Recommendation for Whistles in Key of A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Boogertown Gap
antispam: No

Recommendation for Whistles in Key of A

Post by Boogertown Gap »

Hi everyone, we incorporate whistle into our rendition of Old-Time Musical performances here in East Tennessee and are looking for a relatively inexpensive Whistle in the Key of A for our programs. We play a lot out of D, Am, A, some G. We have C and D whistles, but looking for a good A. We've searched the forum and found some preferences from you, but still searching for any recent experiences with A whistles.

Has anyone tried the Shaw or Sweetheart A's?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

PS. We want to spend less than $200.00

Peace

Ruth and Keith
Boogertown Gap
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Recommendation for Whistles in Key of A

Post by MTGuru »

Keep in mind that to play in the key of A, you often want to use an E whistle in G fingering, depending on the range of the tune.

That said, a good choice of inexpensive ($67) tunable A whistle is Susato. Good volume for Old Time music, good intonation and clear tone, easy availability direct from Kelischek in NC.

http://www.susato.com/konakart/SelectCat.do?catId=147

For an E whistle, the Susato narrow bore E ($40) or the Dixon Trad E ($28) are good choices.

http://www.susato.com/konakart/SelectCat.do?catId=147
http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/prod ... ID=GR2350E
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Duffy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Duffy »

Might give a thought to Alba. I just had a really sweet lower A on tour. Stacy makes them in either lower or high A, tunable or untunable, well within you budget. An attractive, great sounding, well made whistle. She's easy to do business with (unless she's off at a fair or festival). Find her on line at Alba Whistles. I won an Alba D in a contest and had to put my Burke on the bench.

Mike
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

My Chieftain tunable A is one of my favorites. Spot-on in tune and very sweet sound with good chiff.

Current retail is $180.
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I have a Chieftain tunable A that I would sell (well within your budget), check your PM if interested.

Johnny
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I've played a Sausato and a Shaw. The Sausato had a little wider finger spacing on the bottom hand than the Shaw and I found it uncomfortable. The Shaw, like other wooden fipple whistles, has a lovely tone in the bottom of the range and is breathy. I'm not a huge fan of either, and am anxious to see what other people say here.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FJohnSharp wrote:The Susato had a little wider finger spacing on the bottom hand than the Shaw and I found it uncomfortable.
Like many/most A whistles, the Susato does take piper's grip on the bottom hand, for most people.

david_h

Post by david_h »

What is the typical finger spread compared with a Generation Bb ? Is it usually just a bit more in proportion to the overall length ?
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

I have a Dixon tunable poly A that's very nice. Easy playing, comfortable hole spacing (no piper's grip needed), nice warm/woody flute-like tone. Accurate. Whistle length is 15", center of top hole to center of bottom hole is 5.4375".
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

david_h wrote:What is the typical finger spread compared with a Generation Bb ? Is it usually just a bit more in proportion to the overall length ?
The distance between holes B1 and B3 on the Susato A is 65 mm center to center. The Generation Bb measures 55 mm.

Actually, the B1-B2 distance is 25 mm on both whistles. The Susato's extra 10 mm is entirely in the B2-B3 distance. It's the spread between these 2 fingers which is the usual motivation for piper's grip.

david_h

Post by david_h »

Thanks. Looks like it would be pipers grip for me. Is that typical of A whistles ?
I wonder if it is the Generation that is 'out of proportion' so that it can be within finger pad reach like the rest of their range.
Belinor

Post by Belinor »

I also need to buy A whistle.. For songs that my friend sings in D.. I think about a burke (210dollars) but It's rather expensive for me.. I've tried a susato and I didn't like the sound of A.. And I've tried plastic Dixon.. it's quite.. only play with calm guitar at home.. A Chieftain I think will be too loud for songs..
Huh?
henryz

Post by henryz »

You might consider one of Mack Hoover's whistles. I believe his A whistles are made from 3/4" CPVC. Cost is ~$70 US. Mack can likely voice a whistles to you desired loudness/sweetness.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

You might want to try out Gary Humphrey. His are excellent and less than $200.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

The Whistle Collector wrote:You might want to try out Gary Humphrey. His are excellent and less than $200.
:oops: Never mind, it seems that he doesn't make whistles anymore at the time being.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan