley-diddley-diddley’. My blank look was usually enough for them to shrug their shoulders and give up.
It is a good tune when played correctly. It just got to the point where it was starting to get into the ‘Danny boy’ league.
I have found that in some sessions here in Australia it has the cringe factor attached to it. It may be that it is one of those tunes that got done to death and if I was to start it up I would not get too many folk joining in. I played the tune a few years ago, solo, on stage at a festival. When I announced what I was going to play I could see a few raised eyebrows and people moving uncomfortably in their seats. I played the tune as a waltz, speeding up and morphing into a jig then playing it as a hornpipe. It is a great tune to play as a hornpipe.
There aren’t too many really bad Irish traditional tunes, but there are plenty of good enough tunes that get played really badly.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
KNQuail

Post by KNQuail »

Nanohedron wrote:Speaking as a Yank, my impression of The Irish Washerwoman is that, within the U.S. at least, it is one of those hugely iconic tunes for those who don't otherwise have much intimate contact with ITM. As such, it has taken on a cliché status for That Which Is Irish through no fault of its own, and the ITM player can understandably feel he or she is "pandering" when playing it. Before someone flattens me, let me point out that these are observations, not judgements.

I recall the tune being the program music time and time again on cartoons and such when anything "Irish" was indicated, so I have to admit that a certain amount of discomfort with the cultural stereotyping that has been done in connection with the tune keeps me from seriously taking it on. That, and the B section on flute simply sucks big-time at my level of playing. If I played fiddle, I might have yet another guilty pleasure. Not that I need any more. :wink:

I notice that The Fiddler's Companion (scroll down) treats it with a fair amount of attention.
It was one of the first tunes I learned back when I attempted to learn the fiddle. :D