Milwaukee Irish Fest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheIrishPatron
antispam: No

Milwaukee Irish Fest

Post by TheIrishPatron »

HI. I was just wondering if anyone else is going to the Milwaukee Irish Fest next weekend. (Aug 14,15,16) Are any of you playing there? I'm always ready to be someone else's fan or take suggestions on bands to check out. Anybody who wants to meet up and talk whistles for a while, that would be cool too.
Kildare? Is that anything like Cleveland?
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Milwaukee Irish Fest

Post by livethe question »

I'll be there but just on Saturday this year. Over the years several of us have got together to visit and try out each other's whistles and flutes but probably most consistenly has been Duffy and myself. I'm up for it if we can find a time a place. I'll have to check the schedule to find an opening.

As far as entertainment, my major "must see" performer this year is Tommy Sands who wrote There Were Roses and other fantastic songs. Natalie McMaster is certainly on my to see list. I also like Frogwater and Stone Ring but I always discover or rediscover someone I like a bunch.

My favorite place to see performers is the Village Pub but they don't always have the acts I want to see in that venue.

If we meet I can bring some of my O'Riordans, Abells, and a nice Silkstone Ace I got from Doc Jones not long ago.

let's see what we can work out.

jim
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

I will be playing with the band "Celtic Keep" at Irish Fest. Stop by and say hello. I will be playing an assortment of whistles, by Gary Humphrey, Mike Burke, and Pat O'Riordan. I look forward to seeing you there.

James
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

James,

I'll try to stop by Saturday evening and say hi.

jim
TheIrishPatron

Post by TheIrishPatron »

I'll be sure to check out Celtic Keep (the audio clip on the festival site sounded great) and the others. I'm there for all three days, and Saturday is wide open for me. I'm not a great musician, but I'll talk about music with anybody. I don't usually tote a lot of whistles around, but I'll at least have an O'Riordan tucked away. I've actually not seen an Abell yet.
sjcavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

HEY GUYS!!!

I'll be there everyday, as I play pipes in the Shamrock Color Guard Pipes and Drums. SO if you see a guy in a solid green kilt with long blond hair that's me, just grab me and we'll hang out. :thumbsup:

If you don't see me, but you see a green kilt ask for Sean Cavanaugh.

Be sure to look me up, as I have alot of friends who play too and would love to meet new chiffers.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

HI. I was just wondering if anyone else is going to the Milwaukee Irish Fest next weekend. (Aug 14,15,16) Are any of you playing there? I'm always ready to be someone else's fan or take suggestions on bands to check out. Anybody who wants to meet up and talk whistles for a while, that would be cool too.

No, Cleveland is more like Achill island.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Every time I see this thread it makes me smile. I still can't quite believe that there's a "Milwaukee Irish Fest"; it sounds like something straight out of The Simpsons. Sounds fun though.
sjcavy wrote:...if you see a guy in a solid green kilt with long blond hair that's me...
Like that's really gonna narrow it down ;-)
TheIrishPatron

Post by TheIrishPatron »

Don't knock Milwaukee! It's the best fest in the states. The most bands, and definitely the best park. Flat and paved and real bathrooms every couple hundred feet. No port-a-potties! On Saturday, I'll be at the Walton tent around 2:00, I'm going to try to catch Stone Ring at the Harp tent at 3:15, and Celtic Keep at 7:30 at Pub Garden. I'll be the big dorky guy with a beard sporting a green shoulder bag and answering to John.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

TheIrishPatron wrote:Don't knock Milwaukee! It's the best fest in the states.
Ah, I wouldn't dream of it. Only messing.
TheIrishPatron wrote: The most bands, and definitely the best park. Flat and paved and real bathrooms every couple hundred feet.
Just like Ireland then! :-D
sjcavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

hey hoopy mike...you'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure for the past 3 years our band members have been the only people wearing an (expensive) solid green kilt. everyone else usually wears some kind of plaid. I tend not to wear my plaid kilt to functions such as that.

And as for more specification I wear a white uniform shirt with patches and a black formal vest.

Sean
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

sjcavy wrote:hey hoopy mike...you'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure for the past 3 years our band members have been the only people wearing an (expensive) solid green kilt. everyone else usually wears some kind of plaid. I tend not to wear my plaid kilt to functions such as that.

And as for more specification I wear a white uniform shirt with patches and a black formal vest.

Sean
see you there then ;-)
TheIrishPatron

Post by TheIrishPatron »

Hoopy Mike -
I didn't see till after I posted where you were located; I understand your disbelief now. :P We loud American music fans have to gather somewhere. Turn-around is fair play though. I saw your myspace page and I can't but grin to see a UK band list bluegrass as part of their genre. That's MY family territory, my friend. You guys sound really good, though.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

TheIrishPatron wrote:Hoopy Mike -
I didn't see till after I posted where you were located; I understand your disbelief now. :P We loud American music fans have to gather somewhere. Turn-around is fair play though. I saw your myspace page and I can't but grin to see a UK band list bluegrass as part of their genre. That's MY family territory, my friend. You guys sound really good, though.
Fair comment on the bluegrass. We actually do a great version of "She'll be coming round the mountain" on fiddle, mandolin and slide guitar. I'm not sure if that counts as bluegrass though! And I don't have any right to be talking about what genuine Irish means, so forgive the gentle messing. My surname might be vaguely Celtic, but that's about it. (I wore a kilt to my wedding, but that's another story.)
TheIrishPatron

Post by TheIrishPatron »

Hoopy-
'round the mountain is a start; I'm waiting to hear you tackle Orange Blossom Special, Bill Monroe style. :thumbsup: